Scots borders camping weekend 24-27 Aug -CANCELLED

92 Posts | Latest reply on 21/08/2012 23:32:35 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Ride out to St Mary's Loch   As the Scottish & English meet up at Hartside went so well I wondered if anyone would be interested in another wee get together?    St Mary's Loch is the largest natural loch in the Scottish Borders, and is situated on the A708 between Selkirk and Moffat, about 45 miles south of Edinburgh, it was created by glacial action during the last ice age. The loch takes its name from a church dedicated to St Mary which once stood on its northern shore, although only the burial ground is now visible. Local legend has it that the loch has no bottom, and it is reputed to be the coldest loch in Scotland. Tibbie Shiel's Inn, is situated by the loch, an 18th-century coaching inn,  bar meals are available. The road is well used by bikers, it's a lovely ride.   To give an idea from Tibbie Shiel's Inn relating to distances   Carlisle   56 miles Ayr, South Ayrshire   81 miles Glasgow    74 miles Edinburgh     43 miles Carlisle    56 miles Newcastle    92 miles Leeds    172 miles all mileage approximate    Meet up points in various areas can be arranged.  I thought sometime during August would good, perhaps Sunday 19th or 26th.  Can you let me know what your thoughts are and if you fancy it? Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                                  
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

count me in ...could hop over for the day or maybe combine it with a couple nights camping somewhere.                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
75% Karma75% Karma 75% Karma75% Karma

I see from the pub's website they do camping there:
http://tibbieshiels.com/

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Just checked it out, Wills - awesome, I'm sold!   Good point is they have fire pits (just as well, as bar food prices aren't cheap!)   But note, u do have to book a pitch.   So, travel up fri evening, and pitch. Sample the pubs beer. Ride out on the sat. Back to the inn for a bbq for tea, followed by a sherbert in the pub. Sunday -late brekkie, then home.   Wotja say?                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious's Profile
rockchickeelicious

In: Newcastle

I'm committed the weekend of the 19th... and the following week I was supposed to riding my bike up to "Thunder In The Glen"... Laugh my ass off!!!!!!!! Would come home in a bodybag..   But.. have said that if I can progress safely in riding skill.. I will still have a wee holiday in the Borders with David and Minx... so this could be doable the following weekend and it did get me a little on the excited side seeing it... But it would have to be the following weekend for me and can't promise right at this second.. although.. I really really want toooo.... Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

So.. just to clarify.. in a nutshell...   Lush lush lush Idea... and I'm a "potential maybe" xxxx                                                                                                                                                                             
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

I have asked for this thread to be deleted, as I won't be able to continue the organising of it.  It's open to anyone who wants to take it on.  This will be left on for a few days then deleted.                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

Moffat has a biker hotel , as in , a hotel for bikers . They have a high walled and locked parking area . Each room is available with it's own padlocked bike garage . Good food too . I'll see if I can dig out the www. Some great ride outs in the area . Dusty
rockchickeelicious

Actually BobKat.. I'm kinda gutted now that it's not happening... Hug Hunny xxxx                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

think you might find this is the one!   http://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

you take over the organising then Rockchick Big smileBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

Lmao Kwakgirl!!   I didn't even know the North East had somewhere called "Weardale"..   Scotland.. omgiddyaunt lol... Bless you though.. shall take it as a vote of confidence Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                                 
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

www. Motorcyclescotland.com
the Buccleugh arms hotel . The Guy that owns it (a yank)is a biker , really chatty in an ok sort of way . They have little maps printed of good rides on the area.
From Moffat to Selkirk there's a few timber wagons on the road plus the obligatory sheep . But gorgeous scenery . There's a cafe at St Mary''s as well as the boozer.
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

lol @ RC sure its only up the road some! lol Wacko   maybe we should ask Dusty...he seems keen! ErmmBig smile                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

maybe we should ask Dusty what ?                                                                                                                                                                              
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

haha....feck lad took ya long enough to bite! Wink to organise this  trip that Bobkat cant do now.Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

ok then , who's up for the friday 24th August till sunday 26th August . I would recommend carlisle ~ moffat ( on the pre motorway B7076, the old A74' ) ~St Mary's . The eastern (SELKIRK) end of the glen is better going up than down (steep and lots of sheep) return from SELKIRK ~ A7 HAWICK,pronounced HOYK. Big Sainsburys in Hawick~Langholm ~Carlisle . Saturday rideout to be arranged .
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

There's a 'road' running due west from St Mary's Loch going over the Tweedsmuir Hills which looks... erm...interesting. Wotja reckon, Debs?Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

All of this weekend will be done on 'A' roads should any L platers wish to come .
Jct 43 Carlisle M6 200yds a large tesco fuel +cafe. Visible from the roundabout.
Jct 44 a large Asda (signed workington) 300yds.
I'll sort out the camping at st Mary's
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh
15% Karma15% Karma 15% Karma15% Karma

Mind your midge repellent LOL

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7188 seconds. There are 573 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption