Can any gardeners save my plant?

19 Posts | Latest reply on 17/12/2007 14:55:35 by Holmfirthgirl | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

ok so I ALWAYS kill my plants, but this time I decided to try 110% to keep it alive longer than 1 week.   After 5 days of constant watering and giving it all the light i could get.... i drowned the bloody thing!!!!   I really can't get it right with these things.   SO - i now have a plant, with dead or dying flowers and yellow leaves.  The stems have gone so thin that they've all keeled over.   How can I get it back to life?  I've pulled all the dead bits off it, but theres almost nothing left of it Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
kenn52's Profile
kenn52

In: leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

bin it go buy a plastic 1. this info comes free. Kenn                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

you could try taking it out of its current pot & replanting in some fresh (dryer) soil - or failing that - get a new one & DON'T OVER WATER IT!!! Thumbs Down Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
iggypup's Profile
iggypup

In: Wellington[near

Hi Matt,I think youve killed it with kindness.Keep plants just ticking over through the winter months-neither too wet or too dry.[it would help to know plant what it is].If the temperature varies between warm and freezing that could have done for it-best start again or see if new growth emerges in the spring.
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

is it legal ?can yu grow it in Holland?                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough

I've already broached that one tango, he can keep up to 5 of those plants legally but he doesn't smoke! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

More than one way to skin a cat DiBig smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

lol yea we can have 5 per person or per house i think.  :-)   No idea what it is.  It was a gift though so I need to get it back to life.   It looks more dead today, taken more off it but theres almost nothing left.  I put it on the radiator, in the window, dried it out, watered it.... gonna take a dump on it next to give it some nutrients lol.   So basically I'm screwed yea?  Get a new plant in the pot?  Is there no magic words I can say?  Can I sing it a song?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ha ha that might kill it off completely Matt (if your singing is anything like mine!!)  Suggest final emergency measure now - repot in fresh dry compost, prune all the dead bits off (and that sounds like you will have the root and maybe not alot else now?)  Put a little water in the dish at the base of the pot only (dont water too much and never from the top of the plant!) and leave it somewhere moderately warm and frost free and just forget about it and leave well alone until spring lol!!! Sometimes, a little healthy neglect can work wonders...........if its between taking it to the tip and giving it one last chance I always opt for the latter.  Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise when a new little green shoot appears from the debris.  Just check now and again that it isnt bone dry and rotting and see what happens.......................hope this helps!, but I do have very green fingers and have saved many ailing plants in a life or death emergency (although not tried the "five per household variety" I must admit!!! (I dont smoke either so not much appeal for me there anyway lol!!!)   Sandy                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ok its in a real pot thing, no bottom to it.  Which is why i didnt realise i was drawning it (Basically, when i turned it upside-down, loooooaaads of water poured out lol).   Also dont have compost.  :-)   Maybe I can dig some good soil up from the garden.   Can I put anything onto the soil to give it nutrients?                                                                                                                                                                             
Nutkin68's Profile
Nutkin68

In: Hull

Would be cheaper to buy compost Matt Smile   Anyway I nearly drowned a pond plant this summer.......Embarrassed How can you drown a pond plant I hear you say?  I'd put it too deep in the water........Ermm                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Buy some decent compost greedyLOL,that will have all the nutrients it needs and no,garden soil won't do.Pierce some drainage holes in bottom of pot and put a good inch of gravel/grit in the bottom.If it was a gift try finding out what kind of plant it is.Some plants,aimed at the gift market,are not actually houseplants at all and will die when they've finished flowering.Good luck BuddyThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

P.S if all else fails bung it in your garden,you never know!                                                                                                                                                                              
skins's Profile
skins

In: Sutton in Ashfie

Why mess around with plants matt when you have a PS3... lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ok its done for, lol, i had i feeling there was no way to save it.  Now its completely dead, almost nothing left its all shrivelled to pieces and dried up.  Im gonna empty it and get a new one in the pot.   Yea skins i know i know, but i finish every game i play in a day or 2.  These games are toooo easy.  Just finished assassins creed, which was more challenging and very good fun                                                                                                                                                                             
tangoman60's Profile
tangoman60

In: Weymouth

murderer!!the pro plant life peeps will be slingin paint over your bike!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington

R.I.P. Matt's plant Cry.  My Yukka sends it's condolences.
Matt's Profile
Matt

lol yea i know.   Can anyone recommend an invincible plant that isn't plastic and isn't a cactus?                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

well any plant is invincible so long as you don't drown it!!!  even starving it of water & it'll recover! (to a point!!) LOL                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6406 seconds. There are 822 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption