Damage Caused By Smoking

45 Posts | Latest reply on 04/07/2012 11:30:20 by Roughie | Go to original / last post
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

DAMAGE CAUSED BY SMOKING Smokers in their 30s and 40s are five times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers Smoking contributes to coronary artery disease which increases the risk of a heart attack or stroke It does huge damage to the lungs and massively increases the risk of lung cancer Smoking also increases the risk of other cancers such as oral, uterine, liver, kidney, bladder, stomach and cervical cancer Exposure to secondhand smoke can reduce lung function, exacerbate respiratory problems, trigger asthma attacks, reduce coronary blood flow, irritate eyes, and cause headaches and nausea Smoking in pregnancy greatly increases the risk of miscarriage and is also associated with lower birth weightIts one way to keep the population down. Thumbs Up LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

I'm safe then. I've made it into my 50s Tongue                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

No ur not Thumbs Down LOL.. Thats just a false sense of security LOLLOLLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

Diesel fumes are now considered as damaging as passive smoking, drinking rots your liver, half the chemicals we come into contact on a daily basis are carcinogenic and due to nanny legislation  riding motorbikes is rapidly becoming a no no.

I smoke, I drink, I ride and I take pleasure from all three.

When will people accept that an informed decision by a legally sane adult is their right. Education not legislation is the way forward Smile

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hmmmm, I don't believe that there is any concrete medical evidence currently to prove smoking does more damage than say, pollution does.
Or any medical evidence at all to prove smoking does any damage actually.
Until there is I don't think many smokers will listen to any lectures on the 'dangers' of it.
People can do what they want with their bodies as Gloom says.
yzfsam's Profile
yzfsam

In: downham market

without the tax on tobacco the county would be in even deeper poo. but if they stop selling it to me then I will stop smoking it. what do the government expect us to do buy tobacco and then not smoke it ?. then we can all live long enough to get dementia and be a burden on the country and our family's.    
X Beanz X's Profile
X Beanz X

In: Eaton Bray

"Smokers in their 30s and 40s are five times more likely to have a heart attack than non-smokers"

Oooh i gave up at 23 ..does that mean I am safe LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

well as a none smoker i can say for sure it definitely exacerbates my asthma however im all for free choice...if you choose to smoke thats ok and i dont believe my choice not to smoke is any more important than yours.....i would just choose not to stand next to you will you do it.
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I agree with free choice.. 
If you want to stand next to me and smoke causing me to inhale your passive smoke, then you wont mind me pissing over you when my bladder is full... LOL

I love being a non smoker... Food tastes so much better Thumbs Up LOL mmmmmmmm                                                                                                                                                                              
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

I've nothing against you choosing not to smoke and while I personally don't get off on Golden Showers you may get some takers on here Wink

I assume you are an ex-smoker. If you're not then you are not qualified to make the statement about food tasting better. Personally I don't think a Donna Kebab with lashing of Chilli sauce consumed at 2am will taste any different to a smoker or non-smoker 
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

LOLLOL

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Lulu there's loads medical evidence, 85% of lung cancer in the UK is caused by tobacco smoke (and it increases the risk of stroke and heart attack )  
Also causes  Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, for which there is no cure and  also a killer The only hope to prevent that disease  worsening is to stop smoking
(Ive nursed people with this, ..not pretty   )

There has been recent research into effects of diesel fumes, as Gloom said,which also  causes cancer but more evident in people who are exposed to high amounts due to their work.

The NHS and the British Heart Foundation do try to  provide the information, help and support but maybe it  needs more general health promotion rather than targeting the ones already sick or the  ones who are trying to  give up.

The lungs improve their functionality dramatically over a very  short period of time. There's an  increase of  30% capacity after 2 - 3 months  and all the extra  carbon monoxide is  removed from the body within 24 hours of quitting.

Is an individuals choice, and I agree  education not legislation, informed consent is better                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London

Do you mind if I light up a fag while I think about this Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yes there are increased risks to health from smoking but I have only ever heard of a correlation being found between smoking and lung cancer in the 1950's, perhaps there is concrete scientific medical evidence but I've never seen it publicised anywhere.
All the other diseases related to smoking can be caused by other factors just as easily.
Im a non-smoker by the way.
Oh and to be honest I fail to see why this was posted on this site, none of us need lectures on drinking, smoking or any other contentious issues, Im quite happy to be lectured in the mechanics and basic maintenance of a motorbike but nothing else.
Therefore I shall refrain from any further posts in this thread Big smile

Gloom's Profile
Gloom

Feylin, you won't get any argument from me about the harmful effects of smoking but looking at the latest figures for the cause of death in the UK I see a jump by dementia to third place, which I can only assume is due to people dodging the heart attack and cancer by leading healthier lives.

That is not the way I want to go. Yes I know cancer is a bad way to go out but at least I'd still be able to hold an intelligent conversation with my kids. Dementia on the other hand scares the sh!t out of me.   So I'll stick to my bad habits and keep my passport up to date just in case I ever need to book a ticket to Switzerland.   
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Lulu.. 

its posted under the heading General Chat/Anything Goes

Its just something that I found on the BBC website and thought it was good to bring it to peoples attention. No one asked you to comment on the post. Its all personal choice, same as smoking is Thumbs Up

rockchickeelicious's Profile
rockchickeelicious

In: Newcastle

I've read this.. all of it.. whilst having a cigarette... I really enjoyed my cigarette.. it came with coffee.. huge mug of.. and a cooky from Sainsbury's... The house is quiet.. David is back off down to Swindon.. Minx is with her dad.. Lydia Dah'ling downstairs has her tv turned off.. the next door neighbours aren't having really loud sex.. the cats are asleep and I never get any hassle from the snake anyway...   I really really enjoyed my cigarette!! And.. I shall probably have another one after posting this.. smile at it and say.. not long now sunshine.. so long dear beloved friend...   I am Aware of the Risks.. the Damage it does to me... But I have to quit in just over two weeks time.. with the aid of some "miracle" tablet... And I'm none to impressed at the prospect.. because I enjoy it.. it's as close to living life on the edge that I'm every likely to get lmao... I'm only quitting because I can't afford to smoke anymore.. Not because I'm educated in the dangers of... Cry                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

lol @ David

Gloom, i agree with you.
 I'm an ex smoker, but only a social smoker, take it or leave it , ciggi with my pint kinda girl.
I  didnt give up for any health of financial reason, just decided i didnt want to smoke anymore and stopped. Though I  still have a rare occasional roll up if i fancy, just cos i can. 

Dementia is a life shortening illness, no known cause so maybe with the change in demographics ,more elderly,this is reflected in the figures, moving  dementia up to third place ? just a thought.

A living will an option then ?My kids already know that off  to Switzerland we go if i start down that dementia path 

I don't want my kids to have to make the decision or have to care for me, nor would I have wanted my parents to suffer  that level of senility either  but dementia patients in my opinion ( not for them obviously ) are the "best" to care for Smile  the quality of life however, (to an outsider) is poor.

Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

OMG thanks for all this invaluable information!   Dunno if you heard but there are also risks involved in riding motorcycles Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Lulu

COPD ( chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ) is caused by smoking and only caused by smoking not by any other factors

other diseases i may have mentioned at  put at an increased risk if the person is a smoker 

I dont judge anyone by the choices they make 
RC enjoy  Smileand good luck with the quitting x                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8750 seconds. There are 621 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption