What would you do?

11 Posts | Latest reply on 07/08/2013 07:37:24 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I have a 14year old Road King Classic that I love, but my wife has given me the option of buying a new bike. The new bike, a Street Glide, is @£18k but I think that if I spent @£10k on my Road king doing it up....it would be more the bike i want than the stock Street Glide.

What would you do if you had the choice? New or Upgrade existing Bike?                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

me personally? would look to add to bikes rather than sell,another shed is cheaper than a harley....so is a shed full of second hand bikes....qed..Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

If you are happy with your Road King Classic, then why not stick with it. Age means nothing, condition and suitability means far more Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
39% Karma39% Karma 39% Karma39% Karma

and agree with david,if old faithful friend still does everything you need it to,why change?                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

I have to agree with Dave & Jinx Thumbs Up   What needs to be considered IMO Approve   Is what kind of bike can you get for 10K Ermm   Will it be as good as your current bike with that 10K spent on it Question   If the answer is no, then you have your answer Thumbs Up   But if the bike you have now isn't "in your soul" Disapprove   If it's just "a bike"  that  wont be missed or mourned Wink   Then no amount of money spent on it will help Thumbs Up   But if it's part of the "family" then it makes "economic" sense at least, to upgrade it Approve     If you fancy the idea of a "new bike" then go ahead & spend 18K Wacko                                                                                                                                                                               
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Hmmm..."but my wife has given me the option of buying a new bike"

Well, that's very generous of her....but why has she made this offer? She's done it for a reason. You don't just offer to buy a new bike, well not in my experience anyway?

"but I think that if I spent @£10k on my Road king doing it up....it would be more the bike i want than the stock Street Glide."

....I'm a bit biased (cos I said something similar when I was married, although the amounts of money were much smaller) but I interpret this as meaning, "I love spending time in the garage doing up bikes rather than going out riding em"

I don't know her, but I think you have to ask yourself how your missus would feel if you chose to spend £10k on doing up a bike, rather than buying the bike that you can get out on and ride

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hi Minnie
There is an element of truth in what you say but there is a long story behind my question.
30 years ago when i was courting, I was in the army. I had saved £3k and thought that I would propose to my wife, so i asked her if she would accept my hand in marriage. I said that if she accepted I would put the money as a deposit on our first house and if she said no then i would buy a Harley and disappear into the distance. Anyway she accepted and i put the money as a deposit on our first house. She always said that I would have a Harley one day..so 20 years (and many other bikes later) she bought me a nice 2000 Harley road King classic. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my bike but it is starting to need attention..the chrome is flaking, there is some rust and it is generally looking tired. I am not overly impressed with the styling of the new lineup from HD but the Street glide is light and fast and can carry all the accessories i need for long distance touring. Part of me however wants to upgrade what I have..new big breather, chrome, braids, wheels, tourpak etc etc. The only problem is, HD accessories don't come cheap and would my Roadking be worth all the effort?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Some great answers guys...thanks for your help                                                                                                                                                                             
justjerry's Profile
justjerry

In: The Lizard
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

My answer here would be....

For 10K you could have a bespoke upgrade from any number of custom shops instead of limiting yourself to off the shelf HD bits and bobs that anyone can buy.
So have a chat to a few of them and get yourself your very own completely individual bike that you'll love for years to come Beer                                                                                                                                                                             
fxr swas's Profile
fxr swas

In: South Shields
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

I'd check out shops in the states first and american ebay ,can be loads cheaper and most are good at getting the stuff sent,at times quicker than over here,twin cam stuff is cheaper than evo stuff,by quite a lot,I use places in the states a lot now.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks guys, 
does anybody know of good reliable custom shop in the South East?                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6094 seconds. There are 849 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption