suspension setup

25 Posts | Latest reply on 28/07/2017 18:50:21 by dennyboo | Go to original / last post
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

In: Huddersfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

had my suspension set up for me today  its soo much better  anyone want theres doing its only thirty quid  call hin john and lives in leeds nice fella knows what hes doing message me for details if you want them                                                                                                                                                                              
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
58% Karma58% Karma 58% Karma58% Karma

Getting a good setting is great, and so few people do it. Now make a note of the current settings before you loose them.
I'm terrible for tinkering with suspension (solo, pillion, luggage, comfort, scratching and back again) and I inevitably end up miles from that sweet spot.
It got to the stage once when I was about blow a fortune on a ohlins shock, fortunately a wiser head reminded me I was useless and should put everything back standard first LOL
That sorted it Thumbs Up

dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

Ha ha I know what you mean I had investigated how to set suspension up big time and did it as per instruction but I can tell you it needs three people to do it right or two and a fancy stand for front wheel  we had two people lol
but we tried and did as per instruction .
It was better on the road but hell it was hard rattled me nuts on every bump . where we went wrong was not one of the instructions I looked at told you to back everything off first so cocked up big time lol                                                                                                                                                                             
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

The fella that did mine did it from his experience I showed him the factory settings after he had done and he shook his head and said that's miles away from my settings lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

When I bought a tiger 1050 a fews back thr previous owner had maxed everything. Either he weighed about 30 stone and only went in a straight line or he was a bloody idiot lol.
I soon got the static sag right for me, that's the easy bit, but it took a while to get the damping sorted to my tastes.
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

That's why I took it to him you can mess about forever when you've half a clue lol .
He just did it so easily cos he knew what he was doing makes a massive difference he told me what my suspension was trying to do as I had set it was scarey lol                                                                                                                                                                              
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale

Same with me the Sumo Wrestler who had my bike had the rear shock as high as it could go, so much that I was on my tippy toes when I first got it and the front end was wallowing. Sat there one night put everything back to factory then tweaked it ever so slightly.
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

wowzer feisty Iam impressed didn't think girly sorts did stuff like that  well done                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

LOL - I'd keep your crash helmet on for a little after saying that Denny LOL

dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

Ha ha your prob right there Panuno but it was meant as a compliment honest lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cable tie and a tape measure and a pen and paper, no need to pay someone 30 quid you can do that part yourself. Compression damping and rebound come later, your tyres will tell you more about your suspension settings. Smile

Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

I ended up using some timber canes. One end secured with hairy string and sticky tape to the axle point and held agaist the fork leg. This allowed me to mark fully extended on the main stand and how much static sag my fat arse caused when sitting on the bike. The manual give the total possible travel so from there it's just doing the sums.
Similar approach for the rear.
Damping is a case of one click at a time and riding up and down the same few miles of road.
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

that's easy its the high and low speed damping that does my head in can pee about with it for ever 
Why waste days fannying about when he does it in an hour its a no brainer                                                                                                                                                                             
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

God this guys good Had a slight prob with understeer rang him told him how and when it happened He looked at my settings on his chart and told me what to do and it worked perfect                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Wasn't that good first time then.                                                                                                                                                                             
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

Fine tuning Yarg fine tuning                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

What you'll find out is, there is no perfect setup, it's all a compromise. Because no two bits of road are the same, so settings that work for one stretch of road will be different from settings that work on a bit of road further up. Ergo, compromise. It's all about the happy medium, and intended use. Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Spot on Cornholio, The variation in road surfaces in this country makes it impossible to find a perfect setting, find a happy medium and don't think about it too much, a good rider can make the best of any setting.Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
dennyboo's Profile
dennyboo

omg we all know that but believe me it makes a massive difference to get that perfect all round setting and mines absolutely miles away from standard settings and its so much better cos the bloke knows what hes doing, he should do been doing it forty years and this is all he does for a living , for every sort of road bike and track bikes.
Wish I had gone there months ago before summer started.
You tell him what you want and he sets it up any probs you  ring him and he tells you how to sort it. he lives and breathes suspension                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Is his name Zebedee?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8750 seconds. There are 908 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption