Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash !!!

13 Posts | Latest reply on 09/09/2011 02:22:44 by securitybob | Go to original / last post
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

AMAZINGLY a motorcyclist survived being knocked out after hitting a pigeon at 50mph, which caused him to accelerate to 140mph whilst unconscious.

Matthew Brealy, 38, collapsed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 after the low-flying pigeon smashed through his helmet visor, leaving him unconscious but resulting in him opening the throttle - accelerating from 50 to 140mph.

After impact he remained on the bike and continued for a further 200 yards before the bike ploughed into an oak tree. Mr Brealy, from Whittington Moor in Chesterfield, suffered two skull fractures with bleeding to his brain, a broken leg, cracked ribs and a fractured hand in the crash.

He spent ten weeks in Sheffield's Northern General hospital following the accident in April, where his hand was re-wired and a titanium rod inserted in his leg. He is now learning to walk again with help from his pregnant wife Emma.

Describing the incident to the Daily Mail, Matthew said: "It smashed through my helmet visor and even smashed the lens of my glasses, I was doing about 50 mph at the time and the impact knocked me unconscious.

"It appears that I collapsed on the front of my bike and at the same time I hit the throttle so the bike just accelerated out of control.

"Police told me afterwards they estimated that the bike had gone from 50 mph to around 140 mph in a matter of seconds but thankfully for me it happened on a straight road which is why I probably didn't fall off the machine.

"My bike hit an oak tree with a glancing blow, I was thrown clear and the machine was smashed to pieces under the impact.

"Police confirmed a pigeon was the cause of the accident. My visor was left with a hole in it and I was covered in pigeon blood and feathers."

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Nasty . I have hit my fair share of flying rats its bad enough the blood and feathers but it also means you get a helmet full of the little beasts that infest them .                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Wow, how's the pigeon, is he okay?                                                                                                                                                                             
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

lol @markie                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Best excuse ever for speeding???                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Why have i suddenly got 'catch that pigeon' going round in my head !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Same here Bj lol

geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Oh come on Markie!!  The answer to that question is the oldest joke in the book lol!!

The rider was upset but the pigeon was truly gutted!

Boom boom!                                                                                                                                                                              
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

The pigeon is now wearing a pastry overcoatWink                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

This isn't that uncommon, i remember several years ago a seagull getting hit at Philip Island at a GP can't remember who the rider was tho'   It almost happened to me a few weeks ago going down the A272, a bird got spooked by my mate in front and it flew straight at me at head height and i had to duck to avoid getting it in the face Shocked                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

cooo cooo cooo                                                                                                                                                                              
potnoodles's Profile
potnoodles

In: Sheffield

Seen it happen to a m8 on a trackday in front of me - how the hell he didnt crash amazes me still                                                                                                                                                                             
securitybob's Profile
securitybob

In: Kettering

That must suck....i took one to the chest at the same speed and it completely winded me so taking one to the face cant be much fun at all....                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4883 seconds. There are 676 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption