Battery time of year again

10 Posts | Latest reply on 30/12/2013 16:43:50 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

A text from a friend reminded me of something I've been meaning to do Embarrassed  Here is a re-post of a topic I raised last year  Ermm       This is the time of year when we are much more likely to hear the dreaded "groan" from the starter or hollow "click" at the solenoid Disapprove (unless you are lucky enough to have a kickstart Wink)   The following product I CAN personally recommend to releive those symptoms Smile   I have used one now for two winters and where I live we get several degrees of frost regularly, even in summer months Unhappy   These batteries,even when poorly attended to, will crank even the most reluctant engine into life, if there any suggestion of life in it Approve   They recover from deep discharge much faster too Thumbs Up   GEL type batteries are not only an investment towards peace of mind, they can also be installed in a variety of positions without fear of acid spillage and are maintenance free Big smile   Treat your bike to a Christmas present she/he will thank you for,   for years to come Heart     http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150948985312?ssPageName=STRK:...3019wt_721   This is just a link to an example of the type Wink   You may find one cheaper elsewhere Ermm   I'm not promoting this particular supplier, just the type of battery Geek   Oh, and they are "Quadflex" which means they can be fitted either way round Wink   And they usually come with a selection of re-sizing extensions to suit "most" battery compartments Thumbs Up   But the majority are an exact OEM replacement size Approve     Here's a link to the original topic Smile   http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=11213                                                                                                                                                                                 
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

good advice, well done for re posting it.Clap

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

my battery just (3rd Nov, £44)  been replaced after a little over 3 years service which is about all we can expect from a lead acid liquid one, though many do last longer.

wish I had spotted this earlier......good call Emzed Thumbs Up

simple1's Profile
simple1

In: ipswich
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

nice to have the information and I now know where to look when my current good battery starts to get iffy

thanks for the post                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Thanks guys Smile   Nice to know my post wasn't in vain Approve   A real shame Android934 Unhappy   What a difference a day makes Wacko                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'm thinking back to how it was given me....(Halfrauds) and my new battery has no breather and took 20 minutes to fill from the acid bottles so maybe I have got one of those glass mat  thingys. 

I am sure its not possible/permitted to send a charged battery through the post as the ebay one would be.

Emzed's Profile
Emzed

It sounds to me like what you have is a "sealed lead acid" type, Android Ermm   Most new batteries are what is known as "dry charged",  because they do generate a residual charge, just from the electrolytic action of adding the electrolyte Geek   But it is almost always recommended to give them a full 24 hrs trickle charge before use Approve   My batteries were delivered by courier Thumbs Up   I have had traditional lead acid batteries arrive by "post" but they came with the electrolyte in a separate bottle Smile   They needed a full charge too, although when filled they did have enough charge to to blow the horn & turn the engine over Wink                                                                                                                                                                                    
Jaffa's Profile
Jaffa

In: st helens

battery playing up on Honda optimate 4 says its ok AA say itys knackered have ordered motobatt gel battery bike ok to start at moment but still iffytook your advice EMZ and now waiting for new one                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Nice one Jaffa Thumbs Up   It's the way to go mate Approve                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I have just bought a Odyssey battery for my 2007 BMW RT1200 having had a Exide wet acid battery that the bike came with. The new Odyssey battery turns the old twin over far quicker than the wet acid types around. I used to get 9-10 years out of a proper German Varta 30Ah wet battery charging it up once a fortnight with a lab power supply. Then ended up with a Made in China battery from Motobins in Spalding for my old K100RS. Next day the battery was dead and checked the specific gravity of all 6 cells. One cell was completely dead. Went back and exchanged the damaged Exide battery for another so called Exide battery and within three years that had another cell failing. The quality of the plates produced in China is nothing like the German Varta ones that BMW used to put in their bikes years ago.
But this USA produced dry battery is great having put it through some tests in my workshop. Will in future pay more for a better made battery. By the way got hold of the Odyssey battery on eBay from a Peterborough company that was cheaper than others on the internet.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4688 seconds. There are 606 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption