prepping bike for winter

41 Posts | Latest reply on 30/01/2012 20:36:51 by spaceboy4 | Go to original / last post
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Craig! You should try living in this part of the north!. There were five full weeks from the end of November till well into January last winter when my road was clear glistening compacted ice cos we just getting snow fall after snow fall...The last two winters have been awful up here with floods and snowfalls ....and I'm old enough to remember 1962 as well Tongue   Thanks folks for all the top tips....my bike is stunningly shiny in the sunshine today so off out to mess it up again Big smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Bikeabill that's a great idea, taking the headlight bulb out.

I'd never considered such a simple solution to always-on lights, especially just starting and running the bike to keep it on song!

Nice one Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx

My mail order ACF-50 was waiting for me when I returned from this afternoons ride out Such a pity it didn't arrive before I set off out cos I could have tested it's efficiency at repelling road-kill detritus Dead                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Running the engine to warm up every couple of weeks then cool down, must be worse than short journeys where the engine and oil do not get hot enough to take moisture out and you end up with creamy deposits on filler cap etc.                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

Are you saying that short rides give you these deposits Harry, if so just warm it up like I said as I have not come across them with warm ups, also I always change the oil and filter when I put the bike back on the road each year                                                                                                                                                                             
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Used to get condensation in oil by using bike for 3 mile ride to work and back, would give it a hard hot ride now and again to dry oil out.                                                                                                                                                                               
Minnie the Minx

Bike now lovingly slathered in ACF50. Did the wheel rims and spokes but couldn't avoid getting some splashes/spray/ drips on the tyre walls. I've rubbed it off with a rag as much as I can. Probably not going out again till next weekend...will I be ok or should I be doing more to clean it off the tyre walls?
Ozzy1000's Profile
Ozzy1000

In: Alnwick

Got to agree with the ACF50 it's brill stuff. You can even wash the bike if you use it and it won't come off as long as you just use cold water. Then use hot after the winter...simples !                                                                                                                                                                             
bomb doctor's Profile
bomb doctor

Might want to make sure your fuel tank is full, cos this helps prevent rust and corrosion-causing moisture from forming inside. Adding a fuel stabilsiser keeps the fuel fresh and prevents the petrol from breaking down during cold conditions, which could result in "gummed-up" or varnished fuel lines, injectors and carburettors'. If you do use a stabilsier, make sure you run the engine for a while to get the mixture through the whole system.

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

Minne dont forget the wind brake                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

minnie do ya mean its on side of tyres as in when you go round bends ya worried?  i got it all over my brake disc!! and was bit concerned but kinda tested em out on drive first and they was fine an she was fine to ride - no problems... i think you will be ok so long as excess is off - i have been reminded many times now to put it on rag to do the wheels but i alwyas forget Confused pmsl... tis brill stuff tho aitnt it Big smile ...                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i agree Harry about running engine not good idea - i ahve been informed by someone who knows a thing or 50 about bikes and apparently it is one of worse things you can do in proper winter as like you say bike does not heat up properly so condensation once you turn engine off actually is worse... so its really hard....  but i just leave her till i ride and if it means buying an optimate then that i will dooooooo Party but i will never start me bike in winter now if im not gonna go on good ride..Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx

I was worried Suzi but I've been out since I committed that faux pas . Took it easy trying out the brakes and everything was fine.
That AC50 is fab. I took the cover off on saturday and she's still looking absolutely gorgeous and the dreaded corrosion isn't breaking out like it was this time last year   She started fine a week ago when I took her to get a puncture fixed....ooohh can't wait for the weather to perk up                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ah thats brill minnie i thought you would prob be okies Big smile - acf50 is feckin ace aint it Big smile im glad your baby is protected from the dreaded corresion...only problemo is all the crap clings to the acf50 bt at least ya know its sparkly underneath!! if i had my way i wouldnt have any chrome on my bike!!! so long as i remember the rag hahahaha!!   i cant wait for pay day tmrw so i can tax my booty again Thumbs Up and like you say lets hope the chill factor warms up a bit soooooooooon Party                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

In: stockport

Muppets fs635 will protect your bike all YEAR ROUND CHEAPER THAT ACF5O AND ALSO IS ATOMISED SPRAY ACTION SO REACHES  ALL THE NOOKS N CRANNIES  ...   YO KOOLKEVCoolYing Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

WD DEF NOT CAN EFFECT RUBBER BITZ   RUNNING THE BIKE DOES IT NO HARM  AT ALL   KOOLKEV.. WOOHOO   RIDE SAFE  YALLCoolYing Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

bill you need professional help   scrubbin tyres in witha grinder (b****t)   they need heat to release mould agents u plonka lol   PMSLCoolKOOLKEVYing Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
66% Karma66% Karma 66% Karma66% Karma

hey whats this whose having a go at me then, i have enough experience to know what works for me and the pros and cons of it was explained in detail by Greasy Tony, which was a good post but as for yours spaceboy 4 i think the space must be between your ears. LOL

spaceboy4's Profile
spaceboy4

ok easy tiger you carry on with your anglegrinder buddi
but if you were to ask me if i ,d shell out £100 plus for a tyre then attack it with an angle grinder  naaa ...oo00   anyway  ride safe   byyyyye                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx

Am  I the only one who hasn't got a clue what spaceboy is on about?? Anglegrinder??? Confused   I value your advice Bill & cheers for taking the time                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8594 seconds. There are 618 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption