My first words

16 Posts | Latest reply on 23/09/2007 15:05:07 by Daytona_man | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

...I just had my first conversation in Dutch on the phone with my mobile phone operator person (no not the speaking clock).   I'm well chuffed.  Just had my 3rd lesson as well, its excellent learning another language and it's so easy when you're surrounded by it.   What percentage of folks here speak more than just their mother-tongue then?  They say the english and americans don't bother, but how true is it?                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

In: Darlington
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Lo non conosco alcune lingue straniere, Matt realmente.                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

Aren't web translation sites brill? lol   Just about manage English ha ha   LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
countess's Profile
countess

In: wallsend

yeah - way to go Matt.  Ive started an Italian class this week.  For no other reason that I thought it was about time I could speak another language! I travel quite a bit and always try to learn at least hello, thank you, goodbye and beer please where ever I go.  As a whole I think we're quite lazy when it comes to other languages!
Matt's Profile
Matt

Here's it in Dutch for you... Hoi (thats Hi tho, hello is the same) Dank-u-wel Tot-ziens Mag ik een pilsje alsteblieft                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

yea Matt but which beer are you asking for? lol     I SPEAK a very small amount of Spanish. Non-speaking language  (BSL) British Sign Language, albeit a bit rusty, nay a LOT rusty now, as I don't get situations where I need to use either.                                                                                                                                                                             
Blueboy955i's Profile
Blueboy955i

Were you ringing for a pizza there Matt?  lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

pilsje or biertje are both "little beer" translated literally.   All drinks come in half pints here unless ur in an irish bar.  Its like water too, unless u get Trappist which is sweet thick belgian beer - well nice, but pricey.   Biertje is for the north, like Amsterdam - where nobody speaks Dutch anyhow, there's more brits there than DutchPilsje is for down-sound, belgium/germany way where I live.                                                                                                                                                                             
countess's Profile
countess

In: wallsend

Cheers Matt, will add that to my repertoire, pivo, bira, cerveza, cerveja, birra, øl, bier, piwo, bière, bier, piva!                                                                                                                                                                              
rattler's Profile
rattler

In: Liverpool

Ooh Ja, Ich licke der grossen bier ist smackt gut. Ist zer gut unt super.....Tongue.   I agree with you Matt Trappist is a very good type of wobbly water.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

Did French at school, with the result that I can often freeze in France cos I know the mistakes I'm making. German's another matter. Just got a tiny smattering, make it up as I go along and when the Germans have finished falling about laughing they seem to understand what I've said. Goodness only knows why. Trouble is, a lot of it was picked up as a kid from war comics. In modern Germany 'hande hoch Englander Schweinhund' isn't the best way of starting a conversation.LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Speedy Claire's Profile
Speedy Claire

I speak English and I`m also fluent in Scouse Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
rattler's Profile
rattler

Dey do dont speak like us tho, do dey tho la, they'll ave to lern to tork propar. LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Oh god theres more of them! lol                                                                                                                                                                             
rattler's Profile
rattler

R A Matt.. lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Daytona_man's Profile
Daytona_man

In: Bedford
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

I speak basic French and German, enough to order what I need and find my way around. My family are mostly Maltese, so I speak a fair bit of that, but not enough to hold a proper conversation. Most Maltese people speak fluent English and love to practise it, so there really wasn't a need for me to learn their language.

When I was a kid we lived in Singapore, and while we were there we all picked up[ some very basic Chinese (can't remember what dialect) and we were able to buy stuff in Malay in the kampong shops.

I suppose it helps that my parents speak 9 different languages fluently, makes picking up new languages very easy.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7344 seconds. There are 1764 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption