Fitting new Bars to my Harleyy

26 Posts | Latest reply on 29/01/2013 12:25:30 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

i have a new set of bars to fit on me harley coz i want to bring them about 1-2 inches closer to me for more arm comfort as they are just a bit too stretched for my liking currently..... anyhow, when i was riding today i thought if i fit (with help i add!!) these new bars will it drastically change how my bike handles around corners etc will i notice or wont it really change things much at all ?   it was just a thought that came to me while riding today - does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this one please? Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

It shouldn't change the way it handles, Can't you losen the bars you have on now and pull them back to where you want them??                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

thanks for reply Bluey Smile - the bars have already been brought towards me as much as is possible and they will just start to turn downwards if go any further - if you get me......   hence got this new pair from harley dealer for a fiver Wink  and want to try them see if they give me just that little bit more                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

As Bluey says moving the bars shouldnt make any differance to the way the bike handles may just feel odd for a bit untill you get use to the new position. before you go to the trouble of stripping all the existing  controls down just unbolt the bars and get someone to hold them forward and try the new bars in place and see if there a good or bad position if there no good you have only undone 4 bolts not stripped the complete setup 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

good shout jp thanksfor that Wink coz i was a bit worried about getting it all back on if i dont like em and i have offered em up but nto with the other ones out the way so to speak ... thanks Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Sweeny Todd's Profile
Sweeny Todd

In: Leicester

First of all happy birthday.   I changed my standard bars to the straight drag bars and didnt make any difference to the handling of my Harley. after a few miles I was used to how the new bars felt                                                                                                                                                                              
xj's Profile
xj

In: London

make sure all your control cables and hoses are long enough to reach the new bars. just a thought. Tongue                                                                                                                                                                              
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

Hi.. Just echoing what Xk has said really .. I have just changed my risers and had to re route the cables and pipes a different way through the triple tree to create more slack .. :-)                                                                                                                                                                              
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

That should have been XJ sorry .... Joys of iPad :-) and piano players hands ....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks Sweeny, xj and intruder Big smile - good news it wont change handling of my bike   you've just reminded me why i hadnt done it already - the cabling!! grr - i think first off will loosen and offer up the new ones and see what happens with all the cabling   would it be whole new cables or can current ones be extended - maybe stupid question bt this sounds lie it could be a reet troublesome job lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Depends on how much bigger the bars are, I took the standard bars of my sporty and fitted some lower and wider bars but the cables fitted. You should have enough for about 3" of difference.                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle

if the bar will fit with no problems and the cables are long enough  and they feel more comfortable Suzi than go for it, the more comfortable you are the better you will ride the bike and the better it should handle                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

il have to get the current ones loosen ed off like jp said i think and offer up the new ones -   ive a feeling the cables may not be quite long enough coz they are a bit more ape than my current ones  bluey- not mad like bt defo bit more but will see once loosened off other ones i guess then deal with whatever needs doing ie cables!!   i cant wait bill coz it will be soooo fab to be riding with that bit more arm comfort love it Big smile                                                                                                                                                                                 
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle

you can sometimes reroute the cables Suzi but make sure you dont trap them when on full lock and that there is still some slack on them,
          than get out there and enjoy                                                                                                                                                                               
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

Also Suzi ... The break pipes are the clincher there should be no strain on these at all :-) as Bill mentioned they can be rerouted ....

Malc.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

yus thanks bill and Intruder Thumbs Up - think im gonna get someone to come help me out with this one maek sure its all done proper like Wink.....                                                                                                                                                                             
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

Good call Suzi :-) needs to be propper innit ....!                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham

Did you get sorted suzi ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

nope me not got them sorted yet, not had the hands on help yet jp...   im not one to get things done quickly i tend to build up to them pmsl - in other words im a bit laid back!!! bt that is cool its not an emergency ...;. yet!! hahaha   bt i will probs try get someone to help in next few weeks as i got some time off end of month                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

late reply i know hun,only diference in feel should be on slow speed steering only because of new position ,handlin will stay same.
if you need a chuck on giz a nod old times sake :)

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9531 seconds. There are 856 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption