BM'ers on Tour in France

52 Posts | Latest reply on 07/11/2013 03:30:00 by madscots | Go to original / last post
GL Blue's Profile
GL Blue

In: essex
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Thanks for the info vlad&sprint,does that now mean a breathaliser is not required.                                                                                                                                                                             
GL Blue's Profile
GL Blue

Just been thinking (bit unusual i know)will you be using the national roads for the tour,don't know if you have to pay for bikes on m/ways.Used to drive through France a lot in truck and always tried to stay on national roads, some really good scenery and some nice small towns and villages.There are plenty of services on m/ways but on national roads you have routies truck stops with good size parking areas, always nice to stop and have a cuppa.
Sprint900's Profile
Sprint900

In: leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

My friends live in France and they don't keep any in either of their cars as supposedly not required now.                                                                                                                                                                              
GL Blue's Profile
GL Blue

Thanks sprint; Might be worth carrying them just in case knowing what the french police are like.Had a few runins with them in the past.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sprint900's Profile
Sprint900

In: leeds

If you have a sat nav (phone included) turn off speed camera modes,they're not keen on that.                                                                                                                                                                              
GL Blue's Profile
GL Blue

I shall remember that one thanks.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Hay GL Blue, as far I know there is no exemption on bike on toll roads as I had to pay but word of warning " take euros and don't pay by card as you will be charged as a Car" ..As for the route will be available shortly as I've now moved to Sunny Scotland Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Righto

Don't need breathalyzer(s)
Don't need a bulb kit
Don't need a triangle

Don't need to have hi viz vest at all as it's about reflective area on gear not a bib, most bike gear already has strips on them which more than covers what you need.

It is greed that bikers cannot carry all that crap and is for cars and larger to have.... not for bikes

There is a law stating you should have reflective strips on helmet although I have never heard of anyone being pulled to check a sticker on helmet (been in France 5 times now in 12 months alone). Again unless you are riding at night no one is gonna check.

Must Haves.....
Need original Docs (not just photocopies)
take 2 sets of keys (good point by Andy)
make sure you Insured for bike in EU
make sure you have EU breakdown
Carry Passport and docs with you at all times
EHIC card to cover you for medical needs.

I had an accident in France on my Rocket 3, 4 weeks ago and had to use pretty much everything listed above. 

Anything anyone not sure about Pm me as don't want to take over Andy's thread.  If you have never been to France it's a fantastic place just watch out for their car driver Cry

GL Blue's Profile
GL Blue

Thank you for the info everybody i shall be making notes.                                                                                                                                                                             
Steve_H's Profile
Steve_H

In: Teesdale
58% Karma58% Karma 58% Karma58% Karma

Moto Dordogne bikers campsite used to be very good. Anyone been there recently?
Nice place to hole up for a few days.                                                                                                                                                                             
DERBYJOHN's Profile
DERBYJOHN

In: DERBY

Just a few points as they spring to mind..euro symbol on number plate and/or gb stickers on bike..remember if stickers on panniers and topbox if you take them off you will not be displaying stickers...check your mobile phone will work abroad...as stated originals of docs must be carried even logbook...if you dont own bike you should have letter saying you can borrow it..spare glasses should also be carried...your insurance usually covers you for eu countries remember not to stray into switzerland for example if its not an eu country...also a first aid kit is a requirement and some requirements can vary with the country...cash in euros will be needed for things tolls meals speeding fines...a credit card with a limited amout of spend on it in case stolen but used for petrol.above all dont forget to enjoy yourself...john.
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

no requirement for carrying a first aid kit on a bike as far as I'm aware Confused.  Being blunt if you need medical help they are pretty useless for anything other than a scratch.

I carry one but as rule of thumb one person or delegated people should carry

First Aid Kit
Tyre Weld (I also carry a pump)
Puncture repair
and a decent small toolkit with cable ties

On my tours i carry all of it but with an average of 12-23 BM'ers following you expect to need something over a weeks run LOL

All hail cable ties lol

I do think that this is detracting from the tour itself though lol.

For folk that are reading all this, unless you do something stupid or have an exhaust that is stupidly loud then no one will bother you.  French law enforcement are great bunch and traveling round is no issue.  

I love riding through France and never had a single issue with being there even after having a bump this year.

Touring abroad in company of these guys is fantastic and I will warn you go you'll want more LOL

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5781 seconds. There are 673 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption