Side-saddle only for female pillions

35 Posts | Latest reply on 01/03/2013 10:39:00 by Harley_Rider | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

We may moan about the latest EU laws affecting how we ride bikes in Europe, but a proposed change in the law in Aceh in Indonesia may see female pillions having to ride side-saddle only.    In the Islamic law stronghold of Aceh, it's been proposed that women pillions must sit side-saddle with both legs dangling off to one side of a motorcycle. This is instead of straddling bikes as normal when passengers, which is being deemed improper by the local administration. Apparently the new law is to restore fading local values and make it easier to differentiate the gender of a passenger.   Mayor Suaidi Yahya told news agency AFP "Women sitting on motorbikes must not sit astride because it will provoke the male driver. It's also to protect women from an undesirable condition.  It's improper for women to sit astride. We implement Islamic law here." Women riders may straddle a motorcycle, but only if dressed appropriately. According to the Lhokseumawe Legislative Council this means no denim, and without showing any curves. Many Muslim and women's activists have condemned the planned law, which is due to be assessed by the local government in the coming weeks.   How the heck they going to stay on the bike if they are sat side saddle??   'Women riders may straddle a bike' It'd be bloomin difficult to ride a bike side saddle if you're the pilot   Would you take a pillion if they sat side on?                                                                                                                                                                                 
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

I wouldn't personally Sandi Disapprove   But from memory I'm sure I've seen pictures of girls in Italy riding "side saddle" on scooters Ermm   It does look a most unstable way to transport a passenger to me Shocked   But some obviously like it and have "learned" how to keep control of their machine Wink   Although we've also heard the stories of mad Italian scooterists Wacko   Tearing through the streets of Rome and Milan and other cities Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                               
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
85% Karma85% Karma 85% Karma85% Karma

I dont think i would feel safe and am sure Mr Ken would have palpitations if i did it lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

Em I imagine a scooter is more stable, than a motorbike, to start with, and still can't see how riding side on has any merits whatsoever.   Should we start the petition now, 'No to compulsory side saddling' before the new rule is put in place in the UK?  lol   Jackie I reckon most pilots would lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

its the norm for traditionally dressed ladies in India to pillion sidesaddle.. bikes for the Indian market come with a saree guard to prevent said garment getting tangled in the rear wheel Smile

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02430/Delhi_2430247b.jpg
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Why would they need to differentiate the gender of a passenger??

And how would it restore 'fading values'?????

...and isn't it an assumption that it's a  MALE rider - why couldn't it be a female rider???

This is not about  how to ride bikes, it's yet another subversive attempt to dominate  women, and using the fact that being women it's their fault....in case they  PROVOKE the bloody men!!!!

Annd - what is the 'undesirable condition' that these women need protecting from......freedom maybe?????

This makes me so angry!!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

That exactly wat i was thinking PB.... "It's also to protect women from an undesirable condition.
What the Censored does that mean!!??...... do bikes carry soemthin i dont know about then??   It's disgusting and im sooooo glad i dont live in that country and im sooo in awe and respect for the lasses that put their lives at risk to fight this ridiculous controlling scarey regime...   Another example of people thinking they can rule peoples lives in a manner that is totallky wrong                                                                                                                                                                             
kwakgirl's Profile
kwakgirl

In: Kilmarnock

clearly the government are all MEN! and therefore following that to its natural conclusion.. fckwits! Angry                                                                                                                                                                             
havfun's Profile
havfun

In: harrogate
7% Karma7% Karma 7% Karma7% Karma

its to ballance the scooter up the engine is on oneside of the machine

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

it seems a bit if'e riding sidesadle but people manage to do it OK on an horse and do jumps like that so maybe it's not so daft after all,                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Bill, riding a horse sidesaddle is a completely different thing to riding pillion on a motorcycle Ermm   Being able to grip the pommel of the saddle ( specifically designed and in some cases "tailor made" by a saddler ) between the legs Approve   Which affords the rider a degree of control over their balance and stability Thumbs Up   Plus being in control of the horse through the reins with both hands Thumbs Up   Sitting sidesaddle on the back of a motorcycle, does not give the passenger any secure seat to anticipate the braking and acceleration forces which are generated as the bike makes progress along the road Disapprove   Very sedate riding on smooth tarmac roads may well be possible without too much instability Ermm   But on roads which have uneven surfaces, (which many rural roads in these "third world " countries have) the passenger may well be thrown around or bounced off the seat causing problems both for them and the rider Unhappy   Sandi, a scooter is a lot less stable than a bike, due having ( in most cases ) much smaller wheels which generate less "gyroscopic" force Embarrassed   Which is the force that keeps the machine upright and traveling in a straight line Geek   And in answer to HF's observation Wink   That could have been a moot point but for the fact  that ( to the best of my knowledge )  it was only the Vespa which had a pronounced "offset" engine, although the Lambretta was slightly too Ermm   And they were "offset" to the left or nearside, which is the side that the passenger seems to adopt mainly when riding sidesaddle Confused   Thereby increasing the weight on that side of the machine Disapprove   Although in countries where they drive on the right Ermm   One would expect the pillion to sit with legs on the other side, away from oncoming traffic Wacko   Just my extra two pennorth Wink   Which may or may not provoke some comments LOL                                                                                                                                                                               
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

surely they would be more secure on a bike holding on to the rider or the seat with one foot on a footrest than holding on to a set of reins on a horse Emzed                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

The "reins" are not for holding onto Bill they are for "steering" and "controlling" the horse which will have been "bit broken" ( correct me if I'm wrong you "horsey people" )   The saddle for sidesaddle riding is specially shaped to allow the rider to sit that way in a firm "seat" with, as I said, the special pommel which is gripped by the leg and of course the "free" leg in the stirrup, which allows the rider to "brace" themselves especially when executing jumps   I dont think you would see any experienced horse rider attempt to ride sidesaddle "bareback"   Which would be the horse riding equivalent of what is being propsed for these women on PTW    I may well be wrong on this and will eat copious quantities of humble pie if I am   But, IMO, horse riding sidesaddle, is a lot safer than just "sitting" on the back of a PTW, with a "standard" pillion seat and hanging onto whatever you can                                                                                                                                                                               
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

Think i would take my chance on a motor bike Emzed rather than an horse, the trouble is they have a mind of there own, so its alright telling them to go left but if thy want they can go any which way they want!!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

I agree with you on that Bill Wink   I wouldn't want to be on anything that weighs  near a ton and has a "mind of its own" Disapprove   But thousands do ride them sidesaddle on traditional hunt type days Wacko                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

as I said on the previous page, its the norm (but not compulsory) on the indian sub continent..also women are excluded from their compulsory helmet laws Shocked

but going back to the original post, as others have pointed out, that is more about backward thinking religious bigots trying to control the population.
Intruder18's Profile
Intruder18

In: Colne

Emz & Bill ...the saddle used on a horse for women to side saddle is designed so that they can sit sideways ...it is shaped and built in that way.. Its not like a conventional saddle ..The lady riding can hook her leg around a specially designed part of the saddle.. Have tried to copy a link but wont work ..just google side saddle ..then image. So its nothing like a bike seat ...what a stupid idea say I .. Not so bad doing 20 mph on a scooter but would be impossible on a propper bike doing national speeds I guess .... Confused
Maybe they should make the male chauvinistic pigs test ride it first on the back of a normal bike ....I would gladly take a few round the twisties on mine to show then that its not practical and NOT safe LOL

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

i know what there are like Int. as i have had to make storage racks for the saddles, one of the ladies i work for compets in and teaches side sadle riding                                                                                                                                                                             
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

Malc, see my previous posts where I explained all that in some detail Wink   I know the saddles are "special" Thumbs Up   I even pointed out that some are "bespoke" (tailored) for the individual rider Approve   But I agree Handshake    IMO it is neither sensible nor safe to ride a conventional motorcycle sidesaddle as a "pillion" passenger Disapprove                                                                                                                                                                               
dustin666's Profile
dustin666

In: carlisle
18% Karma18% Karma 18% Karma18% Karma

I'm sure that I'm not the only ''mature'' rider that can remember having to 'bump start' the bike due it having an extremely ''mature battery .

The technique was ...
2nd gear , clutch in .
RLF down the road
leap in the air and as you
land on the seat '' sidesaddle''
let the clutch out .
Then you rode off sidesaddle .
Then you stand up on the footpeg and cock your leg over , job done . X
. As long as your weight is centered over the bike , I can't see what difference it makes . On a bike , cornering forces push you down into the seat , there is no force pushing you sideways , off the seat . Dusty x

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9219 seconds. There are 470 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption