Chain wax/Chain Lube 'confused'

18 Posts | Latest reply on 24/08/2011 17:33:31 by Greg62 | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I've been looking for a good chain wax(non fling). I think Googling something can cause problems as I went to buy some Wurth chain wax and found  that there is chain lube and also chain wax, guy behind the counter suggested I should lube the chain and then wax it. Do i really have to do this?. I've always used chain wax, but i do have to say i've just another bike after a 4 year break and want do what's right without out being silly. I've settled for  Wurth HP dry chain lube.
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

Good choice I've been using the same for years, you do get fling off it if you put it on just before riding, but if you put it on the night before it's good. :-))                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

What wheel said ... its what I use & I know Ian has used it for years, never have an issue with it                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

every bike manual i have ever read says use engin oil  put it on the night befor   with a drip tray under it and thats all you need if its sticky oil   dont for get the dirt sticks to it as well   beter to get a chain oiler   they fit to the bike and do it as you ride  and thats only engin oil                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

like CLive said - engine oil is pretty good, especially if you are trying to resurrect an old chain (my Dad used to do it). But needs to soak in then be wiped off.
Chain lube is best put on after a journey when the bike is still warm, and the lube tends to penetrate better, then wipe off the excess after a few hours.   I did use an oiler once, but it tended to run out quicker than I expected and I could never get it set right. Also mate put wrong oil in his and blathered his mate following him  in what seemed like veg oil on a run out . :-)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

found this if it helps shed any more light   http://www.esportbike.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-70...70108.html                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

problem with the wax is its so thick it dont work in to the chain my mate had one you put on a gas ring on the cooker  and you boil your chain in it   he never had any problem eith his chains   i prefered the oiler   trial and error for the settings and i used a good thick oil to                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Only trouble with the boil type is you can damage some chains so if used make sure your chain is ok with the heat caused when boiling                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

sorry that was a littl misleading i did not mean literly boil it just hot enough to melt the wax   only trouble i can remember him having with it was his wife it was a little  messy and it stank                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

What a carry on!   Get a bike with shaft drive.Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

lol @ XK!!

When I had the North Yorkshire Fireblade I was forced to lube the chain, rather than rely on the trusty Scottoiler that I have fitted to my bike.

What a pain!  With Scottoilers being so good nowadays, I can't fathom why people use chain lube!  And as Clive quite rightly says, if it's able to stick to your chain, then dirt will stick to it as well.  5000 miles further on and you've basically got what is a nice grinding paste wrapped around your chain.

Get a Scottoiler.  Seriously.  The best £70 you've ever spent.                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

5000 miles is a bit of a low estimate, mines just turned 20000 and the chain has still got plenty of life left in it, I would agree that if all you do is chuck chain lube at it with no cleaning at all then possibly 5 k, But I do clean mine out occasionally
The same can be said with the oil that you put in a scotoiler in that dirt and dust will still cling to you chain, perhaps not as much, but still enough to reduce the life of an un maintained chain. :-)
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

i have used wax but its horrible for clening yer chain dead sticky prefer lube or oil and better make sure chain is clean before you put it on or will cling the dirt to it (only my opinion like) lol

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Just make sure you wash the old crap off and reapply frequently....... I use degreaser wash with a brush and warm running soapy water...WD40...then a even spray of chain lube run it for a while after then apply when warm a little and often it allows it work in better...... that is why it runs a little when you apply it ..it has a thinner that evaporates then allows it to grip once it has penetrated inside the chain.
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

Geoff right Scottoiler for me and yes the chain does last longer with a minimum of attention                                                                                                                                                                              
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

i use wd40 for cleaning have a new chain now so i might invest in scott oiler eventually but part of going out is oiling the chain (occasionally lmao)

But its an important part of the bike though and I have done some really stupid things like cleaning it with a metal suede brush brought it up lovely it did,  till someone informed me about the o rings (OH dear) we learn by doing but sometimes we need to be told what not to do as well! Well I do Confused

(definately a magpie moment ...oh look how shiny it is)                                                                                                                                                                              
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
73% Karma73% Karma 73% Karma73% Karma

If you don't want a shaft drive, then get a classic MZ. The chain lives in a rubber housing and lasts almost for ever.
Don't knock MZs, they were well-engineered bikes. Just a shame about the finish, the plank-like seats and the apology for a front brake. Motorcycling like it used to be!                                                                                                                                                                             
Greg62's Profile
Greg62

In: Chesterfield

+1 on the MZ, Wills, but you forgot the shocking tyres Smile I remember inspecting the chain (there was a little rubber bung you had to unplug to check the tension) and I was astonished not only at how clean it was, but also how small it was - it looked more like a pedal bike chain than one for a motorbike.

Running such a high precision component as a chain in the open, inches away from the road grit, is a pretty stupid thing to do, and I don't understand how it came to be "fashionable".

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6563 seconds. There are 698 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption