Virago 535 1991

11 Posts | Latest reply on 05/02/2014 02:47:34 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
doogle9's Profile
doogle9

In: Louth
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Just bought a Virago 535 trike, needs TLC. It wouldn't start charged battery, when trying to start was cranking it over and sometimes it would CLUNK and stop, did that a few times but now it just spins, not engaging. Have taken cover off, the drive cogs appear to be ok, stator has filings all over it. How can I clean stator and what with?

I am thinking that perhaps I need a starter clutch repair kit? Have just ordered a new regulator.

Anybody any experience with this please?

Doug.                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

Take the starter motor and clutch apart first, those bits of metal came from somewhere. It may be a whole unit you need ( ebay) but don't buy anything until you have stripped and found what is wrong. You will also need to check if the filings can get into the crankcase, if it is at all possible it is a whole engine dismantle and clean. Metal filings will scrap an engine in minutes.
doogle9's Profile
doogle9

Thanks for that. I have a good mate local, rebuilt his Kawasaki 900 but he hasn't had the opportunity to call round and see the pile of shit I just bought!!

xj's Profile
xj

In: London

Not necessarily a pile of shit. If you have a garage it could be a winter project which will be a great source of pride next summer, an excuse to learn what makes a bike come to life, an adventure into the world of motorcycle mechanics (fascinating subject) or just an engine that needs a damn good clean and bringing up to original spec. Whatever, do the work and have something personal at the end of it and not just another bike.
doogle9's Profile
doogle9

Hi,

Yeh, was half joking re pile of shit! Unfortunately don't have a garage anymore but have been enjoying tidying it up - wire wool and vinegar is great for getting rust off the chrome! Parts on order and a mate is going to loan me a puller to get the rotor off. He also advised petrol to rinse off the filings from the stator, seems right to me.

Doug.                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Did you find out where the metal filings came from ?   Check the main bearings on both ends of the crank Approve    There may be signs of the alternator rotor & stator making contact Disapprove   Those metal particles have come from somwhere in that casing Ermm   Fitting replacements wouldn't cure the problem Thumbs Down   Hope it's not that bad Embarrassed   Let us know how it turns out Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                
nellie's Profile
nellie

In: nottingham
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

The virago 535 has a history of destroying starter clutches I would make that a first point of interest.....                                                                                                                                                                             
doogle9's Profile
doogle9

Thanks nellie,

Mate of mine who rebuilt his Kawasaki 900 called in yesterday, had a look, what I thought were filings turned out to be bits of old gasket crud, I think! Cogs look to be ok......hoping that the clutch repair kit will do the job. We checked out haynes manual together and agreed that was the problem.....fingers crossed!                                                                                                                                                                             
1200neil's Profile
1200neil

In: bolton
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

not sure how you get bits of gasket & metal filings confused ??!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Any update on this Question   Just for the benefit of anyone else with a similar issue Ermm   It would be nice to know how this problem turned out Approve                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I know this is a bit old but only just see it   I have the one before the  XV750SE and I have worked on them in my days of a mechanic There’s a tension spring that fits around the dog gear and the top end fits into the casing   the idea is the tension of this foresees the dog gear into the gear behind the clutch I must say at this point the noise when you press the starter button is horrible it sound like the thing wants to jump out of the casing that is normal Now a battery that isn’t in good condition it won’t engage properly   Getting back to the tension spring if you take it off the gear and squeeze the loop end in the vice just a little bit DON’T GO MAD you can break it,  It is spring steel It will put more tension on the gear when fitted   And that should solve your problem                                                                                                                                                                                  

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4531 seconds. There are 577 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption