NEW FEATURE: IPv6 now supported!

14 Posts | Latest reply on 05/08/2017 23:41:41 by jinx57 | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Ok, all the non-geeks look away now.

For the geeks... I've installed/setup/enabled IPv6 for BikerMatch!  Old and new websites.

Had to change a lot of the database and code also to allow longer IP address lengths but it seems to be running all ok.

DNS servers changed and updated also.

Config has been tested and validated.

So, for whenever IPv4 gets turned off - we're ready!                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Errrr.  Non geek looking away ?

Matt's Profile
Matt

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption&tab=ipv6-adoption

UK is around 20% ready.

IP addresses as we know it are running out. Actually they've already run out.  That's IPv4 (released in the 80s)

IPv6 is rolling out now fast, but we're a long way to go before IPv4 can be turned off.

Globally around 15%. The UK is a little higher than average.

BM is ready to go!  ExclamationParty

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Amaze your friends with your knowledge of the inner working of the internet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

Wills even I'm struggling with this stuff. Been studying it all week and my mind is blown. Massive changes compared with IPv4 and a lot of frustration.  I don't think I've been to bed before 3am all week!                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
27% Karma27% Karma 27% Karma27% Karma

Why are my eyes glazing over.........?He'll be wanting 64 bit capability next...LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
nickscafe's Profile
nickscafe

In: Milton Keynes
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

It's 64bit by default... Thumbs Up

jinx57's Profile
jinx57

Irony is lost on some...Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

Next you'll be telling me i won't be able to buy valves for this computer any moreBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
feistygirl's Profile
feistygirl

In: Rochdale
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

i'm stunned that i actually know what you are talking about... lol LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I havnt got a clue, mines still powered by coal.Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
ratkinsonuk's Profile
ratkinsonuk

In: Colchester
6% Karma6% Karma 6% Karma6% Karma

Behind every website name you visit there is a unique number, or Internet Protocol address. The Internet currently works on version 4 (IPv4) of this numbering system, and allows for about 4 billion unique numbers (256*256*256*256).

Although in reality, only half of these are actually used up because of the way they're allocated to different companies, it's still staggering that there are that many electronic devices out there capable of all talking to each other.

To allow for more device to be added, version 6 was created, which allows for an almost unlimited amount of devices (16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16 * 16*16*16*16). Of course, there probably aren't enough numbers to give one to each of the stars in the universe!

Hope that demystified it a little Wink

Imola72's Profile
Imola72

In: Rainhill near Li
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Which is why ISP's have been assigning dynamic IP addresses for some years now.

jinx57's Profile
jinx57

I'm convinced you all need to get out more..XXSmile                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5156 seconds. There are 795 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption