Engine paint help

12 Posts | Latest reply on 23/07/2020 15:46:35 by póg mo thóin | Go to original / last post
Gallowglass's Profile
Gallowglass

In: Hertford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I have that black 'crackle surface' type paint on an HD Fat Bob engine, but there are bits where it needs repainting- the paint just falls off the metal. (I know, poor quality finish on a harley; who'd have thought it!)

I should be really grateful for any suggestions as to painting in the bits of exposed engine, what to use, how to get the least obvious join between the old and new paint- pretty much any practical advice. (My son already suggested getting rid of the bike.)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Try black engine paint off ebay, i,ve used it a few times on my bikes with no issues. Use a very small artists brush and blend it in.                                                                                                                                                                             
invalid characters's Profile
invalid characters

In: West Sussex
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I've used PJ1 in the past who do a wrinkle finish in an aerosol.
VHT wrinkle finish is also available and cheaper it seems, though some users apparently report that adhesion is better with an etch primer.
Also available in aerosol, though I don't know the max' working for that.

Time to start Googling I think.
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Some of the black finishes on Triumph engines seems a bit dodgy,only lasted 25 years on my 900 Tiger before i had to repaint some outer casings...B&Q Satin Black Barbeque Paint seems to last best...wrinkle bit might be a pain to reproduce over large areas...bound to be a Youtube video though,lol
Gallowglass's Profile
Gallowglass

Thank you so much gentlemen- that all gives me a great starting point. I always like to ask fellow bikers for personal recommendations!                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

Mikris Finishers in Stonehouse,Glos,did some fork bottoms and both yokes in exactly the same effect on a friends Ducati single,quite some years ago..if all else fails,i'll ask them for you...or check them out at www.mikris-finishers.co.uk...
Gallowglass's Profile
Gallowglass

Thanks, Jinx, I'll take a look!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

There are powder coaters who can do a crinkle finish, seen several done at car and bike shows.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Powder coat looks well when done right                                                                                                                                                                             
Gallowglass's Profile
Gallowglass

Thanks for the suggestions!                                                                                                                                                                             
Tazman57's Profile
Tazman57

In: Coundon
17% Karma17% Karma 17% Karma17% Karma

Hello                                                                                                                                                                             
póg mo thóin's Profile
póg mo thóin

In: Thanet
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Satin or gloss engine paint from eBay I used satin on my exhausts they came up well                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4531 seconds. There are 749 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption