Why are mirrors on modern bikes so crap?

34 Posts | Latest replyย on 01/02/2022 00:21:28 by Ali52 | Go to original / last post
rev667's Profile
rev667

In: Halifax
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

XSR900, stock mirrors, big and heavy, great view of my shoulders/elbows.
Had to change to bar-end mirrors, great for vision, crap for filtering.
All my older bike had fairly good mirrors, apart from the odd vibes.
Is this a scheme to get you to purchase aftermarket mirrors?
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I just got a mate to turn up 2inch extensions to improve my stock Guzzi mirrors. Work great.
T120 stock mirrors were awful. And Triumph charge an arm and a leg to get their bar end mirrors, knowing full well the stock ones need to be dumped.
Africa Twin and Goldwing mirrors are fine.

So, I guess the worst stock mirrors are on retro and cruisers, coz that's all about 'style' rather than usability. Maybe. ๐Ÿค”
Winchester's Profile
Winchester

In: Holbeach
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

Oddly, while the standard Royal Enfield Bullet mirrors leave a lot to be desired, the Thunderbird cruiser(their words not mine) has great mirrors                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

I've got some 2 inch risers on my Strom, much better than looking at my own elbows and I'm only 6 foot tall. Maybe manufacturers should just make longer stalks as the mirrors are fine๐Ÿค”                                                                                                                                                                             
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

2 inch risers on the Tiger not only improve visibility but also get rid of a huge amount of wind noise                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
52% Karma52% Karma 52% Karma52% Karma

It's good to know that you've all got 2" risers... ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป                                                                                                                                                                             
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Yep. Got mine from LoveHoney ๐Ÿ˜‰                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

I'm glad to say that I don't need 2" rises

Both my Tigers mirrors (955i & 1050 Sport) I don't have a problem with                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

I'm not 100% happy with my yamaha mirrors but with it already 42" wide filltering would be a no no if it get any wider.                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

Best mirrors i have are on my '95 885 Tiger,fairing mounted ones on my '99 Trophy,after that ยฃ5.99 pattern 70's Honda ones on my 96 CB500...                                                                                                                                                                             
rev667's Profile
rev667

In: Halifax
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

https://revjim.noip.me/nextcloud/index.php/s/FE5CDz9wgQmBoo7
Dunno if the link will work, but these mirrors work, the downside is the bike is stupid wide now, already has wide bars as standard.
TridentStevy1's Profile
TridentStevy1

In: Bridgnorth
4% Karma4% Karma 4% Karma4% Karma

Anyone tried a rear view camera and a small tele on the handlebars? I suspect there'll be too much ambient light for some of the cheaper screens but it would be interesting to find out.                                                                                                                                                                             
SlowGoose's Profile
SlowGoose

In: bolton
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

When I first started riding the first thing we did was remove mirrors and indicators and brains. If it was behind you it didn't matter

Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

A few of the guys I used to rally with were of that opinion, take off your mirrors cos we're fast as f*** so what behind doesn't matter.
To avoid the embarrassment of seeing the convoy of tractors and caravans behind them more like ๐Ÿ˜
To be fair they all ran open pipes so they sounded fast ๐Ÿ™ƒ
Fink's Profile
Fink

In: West Wales
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

One of my mirrors moves and won't stay in the right place, even if you try tightening it up, it's driving my mad                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Fink just weld it lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Fink's Profile
Fink

In: West Wales
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Hmmm, ok.

Can I use your welder JP ?                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

Thread Locking Fluid by Loctite...simples...worked on Rudolph's mirrors..๐Ÿ‘                                                                                                                                                                             
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

Rob 1961 might have some superglue left ๐Ÿคฃ                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
57% Karma57% Karma 57% Karma57% Karma

It'll be the right one Fink. It's always the right mirror that comes loose cos you use it more.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 531 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption