Triumph T509 Speed triple - battery problems

8 Posts | Latest reply on 31/07/2011 12:20:49 by Wills | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

My bike seems to have developed a habit of discharging the battery over night - which is obviously highly inconvenient...there is definately something drawing power even when the ignition is off. My mate reckons it could be corroded connections in the starter motor or a dodgy regulator....has anyone else had any problems like this. At the moment I'm just thinking of inserting a breaker on the -ve battery lead so I can disconnect it easily over night as a stop gap measure [I'm off to the lakes on it next week!!]  Any ideas would be appreciated!
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

In: chester

Hi Russ , Is your bike actually charging the battery ? if yes is the battery holding the charge ? is the battery old ? have you got heated grips on the bike ? as i had a similar problem on one of my bikes in that although the ignition was off for some reason the grips were still draining power , i firstly pulled the fuse on the grips , and the problem cured , so i replaced the grips and had no other problems , so i would check your bike is charging the battery first ? hope this helps ?????? good luck , kev
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

No I don't have heated grips - the bike is definateley charging the battery cos I jump started it yesterday and it was fine after I'd done a few miles- if I pull out the 40amp starter fuse will this isolate the battery from the starter??

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Not sure pull the fuse and see if you have any power to anything maybe still hazard lights                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

well the plot thickens - got up this morning armed with charged spare batteryand it hasn't discharged! Bloody bikes!!Angry

mickyd's Profile
mickyd

I guess the first battery is the problem ? not holding a charge .                                                                                                                                                                             
mickyd's Profile
mickyd

ignore the last post ...... got my thick head on !!!!!!! sorry                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

I had a very similar problem on the car a few years back. Everything switched off, but discharging at about 2 amps. 
Turned out to be a faulty regulator.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3750 seconds. There are 1555 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption