Pillion insurance

16 Posts | Latest reply on 15/11/2011 12:40:35 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Just had a thought [it doesn't happen very often] when pillions seek a lift do they check that rider has pillion insurance? because it seems more insurance company's are making it an optional extra [cheaper without]
those that regularly go two up would presume to have it, solos that have high rates might often forgo it. It was easier years ago when it was all inclusive.Ermm

Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

I must admit, I've always made the assumption that if I'm being offered a Pilly then they've got pilly insurance!...whether that's right or wrong on my part am not sure Ermm And tbh - I'm of the old school where you were automatically covered for pillys, so it never really crossed my mind till a few years ago, when I was told (mid ride out) that the rider didn't have pilly insurance!!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

would like to see this in a court not sure thay will win                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
59% Karma59% Karma 59% Karma59% Karma

this is another thread that comes up often [not that it's a bad thing] but there's lots of info on this already on the site if anyone cares to look for it 

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Holmfirthgirl, I like you have always presumed that if I have been offered a pilly then the rider was insured to have me on the back.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I always say  "yes" when the question is asked if you would be carrying a pilly,,,,,for anyone that has a pilly seat on thier bike then i dont know how you can say you wont......you could be out riding with a friend,,,thier bike breaks down and you pilly them to safe point etc !!!thats just one example that could happen..bikes without pilly seat i could understand !!!
Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

When I took out my insurance and going through the on-line quote procedure I was asked if I would carry a pillion. I put it through twice, once with and once without and the quote was the same.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Think i done the same Simon and was no difference,,,,,but if you say no then its a loophole for them to sting you should anything happen,,                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I would say its down to the pilly to ask the question 'are you covered to carry a pilly' 

As a member of the events team (for me) its not something that we can check out, apart from anything very often we pilly offers are sorted between people before the event. 

I THINK Daft un asked the question a while ago & found something that as a pilly she could take out, just to give her piece of mind when out  ... but it seems to have been lost in the forums some place .... or it was a private chat I am recalling Ermm

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I'd rather take the cover for the just-in-case moments as Craig mentioned.

But I'd probably say that if it's something you're worried about then you ask the offering rider.
If you don't like the response you don't have to get on, being a friendly society I'm sure someone else will be along shortly Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

my bike insurance for CBF250 was the same for with and without pilly .. the same goes for XV535 but it is one of the questions now x                                                                                                                                                                             
Noddy1's Profile
Noddy1

In: Halifax

Looks like another way of making money to me, I bet if you dont have it & ring to get it included they will charge an admin fee! Ouch                                                                                                                                                                             
Blackberry's Profile
Blackberry

In: Warrington
41% Karma41% Karma 41% Karma41% Karma

Rather naively I've never asked about pillion insurance when I'm clambering on the back of a bike but that's probably due to thinking it was an automatic cover, I now know different!  

Shell ......Daftun (Karen) was asking about pillion insurance for the Germany trip we did this year.  I was lucky and found that I was covered on my upgraded bank account so didn't need to find anything extra, I ensured I got it in writing just in case!

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Ladies think about it ?   Do you trust MEN ?   I trusted my partener when she said she was on the Pill,  18 years ago,I now have two lovely daughters!   Did she take the Pill ? or did she forget to take it ?   Did I tick the Box for Pilly Rider ???   Of course I Did  no hesitation  no definatley ticked the box, yep i can see it now ----- little boxes  Yes    No.  Just under criminal convictions, or was it above. Damn can't remember i looked at so many quotes. But I definatley ticked box ?  I think I will go and check just in case, you know just to be on the safe side. Ahh her we are Bennetts Insurance Key Facts Section 6 Details of Persons Who will Ride the Bike. d. Will you ever be carrying pillion passengers?  answer  YES !.     Joking apart. Because us Men do not tend to carry our insurance Policy docs around with us.   Chaps if you are unsure then do what i did  Check Your Policy, it took me about 30 seconds to find the section, ( an hour to find the bloody policy hidden in safe place) only joking, I have always carried pilly's I  knew i had ticked yes.   BUT PEOPLE ARE HUMAN THEY MAKE MISTAKES !   FOR INSTANCE DVLA HAVE ME A YEAR OLDER THAN MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE.   I COMPLAIN EACH TIME I SEND LICENCE BACK, BUT IT FALLS ON DEAF EARS.   SO IT IS BEST TO CHECK POLICY YOU MAY TICK YES !   BUT ADMIN AT  COMPARE THE IDIOT .COM MAY HAVE TICKED NO !   A BIT LIKE TRUSTING CONDOMS LADIES !   HAVE A NICE DAY  YOUALL !  D.O.A.Sick                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

FOR INSTANCE DVLA HAVE ME A YEAR OLDER THAN MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE.   Mm maybe you should check with your bike insurer, if you need to make a claim and it's noted that the DOB is incorrect they may deny payment and say you're not covered as it's not your DOB.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I've a multi-bike policy, and, have agreed with the insurers which bikes I may carry a passenger on, so that if I do, they are fully covered. But, you must also check with your life, or accident insurance company if their cover extends to you being pillion on a motorycycle, many, so I've been told...don't. The lists of 'prohibited' activities  on life / accident cover application doc's appears to be growing as Insurers attempt to minimise risk, whislt maximising profit....you have been warned!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7031 seconds. There are 1043 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption