VOTE: Logging profile views

21 Posts | Latest reply on 15/11/2017 08:37:44 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

For many years now it's been possible to either enable or disable logging of profiles that you view

If you disable it then others cannot see you viewed them, but you also cannot see yourself who you've viewed.

This is something BMers previously wanted and asked me to implement.

My understanding is that not everyone is happy with it though. So I'm opening this forum topic for you all to discuss.

Remember: Profiles are public (except for your photos and events). So even if I remove the option to disable logging, people can always just logout of the website and still search and view profiles.
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

It seems to me a pointless exercise if just by logging out of the site you achieve the same result. Might as well leave it as is and save yourself the aggro.

66                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
53% Karma53% Karma 53% Karma53% Karma

I'm not bothered for logging, if folk check ya profile n want to chat that's fine, if they don't that's fine too.

I don't have my own views logged cos tbh I often click on profiles by accident whilst scrolling through, who is 'online'.

I don't see the need, but that's my personal view. I would, however, like the option to disable it if at all possible 😀
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I didn't even know it could do that:)

But I can understand that some people may want to be a little more discrete when they're curious, particularly with the usual imbalance of the sexes.

For me, to be honest, it's nice to see who has popped in to have a look, and for me at least it's started a couple of chats both ways.
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford

Keep the logging. If you disable it, I suspect you would find a drop off in the retention of new members.

Logging profile views shows an easily visible activity on the site (to everyone, but particularly useful to new members)... Not everyone sends a nod or a message first time they take a look at your profile. Gives you a chance to look back at them... & maybe you'll be the first to break the ice.

It's not much of a social network if we're all hiding from each other by disabling logging and pretending we're not looking ;)
Lynne's Profile
Lynne

In: Mounts Bay

I was not comfortable when I found out that people could look through my profile without being logged. Mainly because I was not aware this was possible, therefore I presumed I knew who and how often people were viewing it.
I would rather people were logged all the time. Obviously there would be a few exceptions. I know you can logout and view, but if I remember rightly, Matt said it advises you to join after a few views so it would be a frustrating way to secretly view.
I think that at least if it remains, all paid up members need to be made aware of this option.
Just my view 😊
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
84% Karma84% Karma 84% Karma84% Karma

To be honest it is neither here nor there to me.

I would say unless you have been inundated with folk complaining, leave it as it is                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

It's not so much about logging or not, Wannabe, it's more about the ability to individually disable it.

I've had one complaint, but that's possibly because not everyone knows it can be individually disabled.

When you disable it though you are making the choice, and you lose the benefit of having your own history to go back to. Swings and roundabouts.

I can very, very easily disable the individual option to log views or not, so then everyone would have every log viewed (except for moderators whose views are always hidden to the person being viewed).

Just need to gauge a bit what most of you want. Either way I'm not bothered myself, sitting on the fence with this one
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Ah ok cool. Not fussed either way then :D                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Little update... I've now made it impossible (or very difficult and annoying) for anyone to view more than 10 pages on BM without logging in. This will hopefully force people to register also rather than just browsing anonymously.

Sorry for all the errors tonight, I was editing the code live and it was a little more complex than I planned
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

I think my thumbs need to lose weight... Nearly every time I try to click on a forum thread, I click on the OP's ID instead :D

Hashtag notstalkingyoumatthonest                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

Correction: last poster, not OP :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Stalk away! :-D                                                                                                                                                                             
JulianK's Profile
JulianK

In: Bulgaria
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Well done Matt good compromise.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Thanks Julian, and welcome to the site!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

People look at a profile for millions of reasons. Not every one is a Stalker. Maybe they like your smile(bonus) maybe you have a cool bike pic, maybe there in a bike gig or bash pic they like or there in.What ever you put the pic's up to be seen why should it worry you?

If its logged or not dosnt really worry me. But my original argument does stand and that is the ability to read a profile if your not logged in as a member and therefore a traceable person.
Matt's Profile
Matt

I'm completely with Bill on this. People open your profile for many reasons. No need to panic folks.

Also, it's no longer possible to browse the site without logging in. After 10 views of any page (not just profiles) you're forced to login. Try it and see
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

TBH I'm not too fussed about who sees that I've looked at them, but at the same time I do like to see who's looked at me.
I'm a bit puzzled over a related matter, though. I can see on the new site that one interesting person has looked at me, but on the old site that person is missing. Yet someone else has looked at me at the same time and appears on both the old and new versions of BikerMatch. How very peculiar!
Matt's Profile
Matt

Don't look at me!

:-D I've no idea, sorry. Totally rebuilt the queries for the new site. Filters out staff who viewed you and those without a profile enable or with their account disabled.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

@ Catkins - yay! So nice to know you're not alone in this fat-thumbed world ;)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0156 seconds. There are 1285 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption