Electrics

10 Posts | Latest reply on 25/08/2013 08:28:34 by Intruder18 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Is there an auto electrician in the house?   My bike's tail light refuses to work, despite checking the bulb, fuse , connectors, and wiring!Cry   All other lights work ok.                                                                                                                                                                             
thediver37's Profile
thediver37

In: Ruthin

Does the brake lights work. If they do work then you need to check the resistance in the tail lights wiring.                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

In: LOWER DUNSFORTH

Hi XK,
         are you getting 12 volts to the bulb? Check using a multimeter to a good earth point or the negative battery terminal. If you do get voltage to the bulb then check the earth connection to the bulb holder.                                                                                                                                                                             
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

the tail light usually runs off the parking light circuit. check this light works. if you have a multimeter check the bulb for continuity on both filaments if dual filament. if not connect it up to the battery with two bits of wire and check both filaments, one wire to the two blobs of solder on the bottom of the bulb and the other to the metal shell of the bulb, both filaments should light or new bulb.
      replace the bulb and disconnect the tail light from the wiring harness. with a wire connect the black wire to the negative terminal of the battery, the other two (one at a time ) to the positive. both filaments should light or you need a new bulb holder.
    reconnect the black, and connect one at a time the two other wires as above. if no filaments come on the earth is broken, then run a wire from the black to the negative terminal of the battery, check light (not forgetting to reconnect the other two wires ). or whichever wire of the other two produces NO light is the broken one. it is often easier to replace the whole wire as opposed to trying to find the break, so trace the wire, by colour to the headlight shell and run a wire from here to the rear light and hopefully you will have a working light.

you can easily go round and round in circles with electrickery so be methodical and do it step by step and you will get there. happy hunting.
timhall's Profile
timhall

Anther thing to check. The front side light is working, as you sat. This and the tail light should be connected together. check this again use a multimeter. If no connection then look for a broken wire or connector that has come adrift.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

SortedThumbs Up   I used to have a pair of mini-spots. I had taped up the wiring, but a bit came away allowing contact to be made with the frame, causing a short.   Thanks to all for your advice.                                                                                                                                                                             
timhall's Profile
timhall

Glad you got it sorted XK.                                                                                                                                                                             
turbo58's Profile
turbo58

In: glossop derbyshi
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Are there any auto sparkies local to me my bikes has stopped charging also prob with a jeep i have if any one can help before i go down the garage route i would be grateful eddie tel 07931950999.                                                                                                                                                                             
turbo58's Profile
turbo58

In: glossop derbyshi
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Are there any auto sparkies local to me my bikes has stopped charging also prob with a jeep i have if any one can help before i go down the garage route i would be grateful eddie tel 07931950999.

Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

Just google search it in your area pal !!                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4526 seconds. There are 1987 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption