A little advice please

9 Posts | Latest reply on 06/08/2020 09:59:04 by SteamBiker | Go to original / last post
markbp70's Profile
markbp70

In: Wolverhampton
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi BMers,

I’m thinking of buying a BMW in a private sale i.e. no warranty. I’ve not had the best experience with them in the past (clutches going at 9K miles, cam wheel coming off whilst riding and destroying engine). Does anyone know where I can buy a third-party insurance to cover the cost of repairs if needed?? Does anyone use them and can recommend??

Ta very much
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

At a guess unless you have had it from new with a service warenty you won't get 1                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Buy a Jap bike! 47yrs on them (Various 15+) and NEVER had one fail me! Curiosity.. what kind of BM?
IMHO.. Like their cars.. BM's have great specs and attributes.. as long as they work. However, for a premium make at premium prices, spares included, they never rate in the highest categories for reliability. Electrics, shaft drive issues etc.
My guess is, IF you found some such insurance, the premiums would outweigh punting a bet on what some failure might cost to fix yourself?
markbp70's Profile
markbp70

My last one was a K1200S. Fantastic bike but, it was always having problems..steering (ball joint on the Hossack suspension)...electrics (switch gear would turn on for no apparent reason) and all the other problems already mentioned.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Buy a Jap bike! 47yrs on them (Various 15+) and NEVER had one fail me! Curiosity.. what kind of BM?
IMHO.. Like their cars.. BM's have great specs and attributes.. as long as they work. However, for a...

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Well man.. there are just way too many choices out there in varying setups.. 1200-1400 motors that are pretty much bulletproof and tried and proven. Big Kawas and Suzukis, Hondas that are good for 100k miles with no more than routine maintenance and consumables. They just work!
póg mo thóin's Profile
póg mo thóin

In: Thanet
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Why buy a BMW if you have had issues before                                                                                                                                                                             
markbp70's Profile
markbp70

For me it's the performance and the fact that I fit the bikes (long legs you see) 😂                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

best buy from a dealer, might be a bit more expensive. but has the back-up and reassurance of dealership warranty

SteamBiker's Profile
SteamBiker

In: Glasgow
23% Karma23% Karma 23% Karma23% Karma

I have got a collection of Japanese bikes, my touring bike is a 1990 FJ1200 with 67000 on the clock, totally reliable, so why change it?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4375 seconds. There are 753 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption