Should I mention my bike on my CV?

23 Posts | Latest reply on 27/08/2011 13:09:49 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

In: Barnsley
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've been updating my CV today and was about to mention in the 'Hobbies/Interest' bit that I had a bike. But then I've been having second thoughts......

Like everything in life some people love bikes and some hate them.

What if the person sifting through the pile of CV's tosses mine into the bin because they think bikes are dangerous and bikers take too many risks and are potentially going to be off work due to injuries?

What do you think?

Have you all included it on your CV's?

Has it given you any extra kudos with the HR manager and actually helped you get the job?

Anybody got any good stories?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Ask the receptionist if the HR chief is a biker. If he is, add to CV, if not, don't chance it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Stroggyman's Profile
Stroggyman

In: Liverpool

It probably wouldn't help you get the job but street cred would go through the roof when you turn up at work on the bike though                                                                                                                                                                              
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

I've sent it off in an email without it mentioned! Unhappy

Daren't risk it being an issue.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

But did u mention yr dodgy leg, yr beady eyes, or that yr a rite gobby mare?Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

No, I thought I'd let them find that out at the interview. Wink                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Just tell them your a good christian and always eat fish on a friday.                                                                                                                                                                             
Alice2's Profile
Alice2

In: York
33% Karma33% Karma 33% Karma33% Karma

Good luck, Lisa Thumbs Up
Might get your advice on CV writing sometime !!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Don't include the homing signal your car has for Ninja's                                                                                                                                                                             
potnoodles's Profile
potnoodles

In: Sheffield

Alice - we have a few acres down here for you to practice ten point turns in - we have cut down the hedges and cleared all the adjoining fields for you as well !!!!!!!!Wink   GL btw Lisa                                                                                                                                                                              
chickflick75's Profile
chickflick75

In: Merseyside

Go for it Lisa - don't tell them until you get the job - then turn up in your clad on your bike (element of surprise) - don't forget the shake of the head when you take your lid off LOL (in case you wondering no it never worked for me that bit!!!)
Good Luck                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

Hi Lisa, I don't see why you shouldn't mention your bike in your hobbies/interest section of your C V. It's part of who you are, part of your life. As long as you mention other hobbies/interests too, something that shows you can work as part of a team, that way they can ask you about your other hobbies.   I remember putting on my C V about having a bike etc and in an interview the interviewer asked me about my hobbies and I said 'mainly motobrbikes' I didn't give her something else she could ask me about and it killed the conversation. Have you ever seen a human rabbit in the headlights? that was her lol   Good luck with the job you're applying for, let us know how you get on.                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

"Just tell them your a good christian and always eat fish on a friday."

Or tell them that you're a good fish and always eat christians on a friday?

Why not put bikes down as a hobby etc?  I have it on my CV and it's always a good talking point.  Plus you'd be amazed how many people ride bikes; just cos the guy is sat on the other side of his huge desk wearing his £2k Savile Row, don't mean he ain't a biker!

Recently I went to a meeting on my bike and sat there amongst a load of pin stripes in my leathers and t-shirt only to find that they all rode bikes as well!  The next meeting I went to with the same people (last Friday), I thought I'd go in the car all suited up and my clients turned up on their bikes because "I'd made them feel guilty about not using them" lol!!                                                                                                                                                                              
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

Thanks for all the good luck messages. Big smile

I think I'm going to have to do several versions depending on the job I'm going for. - listing rug making and balloon twisting as my hobbies on one, then add bikes to another Thumbs Up

@Chickflick - I always try the hair/head shake thing when taking my lid off too, but it never looks quite right on me either (more like a shaggy dog shaking it's head because it's got a flea in its ear) LOL

Loved hearing about your experiences Sandi and Geoffb

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I wouldn't mention the balloon you made for Heidi in your CV lol                                                                                                                                                                             
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

Embarrassed

No, perhaps I'd better not LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

Lisa, I have it on my CV , my last job I had a 40 min chat with the MD as he had just passed his test & had got his 1st big bike lol 

It did raise a few eyebrows the 1st time I used it to go to work on tho ... apparently not many people working for accountants use bikes & certainly not (according to one guy) someone who looked as feminine as me (suits n skirts for work Dead)                                                                                                                                                                              
picko's Profile
picko

In: wirral

yes i agree with geoff,the person interviewing you mite be a biker,and would be a good talking point.                                                                                                                                                                             
lisaj's Profile
lisaj

Just sent my CV off for several vacancies with the bike included - lets see what reaction i get to those.

Fingers crossed Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
GreyGra's Profile
GreyGra

In: Durham

Biking on your cv?

I think it depends on whether you think you can talk ot into a plus point. If you can say with some conviction that its about freedom, solo achievement, ownership, not taking the obvious solution, thinking in a different way, etc you might tick some of the buzz words the interviewer is looking for.
G.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 707 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption