Site performance and data purging

34 Posts | Latest reply on 08/07/2007 16:44:45 by Di | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Im looking to upgrade the servers that the site runs on (In the US).  The upgrade will result in a massive improvement in performance and stability of BM.  However, it will mean several planned server outages.   Also, as im on an SQL 2005 course at the moment, I'm realising the importance of weeding out old data.  The bigger the database is, the more records there are, the slower the site is to perform.   For this reason, I have decided that the following data will be 'weeded out' on the specified dates... Forum messages, displaying only 12 months data Private messages, deleted after 3 months (When was the last time you went through more than 5 pages of your PMs?).  PMs will have a 'Save' features which stops them being purged. Chatroom chat, logs now held in the database at great expense.  Will be just 2 weeks records from now on though Matchmaker alerts - deleted if you havent been to the site in 3 months Site log files, holding visitor information, deleted after 1 month.  Dont ask me to investigte issues that were over 1 month ago Plus whatever else I think of later. Let me know if this causes concern, its not yet set in stone.   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
storm's Profile
storm

In: derbyshire
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

its a good idea matt get rid of the old make room for the new   Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

im putting into practice some of the things ive learnt over the past few days on the database course.   Therefore please accept my apologies in advance as the site speed will be going up and down a lot whilst indexes are rebuilt etc   ta                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Got a problem.   If I purge the forums... then everyone's post-count will get cocked up.   Eeek!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
88% Karma88% Karma 88% Karma88% Karma

Does it matter? It doesn't matter to me if my post count goes down, it will look like I don't gas as much as I do ROFL ...besides...I like a good purge lol                                                                                                                                                                                
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough

Ooooo, I can see where I live now! Or did it do that before? LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

no must be a thingy matt has done di lol LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

I asked Matt if he could add the member's area to the avatars, it makes it easier when folk say 'it's raining HERE' (like er...where is 'here'? lol) also helps when folk are arranging meetings, they can see at a glance who lives in their area/surrounding areas.                                                                                                                                                                              
Di's Profile
Di

I'd rather not be reminded actually! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Yea it was one of Kwak's better ideas, lol.   Thinking of something I can do about the forum posts thing, will make the site quicker too if i do it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

That's about as clear as mud Matt lol   'forum posts thing'??                                                                                                                                                                              
Di's Profile
Di

Quote Matt:   Got a problem.   If I purge the forums... then everyone's post-count will get cocked up.   Eeek!   Your memory is worse than mine ffs!                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Nothing wrong with my memory, Deb LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Ermm                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

SORRY EVERYONE - I JUST TOOK THE SITE OUT BY ACCIDENT! LOL Was whilst addressing the forum post count issue.  :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

At least it wasn't me breaking it this time LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

or me! Di lol   Matt, I didn't know you had, til ya told us lol (I wasn't on line)                                                                                                                                                                               
Matt's Profile
Matt

yea it was down for about 5 minutes (ooops).   Just trying to "accessorise" the site a little (Sorry had to get that word in, challenge by a smelly friend sat next to me).                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

Is he still eating marmite on toast? Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

yukkkkkkkk marmite Thumbs Down                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9063 seconds. There are 827 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption