Damage Caused By Smoking

45 Posts | Latest reply on 04/07/2012 11:30:20 by Roughie | Go to original / last post
TigerTim's Profile
TigerTim

In: Bishop Auckland
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I have smoked for many years. I do not want to give up, I enjoy a fag, especially with a cuppa or a pint. The smoking ban that the nanny state forced on us is part of the reason why pubs are closing at an alarming rate. I do agree with not smoking where people are eating though. It is my choice, my life and my body. Who, other than myself, has the right to tell me what to do? Certainly not wishy washy do gooders!!!! This is meant to be a free country, this freedom is being eroded away by succsessive governments which they must stop doing before we have nothing left. All those people who died in 2 world wars must be turning in their graves, they gave their lives for our freedom
rockchickeelicious's Profile
rockchickeelicious

In: Newcastle

Omg Tim.. wow   I have BraveHeart Theme Music playing in my head... and William Wallace just threw his sword in the air and cried...   Freedom!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

I also have God in my other head.. saying something like "judge ye not lest ye be judged yeself..." can't quite get it but either way.. I'm not entirely sure if that's delusion induced from chaing smoking or not...                                                                                                                                                                              
TigerTim's Profile
TigerTim

That is a good quote Anne along with "he who is without sin cast the first stone". I'm not a religious person, spiritual yes, religion no. I have mentioned my views on this in another thread somewhere. What I do believe with a passion is the basic right to choose what you want to do, if I want to smoke, drink or even hurtle down the motorway at some speed then I will.
rockchickeelicious

I think for sure it was definately Chain Smoking Delusion induced.. seems I can't spell either and I'm not even going down the route of my religious/non religious/spiritual beliefs... the only way "God" comes into this is when I hear my nagging grandmother say...   "Hinney.. if God had wanted you to smoke he would have put a chimeny in your heed..." she was often delusional too if I recall.. Wink                                                                                                                                                                                 
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

TT while I generally agree with your comments, if by "hurtle down the motorway at some speed" you mean twist it back to the stops and see how fast it is I have to say that that interferes with people who do not wish to exceed the legal speed limit.
I support personal choice even when IMHO they are bad ones but only to the point where it doesn’t interfere with someone else’s right to make their choices.   
TigerTim's Profile
TigerTim

No gloom I don't do that, especially in traffic, I don't need to go at full throttle to enjoy my biking, petrol is too expensive too. But if the road is clear why do I have to stick to 70? Please note that I am being very careful in my wording so I don't incriminate myself. Sorry I should have made this clear in my previous post
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

A long empty road is an invitation waiting to be accepted                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Tim Freedom of choice then  ? 
As i see it  we have freedom to elect  who will make the laws prohibiting that freedom, but without  laws there is no public infrastructure 
I share the view of  Gloom, and  reverting back to the original topic, I  do not preach to anyone as an x smoker but fully  support personal choice.

TigerTim's Profile
TigerTim

It makes no difference who we elect, they are all as bad as each other, or put it another way, all as good at mismanagement as each other. I believe that if a person actually wants to be a politician then that should automatically ban them from being one. What this country needs is a real good shake up. I'm going to shut up now as some of my political views may cause trouble and this is a nice friendly place and not a suitable place. I will add that I'm not racist,homophobic or a follower of the bnp. Just a believer in common sense
rockchickeelicious

Meanwhile back at the ranch.. I've smoked another cigarette... Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

This will not be a problem when you end up in hell for being such a norty girl!Evil SmileLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
rockchickeelicious

Exactly...   Which is why given the choice I wouldn't give up... but that evil old devil called "money" took that choice away from me                                                                                                                                                                              
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

In: Leonard Stanley
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

ok,enough of the crap.i used to smoke.i had a stroke.if you ignore the warnings of people with a medical background,then maybe you'll listen to me......i was LUCKY,o.k....whilst in glos.hospital stroke ward,i met ,talked and cried ,with people a third my age, their lives now focused on who will take their arm because they are now blind,who will clean them and wheel them around for the rest of their lives,because their limbs no longer function,will never know the sound of birdsong or the rumble of exhausts,now being deaf.having a stroke may not kill you,god willing,but its not a old people's 'thing',not even necessarily a smoker's cum-uppance,but PLEASE,if you can quit,by whatever means you have to ,then please do.smoking was a particular pleasure of mine ,roll ups a delight for over 40 years.i regret all the things i will never recall again,the memories wiped from my past,like i said,i was lucky.if you wont listen to intelligent people...then take heed from an eejit.
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

p.s. as feylin said, i concur,it's your choice and i would fight for your right to air your own personal opinions.choice is one thing we have left that nobody can stifle.                                                                                                                                                                             
justjerry's Profile
justjerry

In: The Lizard
1% Karma1% Karma 1% Karma1% Karma

My tuppence, for what it's worth...

Yes, smoking's bad for you. 
You'd have to be living in your own world to not recognise this. 
So's alcohol + bacon sarnies, going fast in cars or bikes, and lord knows pretty much all the fun things in life

But...  the single biggest problem facing this world is the over population of human beings.  So anything that kills us off at an earlier age should be provided free by the state...  so I'll have 200 embassy no1's and several cases of stella please and at least I'll go out happy, thankyou  Beer                                                                                                                                                                               
jinx57's Profile
jinx57

make it jack daniels and strong dry cider and i'll come up and sit with you Jerry,mate.Hug                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
84% Karma84% Karma 84% Karma84% Karma

As if we need anymore posts that are likely to cause disagreement!   I particularly dislike the last two sentences of the opening post, IMHO it's tactless at the very least, to say that miscarriage keeps the population down and to laugh about it. Smoking is an addiction and difficult to quit, for some, even if they are pregnant. Miscarriage is no less devastating just because someone smokes.   Smoking in pregnancy greatly increases the risk of miscarriage and is also associated with lower birth weight Its one way to keep the population down. Thumbs Up LOL

Gloom's Profile
Gloom

I actually thought that this thread was a great example of how tolerant most members are. Even those that thought smoking was a stupid, destructive thing to do seemed to support the right of an individual to chose as long as they didn't have to suffer from second hand smoke.

On your second point. I took it as a tongue in cheek comment that was not intended to cause offence or distress, although now that you have pointed it out I do see where you are coming from.     
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Sandi

If you dont like it then delete the thread!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0000 seconds. There are 955 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption