Issues with bike

21 Posts | Latest reply on 02/01/2015 21:51:04 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Right for the second time in three weeks, battery has gone flat (and I mean pancake flat) over night.   Checked this morning and couldn't see anything obvious (something staying switched on even if the keys weren't in).  She had the journies to and from work both Tues and Wed, so I'm a bit flumoxed.   I've got her on the optimiser, but have a sneaky suspicion I may need a new battery?    Any thoughts, suggestions (polite and clean) and ideas.   Ta                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

How old is the battery?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Going to second MrMike on the battery question.

There are other things that it can be. If it needs a health check give me a prod                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

She is 2008 model and I have had her two years, orig battery as I understood it. She was fine this evening after a day on the optimiser. Only thing I have extra is the alarm. I have given her a quick once over and cant see anything like wires etc. Will have a better look at weekend.

Looks like new battery (sigh). Thanks guys and to everyone who pm'd
SlowGoose's Profile
SlowGoose

In: bolton

Could be the alarm but probably not as you use Roxy daily, I have had issues with alarm draining battery but I am a gurly fair-weather sort.                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Did think about that but yeah I am out on her all year round so I think defo go for new battery, especially as I will be putting heated grips on

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Check this out RB Wink http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=12443                                                                                                                                                                                  
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
72% Karma72% Karma 72% Karma72% Karma

TBH if the battery's four years old then it'll be getting towards the end of its life. Might possibly be your charging circuit has gone belly up, in which case a quick check with a voltmeter across the terminals when the engine is running should show it up (should be about 14.5 volts) but frankly I doubt it.
A proper battery shop - Google one, or try your local Yellow Pages - will be able to check it out, but I'll bet my last penny it's simply a case of it giving up the ghost.

rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Thank you Emzed (glad to see you back honey and big hugs)

Thank you Wills.  

Gonna just go for a new battery.

Thank you to everyone for their responses, that's why I love it here.

Hug

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

99% certain it's just needing a new battery. They very slowly lose their ability to hold a charge, and as most are sealed these days you can't do anything except fit a new one.                                                                                                                                                                              
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Thanks MrMike. Gonna have to wait for a couple of weeks now, but I will pop her on the optimiser weekly, hopefully that will work in the interim                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I don't use an optimate and have never had a problem with batteries, My Harley only gets used every other weekend and even with the alarm system it never fails to start first time. I've had the bike seven years and still on the same battery. 
I know a lot of people who use optimates and have had issues with their batteries...                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Hi Bluey

First time I've used the optimiser was three weeks ago after the first flat battery incident happened and then last week.

I ride five days out of seven ( more if ride out) all year round so haven't had a need to use it before now.

Don't mind if I need to change battery, rather do it now than in winter

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Tbh im with you Bluey, also have never used an optimate.

I have had battery problems but only after a summer season when the battery has been baked dry in london or after i have droped the bike.                                                                                                                                                                             
lunty74's Profile
lunty74

In: LIVERPOOL

you defo need a new battery your supposed to change them every 2 years ( all electrical goods normally last for 1000 charges ) approx. 2 yrs lol Kawasaki pull a lot of amps at start up hope it helps :)                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Hi Lunty.   battery was changed and we found out it was the generator that was stuffed.  Stuie fixed my bike so all sorted now :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
ninjaflump's Profile
ninjaflump

In: dublin mancheste

Clearwaterlights.com their voltage sensor might be worth the money                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

No fancey gagets needed, just a few mins with a £5 maplins multimeter and a brain. Was just a geny with a damaged field wire winding.....                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

Stuie......you're my favourite......now which part was the Woodstock?                                                                                                                                                                             
Lindsay's Profile
Lindsay

In: Leeds
53% Karma53% Karma 53% Karma53% Karma

Pmsl @RB, Woodstock .... !!!                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9219 seconds. There are 688 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption