honda cbr600f.... any good?

23 Posts | Latest reply on 06/02/2014 22:24:48 by stutts | Go to original / last post
xj's Profile
xj

In: London
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

my son has just passed his test and bought himself a cbr600f.
anyone got one,had one, got an opinion?
i took it out yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it but would like to know what to keep an eye on, any weak points etc as i will be the one servicing it while he learns how. cheers.
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Well done on him passing . Not had 1 but there very popular bike so cant be that bad. As for your son learning to service it I thought that got my son his 1st bike at 17 he is now 24 and I still end up doing it he does try but you hear this voice from the shed saying O carp dad where does this bit go or why don't this fit.
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

It's a HONDA  xj  Thumbs Up   Nuff said  Wink   Just regular oil changes (3000 mls) and routine maintenance  Approve   Enjoy Smile                                                                                                                                                                               
xj's Profile
xj

i have visions of it being a lifelong thing. or at least till i go senile and "forget" everything.                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

All the hodnas i've had have been pretty bulletproof emzed, nearly as good as the xj.                                                                                                                                                                              
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

see my profile photo pics...........     was my 1st bike, loved it.    Only thing went wrong was regulator, clutch cable broke, and i had a chain and sprocket replacement.   Forgave me all my stupid mistakes without mishap just after i passed my test.   Although i love the VFR, i do miss it. Sold it to a guy in Bedfordshire, he loved it too.                                                                                                                                                                             
rowanblossom's Profile
rowanblossom

In: Manchester
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

I love my Honda although its a CBF 500....solid bikes they are.                                                                                                                                                                                
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

As Andy has mentioned it Ermm   Depending on the age/mileage/previous owner's Wink   You may need to keep an eye on the charging system * Thumbs Up   A reg/rectifier can be obtained via fleabay for anything from £10* Wink   But that's about all apart from consumables Thumbs Up   * Bad earth connections are the worst culprits for destroying electrical components Disapprove    * I've seen OEM reg/rectifiers @ £50+ Shocked                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I was going to a right-up with a bit of length but Emzed said all       its a good bike just keep the battery in good condition    and don't put silly bulbs in it    every think else is just servicing                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

upgrade the reg/rectifrier.. ;) with one from Electrex an it'll be sorted Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

simply awsum bikes xj..licence destroyers if you let them off the leash..
As al have said..its a Honda! So change the oil and filter as often as you can,change the plugs when U think its gtn harder to start or missfiring and check the valve clearances occasionally (7.48 dia replaceable  shims I think). Charging issues due to poor conns or reg failure are not uncommon on older bikes or ones that see all weathers.
I serviced a few over the years...                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
58% Karma58% Karma 58% Karma58% Karma

Let's do this the other way round.
Has anyone, anywhere ever had a bad 'un?
Thought not...                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

@ steve_H,                        Now that you’ve put it this way; then yes" I did break                       my thumb-nail  one’s putting a set of sparkplug in                                                                   Thumbs Up                                                             look that one                                                                                                                                                                                  
VFR800AJ's Profile
VFR800AJ

In: Sutton Coldfield
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Yes when I asked around for a 1st bike, almost everyone said CBR600................so I did !"!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

thanx for the replies guys, appreciated.. especialy the bit about silly bulbs, that was going tbru my head.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Almost as bullet proof as an old vfr750.

Good fave for London couriers which should tell you it can handle abuse. And they crash well ;-). By that I mean they ride again with tearing them selves to bits after you lob it down the road.

Should see a few hundred thousand miles with out any issues
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

On the subject of "bulbs" Wink   Although the HID kits are generally considered to "overload" the charging systems on some small & medium capacity bikes Disapprove   The bulbs I'm listing here are exactly the same "loading" as OEM  (60/55W)  Thumbs Up   I have them fitted in my 400 CBR & I can highly recommend them Approve   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-H4-OSRAM-NIGHTBREAKER-PLU...48547eb853   They may be available elsewhere at higher or lower cost but they are a worthwhile "upgrade" to the stock halogen Big smile   They may need an "adapter" to fit Mr Honda's lamps, (also available on fleabay), or you could just snip off  the tabs* which are spaced differently, as it's highly unlikely that the bulb would move once installed correctly Geek   * I've done this on my Ducati with no problems, using a bulb I got from Netto Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                               
stutts's Profile
stutts

In: hampshire

xj I could really help you out here ,,,,,,,,,,,but I cant be bothered as you didn't get your passport for france                                                                                                                                                                             
Ragnar's Profile
Ragnar

68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

That's not fair Stutts, you know XJ gets seasick on the Woolwich Ferry, so coming to France with us to have fun wasn't going to happen.                                                                                                                                                                             
stutts's Profile
stutts

In: hampshire

ahh bless his little cotton socks                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9529 seconds. There are 579 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption