Biker killed in collision with Deer

11 Posts | Latest reply on 15/10/2011 14:52:49 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Looks like I had a very lucky escape when I hit one last june... Unhappy

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2011/07...-28995772/

Take care out there folks, you never know what around the next corner or over that wall. I was lucky and walked away, maybe not next time.                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

That's tragic.                                                                                                                                                                              
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
65% Karma65% Karma 65% Karma65% Karma

I had the same thing happen to me coming back from Squires one Wednesday  night on the M62 doing silly speeds, suddenly there was a big Deer on the road in front of me, i could'n swerve so i just aimed for the back of it and managed to miss it but the draught from it blew me right across the road. I was at Squires again the following Wednesday night but dedicated to come home a different way but on a bypass near Hull another small deer ran across the road in front of me, i missed this one easy enough but a car going the opposite way hit it. I then diceded not to go to Squires any more that year on a Wednesday night. 
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

That point on the TT used to have just grass fields at either side of it,... its one of the best bits, and you could see anything legging it across those fields before you got too close.  Now with all the trees been planted, and cover growing, its a haven for the Roe and Sika deer up there, and from a lorry cab at first light, every morning there's 5 to10 grazing a few feet from the wall, all they have to do is walk 10 yards and they are hidden,... or until one decides to go the other way and cross the road.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Didn't know you'd had a close encounter of the deer kind Bill! I've had 3 now cross the road within 'crap your pants' distance, luckily only one of which i hit, and even more luckily it was only a little un.
Sometimes make me think of keeping the sports bike just for trackdays.                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

yes as i said i'v had 2 not looking forward to the 3rd but it is something that people ought to be a were of when they are out on there bikes, actuary i have had a 3ed encounter but that was on a Mountain Bike so dont suppose it counts

old red's Profile
old red

In: Norwich
5% Karma5% Karma 5% Karma5% Karma

Geez a deer on a mountain bike!!??....Chasing you was he BillLOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

I was riding down a track between two fields Old Red, it was quite narrow and below the level of the fields. The deer jumped over the hedges from one field to the other it actually went over the top of me, it's a good job it did't land on the path or it would of landed on top of me, Ouch

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

Yep, I had a squeaky bum moment with a deer on the M180 in Humberside yonks ago...not niceUnhappy

Would have been even less nice for both of us if I'd hit it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

The media just cannot get away from the chance of demonising bikers.   Noticed they bring in 'notorious blackspot' etc to somehow imply that the biker should never have been on that stretch of the road.   It makes you think they are only looking for witnesses to say he was riding too fast!   Shame on the ars*hol*s.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

pmsl@ old red! Funny as .... LOL

Mine was on a long straight stretch of road, 6am, fairly blatting along at the speed limit..., no trees on either side of the road, just a grass verge with a ditch and dry stones walls. The deer must have been down in the ditch eating. Maybe the sound of bikes coming startled it, but by the time i saw it as it appeared against the tarmac from the undergrowth, it was half way across the road. Braked as hard as the 4 pot radial tokicos would allow but without attempting to swerve, as that would have ended in certain disaster.
The ensuing impact, as my mate a 100 yards back reported was just like a mini explosion, splattering the bike and me in blood, bits of meat, fur, you name it.  The impact veered the bike off to the left in a big wobble towards the grass verge, as it hit the right front of the bike. God knows how, but somehow regained control before mounting the grass. Upon stopping, the extent of the damage was very evident. Destroyed mudguard and right side fairing, bent and leaking radiator, lower fork leg casting bent, top fairing broken underneath, headlamp lens intact but all mounts and casing broken, and later discovered frame was bent too.
No surprises that the deer didn't make it Unhappy, in fact we never found it's head, it certainly didn't seem to be attached the the mangled carcass we found in the ditch some way up the road. Riding the bike back, the stench was unimaginable, something i never ever want to have to experience again.
So yes, it cost me a fair chunk of money to sort, the frame straightening alone was £325 plus two 120 mile round trips to deliver and collect. Did luckily manage to get second hand bits to get it usable again, but still was over £700 to sort.

I consider myself VERY lucky. I walked away from it, and walked away away a safer rider too, just goes to show that you never, ever know what's around the corner, or even along a straight road where you think nothing could pull out on you. Was a big wake up call, if it'd been a sheep that weighed a lot more than a roe deer, or heaven forbid a full size deer, then i've little doubt the outcome wouldn't have been quite so kwakarider friendly.

Take care folks, and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4063 seconds. There are 538 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption