Overheating Problems - Advice Please

13 Posts | Latest reply on 29/08/2012 15:54:33 by JP | Go to original / last post
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've got an old VT500 EF which is overheating. There's no sign of any leaks from the hoses and the radiator cap looks ok. I'm no mechanic but am told if it was a head gasket I'd have white smoke coming from the exhaust which I don't, and if it was the water pump I'd probably hear it making a noise and when I rev the engine with the rad cap off if the pump's working I should be able to see the coolant drop slightly in the rad; all seems ok there. I don't think there's an air lock in the system and am at a loss for what to try next. Don't get to technical with any replies. What I know about mechanics I could write on a postage stamp, what I don't know I could fill a library with. Any ideas please would be appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Take out the thermostat if that fails to keep it cool flush rad with radflush you could have some or all of the rad clogged with gunge                                                                                                                                                                             
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

Thanks JP, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

warm the bike up and turn it off. feel all over the rad and if it's blocked you should feel some cold areas. thermostat sounds favorite. not good to leave it out long term but defo remove and see if it cures the fault. check oil for signs of water(milky white) good luck.                                                                                                                                                                             
Vladamir's Profile
Vladamir

In: sheffield
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

is the cooling fan cutting in when it gets hot could be something as simple as fan gone or switch gone. If the fan isn't working join the wires at the switch together and if it works then you have a faulty switch. the switch is in the side off the radiator
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

Thanks folk. I'll be having another go at it tomorrow.                                                                                                                                                                             
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

Well it's now cool while moving which is good enough for me in the short term. Now planning a route to Kiss avoiding the M6 just in case I have to stop. See you all at the weekend. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Vladamir's Profile
Vladamir

I have a vt500 aswell so i'll have a look at it at kiss if it's cooling while moving it sounds like a fan problem as mine only needs the fan when in slow traffic                                                                                                                                                                             
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

Cheers mate, that would be great. The fan isn't coming on but never has while moving. Until this morning it was overheating while moving as well so I blasted the hose pipe through the radiator; lol. Rode it and it maintained temperature but no anti freeze in it now. I'm reluctant to drain it again to put anti freeze in this close to the rally when it appears to be working.
JP's Profile
JP

It will be fine simon I will bring a muti tester aswell so you can check out the wiring

Simon66's Profile
Simon66

Cheers JP. Note to self, buy air cooled next time.

Vladamir's Profile
Vladamir

problem with air cooled is you don't know when they're too hot until they sieze                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Vlad You do with a Harley you get dry roasted nuts and thay dont come in a bag                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 612 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption