ZZR Steering Problem! HELP!

19 Posts | Latest reply on 13/08/2011 11:27:13 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Jac-666's Profile
Jac-666

In: West Mids
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hey guys, thought i would make my first post a good un'   Right...ZZR 1100.  Me Dads baby, however while riding along...take your hands off the steering wheel and it is going crazy (nearly as much as me!) wobbling side to side (same when im drunk) and going all over the place (just like when i fall over).   If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and help me out. Ill be a very gratefull yampy bugger if you do!!   Cheers!   Jacq :)   P.S i am not an alcoholic lmao!! i actually dont drink much which is probably why i get in a bit of a state when i do :P                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Welcome to the nut house,
First of all, remove steering wheel and fit some handle bars, usually work a bit better on bikes i find!
Check tyre pressures are correct when cold, presume this is when bike isn't loaded up?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

WELL YOUR NOT REALY SURPOSED TO TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF  THE HANDLEBARS   WALL NOT BOTH OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

may need to get it to a shop so they can check bearings - head races etc . could be a number of things                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

If you have centre stand put bike on it then get someone to set on the back to lift front off ground hold bottom of form legs gently pull back and forward feeling for play if none check wheel bearings for play and then tyres if all ok book in shop                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

An old Gpz 500 of mine always did that, but I bought another bike before it got sorted.
Things to check
Front wheel balance, has it lost a weight.
Head bearings
Brake caliper seized maybe
Warped brake discs.
Front and rear wheel in line and straight. Front wheel bearings, and the rear ones too And welcome to the nut house:-)
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I would have thought   ZZR in particular should be rock stable and no handies should not be an issue,, even my KTM if your brave enough goes fine with no hands . Make sure you get this one well checked out it sounds like it could get worse and possibly lead to tankslapper woes .
harry worth's Profile
harry worth

In: west London

Had zzr1100's for 15 yrs, no probs with wagging bars, only with all my fishing gear loaded, sounds like sloppy head bearings, do as JP says put bike on stand pull down on back and check how easy it is to turn bars side to side, should be smooth but not just fall round. Over tight can have similar effect. If second hand previous owner may have butchered the bearings doing wheelies, its the worst thing for them. Wheel badly out of balance pumps forks up and down alarmingly. 
firebladejohn's Profile
firebladejohn

In: darwen

ive sussed it , unevenly worn front tyre , i had the same problem with my fireblade . is the tyre a michelin macadam there nown for it . anything over 40 mph it started  juddering .                                                                                                                                                                             
Jac-666's Profile
Jac-666

Heu guys thanks for th replies and if this is a nut house ill get on great. I actually forgot id posted this :-P

The bike was loaded up at th time, we had all just been to rock and blues biker festival on th bikes :-D

Front tyre is blown up and no uneven wear

Will mention to me dad the responses ive had!

Thank guys for your advice...hopefully he wil get it sorted soon...dont want him selling th baby reaper :-D

Jacq x
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Could be just over loaded and front end to light ?                                                                                                                                                                              
Bandit_Mr_P's Profile
Bandit_Mr_P

In: e.g.Hollingworth

Jac,   I had a couple of ZZR-600s for 9 years, and experienced exactly this problem... and solved it.   Mine occurred after a rear-tyre replacement, and the bead of the tyre wasn't *quite* seated correctly.  The tyre had the smallest run-out noticable, and the cure was simply to have the tyre removed and re-seated.   I don't know if you've had a replacement tyre recently, but I'd check the bead, both sides, for run-out, and have it re-seated.   That *may* cure your problem.                                                                                                                                                                               
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

In: grantham

i'd go with the tyres too.                                                                                                                                                                              
Jac-666's Profile
Jac-666

Dont think th front end was too light..had.my 16stone hairy arsed dad leanin lol :-P

Think ill get him to check th tyres first..if he needs sum weight on th back ill sit on it..that usually brings th front end up :-P

Jacq :-) x                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

hi jac 666 my zzr 1100 was doing the same thing last week front tyre was to blame so try that as well get the front bearings checked as well just on the save side but yeh new tyre should be the prob ////                                                                                                                                                                               
Jac-666's Profile
Jac-666

Well spoke to me dad..he sed it happens wen not loaded so loading eliminated..bike not long gone thru mot so dont believe it to be bearings etc...he sed th front wheel had gone super flat recently so going to take the front wheel into shop to get it checked!! Thanks again guys and will let you no wot woz up wen we solve it as to help any others!!

Thanks!!

Jacq :-D x
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

if the tyre had gone flat when riding it is possible to damage the tyre as it can overheat, and is more susceptible to damage from debris, potholes etc when it is underpressure. Don't trust an MOT either, as mechanics can make mistakes, overlook things, or simply just not check.   unfortuntely taking the front wheel wont rule out things like the head races which are in the head stock - if I remember correctly - weren't ZZR11s quite hard on head races?                                                                                                                                                                               
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

nope, they were only hard on them if you wheelied it.

Had 3 of them and never had to even replace he head bearings, did have to adjust them once though.

Plus the front tyre pressures are crucial on them .... 42psi, anyone tells you different they are wrong                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

cheers Shadow - might have been another large cc sports from the same era - maybe FZR1000 or GSX1100F   possibly the exup then, I know I had to replace the ones on my 400exup a couple of times.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 615 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption