To WD40 Or Not..

36 Posts | Latest reply on 08/06/2012 20:33:30 by rockchickeelicious | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

GT85 smells nicer Smile 

ref washing off salt - thought the current wisdom was to use cold water rather than warm/hot...

if you're serious about using the bike through the mucky weather then ACF50 (or similar) as mentioned above is the best bet... in the summertime, unless you really dont take the bike out in the wet, or if its parked up, a quick squirt of WD/GT then wipe off the residue will help keep the bike shiny, till it gets a proper clean... works for me and the shiny bikes..
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ACF50 is the best at protection, but also the most expensive and it is a lot harder to clean of......if you thoroughly clean the bike and apply with a cloth and spray into hard to reach areas it does all that WD40 does and more.....but as long as you wash the bike down regularly..... Mine gets hosed after every trip in the salt and is clean as a whistle....even if it's a bucket or two thrown under to get the worst of it off between cleans...

Bottom line if you can afford ACF50 fine, if not WD40 GT85 will work with regular cleaning....
rockchickeelicious's Profile
rockchickeelicious

In: Newcastle

Ehmm.. Ehmmm.. Ehmmmmm!!   Okay.. bizarrely I have the spongebobssquarepants song "who lives under the sea" in my head after reading all that...   I live on the Northumberland Coast.. will be riding on the roads.. country and alongside sea.. she is parked up outside constantly but with a huge huge cover on her.. but in the two weeks she has been home and all the awful storms and rain we have had.. already her front wheel needs attention because the cover keeps being lifted off in the middle of the night...   I think.. I shall do a mixture of both... WD40 for hard to reach places but I am "old school" and hard work never killed anyone.. I will get as much joy and pleasure from washing and polishing her properly as I will riding her...   Soooooo.. this weekend along with new bike gloves.. I shall get WD40 for hard to reach bits.. and read the pro's and cons on the ACF50 and GT85.. and yes budget is a considerable primary factor in this.. so if we're talking £20 or more.. I will buy her a tent Wink   Thank you to Everyone who contributed to this discussion.. whilst my head is a little battered at your toing and frowing between each other I think I get the general gyst.. Bless ya's Hug   Oh... and I like that she is a "Steed" ~ Nice!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

now if want a real in depth discussion rockchickie-d, then you should start a thread asking which is the best oil or tyres to use!!!! Smile  every bike forum has one of those, and they normally run and run... Big smile                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchickeelicious

She has tyres hun.. one at the front and one at the back... Wink   Although.. Oil.. yes... that's gonna crop up sometime soon.. the only "Oil" I can think of is Castrol GTX.. and yeah yeah.. I know you all expected me to come out with "Olive" ~ Am not that blonde.. yet!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

mmmm how about religious debate polish yes or no and if yes which polish ?                                                                                                                                                                             
Laffo's Profile
Laffo

In: Bumblethwaite

" I will buy her a tent" pmsl...Clap                                                                                                                                                                              
rossoandy21's Profile
rossoandy21

In: ashford

Niel.....ref oil n tyres...

I have found that the furthest they apart the better!

oil needs to be slippery and tyres sticky!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

*sniffs* and wipes away a tear...   She has little dots of rust on her exhaust on the inside... It rained so bloody much some must have got in and was left there and *sniffs again* am worried the rot has set in...   What to doooooooooooooooo????                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Polish with solvo auto sol it will remove the rust spots and leave a good polished serface and slitely oily residue on the pipes                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchickeelicious

JP.. you are an absolute Diamond Star Bless your heart for that.. Thank you!!!                                                                                                                                                                                 
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

now spay it with WD40                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

If you want to keep the exhaust chrome nice and shiny, as JP says give it a good polish with Solvol Autosol (not cheap but you don't need much it goes along way Wink) using a fairly hard cloth (old denim jeans are good) work it well in till it goes BLACK keep rubbing till all the polish has dissapeared  Then BUFF it as vigorously as you can [till your arm aches] with a clean DRY soft duster/teeshirt/old cotton knickers till it shines Then start the engine and and get the pipes/silencers warm {not hot} and turn the engine off  Then, whilst it's still warm take another clean soft cloth and smear the exhaust with 3 in 1 oil and leave it to cool off When cold you can wipe off any residue and re-buff to leave them sparkling Thumbs Up The exhaust will stay shiny for a lot longer than just a "standard" clean and polish When its warm the chrome expands and the "pores" open up so the oil gets "absorbed" and helps to repell moisture and the chrome will last a lot longer Once a week if you ride a lot, once a month if you don't Ermm Enjoy Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

Its the attention to detail in this reply that I love.. can't go far wrong following those wee pearls of wisdom... thinks that a "demonstration" as some folk learn kinetically wouldn't go amiss lol LOL   Seriously though.. thank you EmZed and everyone else... and at the mo.. it's a once a month job.. but in a few weeks time.. it's gonna be a once a week job... Whoooooooo hooooo!! In advance like...     now.. where' did I leave my wee Ellieminx.. she has little fingers.. can get into hard to reach bits...                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

If you're a GOOD girl Wink   You might get a PERSONAL demonstration of the technique Ermm   That's NOT an invitation to get it mucky on purpose   Evil Smile   Em Cool                                                                                                                                                                              
rockchickeelicious

LMAO!!!   Okay.. on that happy note... I'm outta here again... till Sunday LOL                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6094 seconds. There are 755 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption