Round the U.K Coast Trip

13 Posts | Latest reply on 06/04/2012 09:08:52 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi All,

I am considering doing a fundraising/awareness raising trip for Young Carers, around the coast of the U.K. I plan to use coastal roads avoiding A and B roads and will try to keep the sea/estuaries in my peripheral vision where possible. I will not be using a map or SatNav, intending to plan the route first and then without any navigational aids follow my nose!Wacko

It is VERY early days yet as I am waiting to hear back from my employers regarding policies around sponsorship links/partnerships, media, donating, annual leave, etc etc etc basically loads & loads of stuff (my last e-mail about this was five pages long!).

I've estimated 10 - 12 days allowing for getting lost, dirt tracks/dead ends, me being a numpty/promotional stuff/ blah blah blah.

There are way too many logistical/technical/legal/financial/physical considerations to list here but I wondered if anyone had any advice, ideas or information they could offer?
I'm struggling with calculating an accurate distance as road atlas' and routefinder aren't quite up to the job and google maps isn't suitable either, so advice on this would be great!Ermm

I hope to camp or stay with kind folk during the trip, so any provisional offers from folk living near the coast would be very much appreciated too!

Though as yet this is only a proposed trip (you wouldn't think so with the amount of work I've already done!) and is almost entirely dependent on my employers as I cannot possible undertake this on my own, it would be great to get other people's perspectives/advice/tips.Thumbs Up

Thanks for reading this rather lengthy post!Embarrassed                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

For mapping try ordnance survey                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

have a look in this months (April on the cover) edition of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure as theres a bloke in there with tales of his round the coast trip..                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

JP; oops, forgot to mention I've contacted OS; the issue is cost but hopefully they'll come up with an option I can afford at this stage. Thanks for your rapid reply, it'd much appreciated!

Neil; Thanks for that I'll check it out. Most of the trips I'm aware of have been using B roads, so this could be very illuminating! Cheers!                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

Not quite sure how you will avoid A  roads and keep close to the sea as a lot of the coastal roads are duel carriageways these days. Also unless you're used to long days in the saddle I'm thinking 10 - 12 days is a little optimistic.
That said I wish you luck and good fortune with your trip.   
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
99% Karma99% Karma 99% Karma99% Karma

i fancy doing a round the coast trip on a Honda 90, think it would be brilliant and not to bad on petrol                                                                                                                                                                              
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
76% Karma76% Karma 76% Karma76% Karma

This has been a bit of a project of mine for a while and by my reckoning if you stick as rigidly as you can to the coast then you're in for a seriously long ride.
Even if you use the nearest A road to the coast, it starts to look like a 10-day trip unless you're prepare to spend 12 hours a day riding. Work your way round with the back lanes, add in some time for R'n'R and 20 riding days seems more realistic in my opinion.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
81% Karma81% Karma 81% Karma81% Karma

Hi Squiddy, good luck with getting this venture off the ground, and I hope you raise loads of funds, and awareness, on your travels as well as remaining safe. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Phil's Profile
Phil

In: Liverpool

Tap up goggle for come sponsorship by using their mapping.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Cheers folks.

It's fascinating to see how other folk have achieved it and what on, 125 scooters to the TDM the guy used that Neil mentioned . And the differing mileages and timescales;
from 3,600 to 5,000 miles .....and taking from 6 days to 3 weeks!

I think my biggest hurdle is that I'm an employee fundraising which creates further complications!

Thanks again!                                                                                                                                                                             
madscots's Profile
madscots

In: Edinburgh

I've done it and you will need 10 days easy to do it

There are a few areas you need to watch out for that are dead ends and you will have no choice but to come inland for a bit before heading back out.

Wish you all the best  Thumbs Up

Navigator1946's Profile
Navigator1946

In: Pudsey

Hey, Squiddy.  Good luck with the plan.  To help with your route plan, try downloading the free version of T.Y.R.E. -"Trace Your Route Everywhere."  It's a Dutch designed site linked to Tomtom.  It also links to Google maps and Google Earth, so you should be able to avoid most of the dead-ends, etc.  Will be a long task doing the whole coast though!

It will allow you to plan a route, get all the distances you need and you can print off a copy of your route to take with you.  You don't have to have a sat nav to use it (but its brilliant to use if you have a Tomtom!!)

Best of luck

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks for that Navigator, I've never heard of T.Y.R.E! I'll check it out!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6406 seconds. There are 755 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption