Grrr!! flippin chat room

129 Posts | Latest reply on 07/07/2007 20:27:51 by Matt | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Nope fraid not.  Theres text, stored in a seperate server now, and there needs to be a way of "reloading" the chat conversation window if you see what I mean.   It does it every 15 seconds, and also when you enter a message.   Its only a fraction of a second reload time for anyone with a decent internet connection, its not much data to load.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I will look into the refresh thing though, but need to find something that will work for all browsers                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ok theres a technology available called Ajax.  Its not something I've ever used before so I'm going to have to do some studying.  Just continue as it for the time being though.   Oh - and not all browsers support it.  So it could be that 2 in 10 people wont be able to use the chatroom.  Which leaves me with another problem - people subscribe to use the chatroom and expect to be able to use it!                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

OMG this is fantastic!!!!  I can send data to and from the server without page changes.  This has opened a whole new world of posibilities for me as the site developer now!  I cant believe i didnt already know about this new technology!   For example, it will help when new users are registering on the site in that they can see if their username is taken already or not.   :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

PS: Heres a link for you... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

ok i need some testing please. Ive made it so that the main chat area no longer flashes.   Please let me know if you have any problems.   And before anyone complains, yes I am working on the other areas of the chatroom to stop them from flashing also                                                                                                                                                                             
Di's Profile
Di

In: Wellingborough
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Seemed ok to me Matt!                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

my god this is great! Ive learnt a great new skill/technique today and its ace! So many posibilities with this.   The chatroom is looking better - the users, header and chat text no longer flash.  Ive trippled the files for the chatroom, but its quite a simple technique.   The message bar still flashes, let me work on that because its submitting data rather than retrieving.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

haha, just looking in chat... Quote: "thomsondiane: Cant see any flashing at the min!"   That's because you're late - ive already implemented the changes                                                                                                                                                                              
Di's Profile
Di

Bugger !!!! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

yep much beeter bedankt missed you diane lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

You think I can advertise it any more??? Come on get it used now, ive spent days making this bloody thing!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
RC's Profile
RC

In: Derbyshire

how come i can see the whats goin off in the chat room on the forum?

i just tried to get in to chat all i got is a blank blue screen?

Di's Profile
Di

Gettin used to the bit in the corner now! Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

hope u like the new chat - trying to filter out the problems now and make it as compatible as possible.   Using a new technology that many browsers dont support.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

still deciding about the "Current Chatroom Posts" thing at the top of all forum pages.   Its useful in that you can send a "whisper" to someone who isnt in the chatroom telling them to head on over.  Next time they reload a forum page they will see the message from you.   Give it a go for a few days and see what you think.                                                                                                                                                                             
Mr Shaggy's Profile
Mr Shaggy

In: hampshire

looks pretty good matt.   good one.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

cheers mate, glad u like it.   PS: Ive rotated ur foto for you, ur no longer sideways lol                                                                                                                                                                             
Mr Shaggy's Profile
Mr Shaggy

In: hampshire

ta very much,   still cant get used to this computer thingy !!!   give me a multizone analogue addressable 3 or 4 loop multisensor fire control panel and i am happy !!!   but as i always say,   it what you good at that counts !!!   Mr Shaggy                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Why are there 2 'enter chat' icons on the page? They both lead to the same room Confused                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6250 seconds. There are 760 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption