Breakdown Insurance

14 Posts | Latest reply on 15/04/2021 22:47:16 by Rickardo | Go to original / last post
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

In: Hilton, Cambs
38% Karma38% Karma 38% Karma38% Karma

In the forlorn hope that if lockdown is slowly eased over the next few months and I actually get to ride the Strom further than the chemists, having just discovered that my roadside assistance ran out last August (congratulations AA for no reminder!) can anyone recommend a good policy.
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

Most insurance companies will offer it as an add-on when you renew your policy.
Personally, I turn them down and stick to the AA.
The AA were the only group who do breakdown regardless of age of bike. So all my bikes covered on a driver policy.......
And my car on the same policy!
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

Thanks Nick

Have just been looking at Green Flag but they charge you mileage for anything over 10 miles to a garage!!! Wouldn't want to get a puncture doing the North Coast 500! Are there any issues with AA other than not telling me my policy had run out?
Cupid Stunt's Profile
Cupid Stunt

In: Hope Valley
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

No issues I've had Strom
I keep up via their app and email and they seem to do what they say on the tin
They do give a range of options for cover which affects the price of course. Pricier than Green Flag, but GF wont cover my vintage bikes.....
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

I'm the same has Nick. I'm with the AA and pay via Direct Debit, new card always comes a month before with a letter telling me how much and when they are taking the money and covers me for home start, roadside and recovery whatever vehicle I'm on (even a car if I lower myself to that standard).
With my bikes being on different policies one does come with breakdown cover and recovery to the nearest garage within so many miles, so a waste of time if stuck 200 miles from home on a bank holiday.
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

Cheers Ragnar, I think the reason I wasn't contacted last August was due to the policy being a new bike freebie! Just concerned about what would happen with punctures having already had one recently?                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

Think you'll find your tyre will go flat,in my experience...also,as none of my bikes are newer than 1999,Green Flag 'forgot' to tell me that i was no longer covered for anything over 10 years old,car or bike..now with GEM...no age restrictions..👍                                                                                                                                                                             
Silverwing's Profile
Silverwing

In: Runcorn
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

You could try Swinton Insurance. You don't need to be insured with them. Personally, I'm with the AA and wouldn't change. They cover my business vehicle; all my bikes; my private car and my daughters all for £6.00 per week. I'm sure you'd cover your bike for a lot less.
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

Thanks for the benefit of your experience Jinx, next you'll be telling me it will only go flat at the bottom! I'll look up Gem but we've had 3 votes for AA. Cheers SW.                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

Only problem i've ever had with AA (and RAC) was that they never listened...if i rang either and told them it couldn't be fixed at roadside,they would take an hour to send a 'man with van',who would promptly admit he rarely touched bikes and couldn't fix it anyway,and i would then wait another hour for a recovery wagon to turn up...i've only ever broken down in broad daylight once...any other occaision was night time(and usually raining),hopefully it's only MY luck that runs that way...happy miles..:)>
Strom67's Profile
Strom67

Thanks Jinx.. I must admit I'm still a bit confused about this 10 mile rule for tows especially if you get a puncture 100 miles from the nearest bike tyre fitters. According to the T&C 's you have to carry your own tyre plug kit... you might as well fix it yourself!
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

(congratulations AA for no reminder!)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hi, I'm with you on that jinx. I've never taken out any sort of recovery insurance. Only needed to have a machine recovered once..and that was because I was unconscious ...think of all those premiums I haven't paid...and I dont just ride locally...each to their own I suppose. ..but the insurance industry has such a bad name for a reason.🙂
Rickardo's Profile
Rickardo

In: Poole
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

I strayed away from AA/RAC quite a few years ago mainly because the breakdown cover with Carole Nash or Bennetts included recovery and repatriation from Europe whereas AA 5* required me to think in advance of going abroad and was well over £100 per trip. So I swap between Carole Nash and Bennetts every other year, with each putting the price up at renewal time but the other offering a discount to about the same as it was. My Buell is 19 years old now.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 687 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption