On which bike did you pass your test?

54 Posts | Latest reply on 04/10/2014 22:32:00 by hightower | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Vlad, am I right in thinking that you couldn't have taken the test on the SS 50 (a moped), and that's why you borrowed the Kawa? A previous post on this thread has puzzled me.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Yes you can take a test on a FS1E but it just gives you a limited range I really don't see the issue that someone has taken a test on that bike

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Not an issue, jp; just a query.Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

If a 50 does more than 35 mph then its a motorcycle. Ss50's and fizzies were famous for not being restricted.                                                                                                                                                                             
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

true stuie some were very fast snigger 
but not  for passing your test  
when did the take a test come in ???

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

so true stuie and baffels made a superb difference lol. I kind of stuck with the yam stuff for a while moving to the rd the lc and so on until my dad gave me his old 400/4  then I moved up yet again to the kwak z1000 which ended up triked by chopper club for me but my first bike riding was done from quite young on a bultaco on hillsides etc  always liked boys toys never wanted dolls lol
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

I think compulsory driving tests came in 1935. Before that it was voluntaryWacko  

And KNOW I wasn't born then Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

really embarrassing, passed my test on an mz etz125.                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

I started riding bikes in 1962/3 Rode my mates 500 Matchless. It wasn't strictly legal, although at that time you could ride any size bike on a provisional licence. That included side cars and three wheelers (as in Reliant and Bond).

I ended up buying a Honda 50 step through for commuting from Kent to London each day. That was hard work. I then went to a 250cc Royal Enfield continental GT. I loved that bike. Took my test on it and failed on a couple of stupid things. I never bothered to do a test again until about 4 years ago, although i had been riding bikes for most of that time. Unfortunately it was down to 125 in the UK, but when I was abroad, I would hire the biggest bike I could get my hands on. That was before licences were standardised in Europe. Up until then in Greece for instance, the uk licence didn't mean a thing to them and rarely did they ask to see it.
I decided to prove that you are never too old to pass a test. I eventually passed the test in 2010 ish. I kicked myself for years for not taking it sooner, but now I just look forward. Actually the training made me realise that I had picked up some bad habits with my car and van driving. So it was useful going through the procedure. On wards and upwards as they say.

Stay safe Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Whatsisname?'s Profile
Whatsisname?

In: Dorchester

250 Ariel Leader. Nice Bike for it's time. But! Ok you got me. I caused the Hole in the Ozone layer. Sorry about that folks.                                                                                                                                                                             
izzyhill's Profile
izzyhill

In: Hamilton
28% Karma28% Karma 28% Karma28% Karma

I think that just posting “Suzuki 250” or “Honda 125” and leaving at that is a little, well,lacking in detail. So perhaps you could inform us of why you chose that particular model, or how reliable it was, or the year you passed, or how much trade-in you received for your “L”-plater when you part-exchanged it for a Van Veen Wankel… little items which may be of interest to the readership of this site.
Marks will be deducted for inacurate speeling.Tongue
CBF125 at end of May two years ago so I've just got its big sister, my CBF600, de-restricted this year.I still have the 125 in my garage if anyone's in the market? Wink Cracking wee bike.

I chose the CBF on advice from the friend I'd started pillion riding with. When I passed my CBT I wasn't interested in DAS and only getting out when I'd paid for a lesson, I wanted to be out straight away and learning to survive out there. Unfortunately my pal dragged his heels over finding the time to go with me to look at possible purchases from the trade listings so when I found one listed as "100 miles away" I knew I'd have an adventurous first ride home. When I called and spoke to the seller I realised I'd also have a flight and a ferry crossing Shocked - it was in Antrim, Northern Ireland. That was my first solo ride, and I've not looked back (apart from lifesavers - obviously!!).

Whatsisname?'s Profile
Whatsisname?

In: Dorchester

I chose the Leader because it was cheap,and it came along at the right time £25, bearing in mind I had just bought a racing push bike for £40. It saw me through the test in Feb 1963.But it was, shall we say slightly smokey,hence my ref to the Ozone layer:) Other than that it cornered like it was on a rail. Despite the old type Bakelite Tyres. But I just couldn't stand the exhaust.It was not the wrong mix I was using it was just worn out.Traded it in against a BSA A7 for £35. Sorry about the Ozone layer everyone. My fault. :)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

izzyhill, I kept it short and sweet because I type with one finger and still have to look at the keyboard, it probably takes as much time to type this as it does you to write big ones. I would use the chat rooms but have changed conversation by the time I finish a sentence....Sorry
Ermm

izzyhill's Profile
izzyhill

Embarrassed TBH cj, I hadn't read all the replies and wasn't having a pop about brevity - all in favour of short 'n sweet! - but seen a few threads go off-subject and thought Valencia had posted an interesting topic worth reiterating.
Pop in chat at quiet times during the day if you can, there's often a few peeps around, more over lunch time. Use a keyboard instead of a phone if at all possible too and you'll soon pick up on keeping up with it.

Err, did I just hijack the thread? Sorry, back to first bikes ........                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Marks will be deducted for inacurate speeling.Tongue

I will be in the - marks then thanks izzy

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I chose the bike I did cos it was the only one I had access to at the time and funny enough the place I actually took my test was miles away from where I lived and now I actually live right on the test path that used to be as its been built upon now, I remember my tester wearing a brown suit and then kind of making a false move as if he was gonna step in front of me but was then wearing a yellow cagool thingy and I swore lots that was our emergency stop part of the test im assuming lol many years ago , we didn't have to ride round cones and stuff like todays tests id never pass one of todays tests and that shameful I guess
izzyhill's Profile
izzyhill

Valencia's thread and rules JP, but we all know rules are made to be broken.

Back on test subject, my examiner was being check-tested so was in a car and got left behind me once and separated later by a van - which meant he couldn't see me fluff a gear change in the town centre. Yay.
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

bump for the new ones                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I passed on my Honda MTX 125cc. As I recall, it rained for the duration of the test and I had no waterproofs and as soon as I got back to the test centre the rain stopped!. I still passed though :) that was 20yrs ago :o

Murdoch3352's Profile
Murdoch3352

In: Black Country
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

BSA Starfire 250, failed first test due to incorrect regulation of speed at junctions ?, passed a few weeks later and upgraded to Yamaha XS750.1st bike, BSA Starfire

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 579 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption