NEW FEATURE: Redesigned profile display

31 Posts | Latest reply on 12/09/2016 18:58:28 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

In the ever-changing world of the web and given that every day a higher percent of visitors to BM are using their smartphone, it's important that BM keeps updated.

That's why I started redesigning some fundamental basics of the site earlier this year (such as the database, etc).

The next step in making the site "mobile friendly" is updating the "Profile display" page so that mobile users can easily view photos, swiping left/right, and also edit their profile easier.

So as  of 5 minutes ago, if you try to view anyone's profile you will see a completely new style of page.  To view your own (or EDIT your profile - all from the same page) go here:
https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/myaccount/showpro...rofile.asp

I know this will take some getting used to and some of you will just refuse to accept the change.  It's a problem I have with every necessary update / change I make.  But please give it some time and tell me in a week or two what you think.   Maybe features you'd like to see added/removed/simplified etc.

Most important features:

Now an "All-in-one" page.  So whether you're viewing your own profile, someone else's, editing your profile, viewing/adding photos, events, forum posts etc.... it's all on ONE page.   This massively reduces the server work but also your internet bandwidth used (important if you're paying per MB on your phone).Security - a lot of bugs in the old pages have been removed. Simple hacks that anyone could abuse with a bit of know-how to put unwanted things on their profile is now a thing of the pastPerformance - the new page is rapid once loaded, because it loads everything on one page.  This makes switching between tab, edit mode, photos etc instant.Mobile friendly - viewing on a smartphone, PC, laptop, Playstation etc should now all be much better than before.  This is something Google has recently been punishing us for - not being mobile-friendly enough.  This drives away huge numbers of members from BM and is an important step forward for us.
So - first thoughts?  Do you use PC/Phone to view BM?  Do you find any errors/bugs/crashing?

Please, if you find any bugs - tell me immediately!  Also tell me who's profile you was viewing when you got the error

Thanks!

VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Looks fine on my PC.                                                                                                                                                                             
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

love it matt  thank you x                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

In: London
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

Like it Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
21% Karma21% Karma 21% Karma21% Karma

I like it.                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Ooh I like it :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Wow really?  I'm surprised.  Honestly expected loads of resilience and threats to boycott BM if it wasn't returned back to it's old outdated state :-D

I am though expecting errors and bugs, but it's hard to find them.  Maybe you see someone's profile doesn't load fully for example. If so - please, please let me know asap while all the code is fresh in my mind (can easily fix it).

Thaaaaanks

PS: you'll like part 2 even more this week - I've fixed the search page annoyances.                                                                                                                                                                             
Double six's Profile
Double six

In: South Kirkby
21% Karma21% Karma 21% Karma21% Karma

Wanna bet on that?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Looks good to me....Smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Looks good. But picks won't enlarge in iPad/iPhone.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

double click to enlarge photos.

I'm trying to think of a better solution. Only problem is that single-click makes the drag/swipe function fail which screws it up for mobile users.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I am double tapping and it won't enlarge. Using iPhone 5 and I pad mini. Both on latest updates.

Don't have a computer so yet again the apple products won't work with the pics.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

fancy donating one two me for testing?  :-D

I'll ask some friends to lend me some Crapple things                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yea Apple can be, well fussy with what it does.

But it's what I have and tbh there the only piece of kit I own that stays alive for more than a year or so. Everything else just stops working....may be its my biker life style.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

First impressions when my profile loaded was WTH has happened here? Can't say I like the changes but it was the previous format for 10 years and I dislike change. I expect I'll get used to it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Great layout but it's too open .
I can view anyones profile , photos , events etc offline  Shocked
Is this a wee blip that has been overlooked or is it permanent ?

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Being able to view people's complete profile when not even been a member has been a bone of contention for a long time. Nice point raised Crimmy.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

Crimmy, you're right.  It was an oversight and will be fixed.

Previously all basic profile info was available to non-members, but you had to sign in to see more than the basic main profile pic.

I did cock up with the new system though and will get it fixed within 5 minutes (so that profiles can be viewed but not photos)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Fixed.  Also removed events calendar for people who aren't logged in                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
14% Karma14% Karma 14% Karma14% Karma

That's cool Matt as that was my thoughts on it.

On profiles maybe add some color as looks bit bare or basic (everything in white).

Also (I appreciate I'm staff) I think be good to have staff profiles with some marker so that new members know who to Pm/speak with if need help.  That is to say if they are reading a forum thread and would be able to see who is staff for assistance easier.  Also means if a staff member posts something specific it marks them out as working in BM's overall interests.  Hope that makes sense

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 842 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption