F1 going to Sky

19 Posts | Latest reply on 03/08/2011 18:06:04 by davidneale | Go to original / last post
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

In: London
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

I have been a life long follower of F1. It has always been on free chanels BBC then ITV then back to BBC. Now I hear that it will be going to SKY, probably next year.   I personally don't have Sky and and don't really want it. So it seems that my following of the sport is going to be difficult and nie on impossible. OK the europian races will be in my grasp, if I am prepared to travel more but the other races are out of my price bracket.   Bernie Eccelston is already a multi billionaire and so is Murdoc (NOT EXACTLY FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH AT PRESENT). It strikes me that the deal is based on the greed of two men, that disregard the pleasure of the masses. It can be seen from the people who have permits to be on he start grid, that the sport is dominated by money. But a large percentage of that money comes from sponsorship and in turn advertising which we view on TV. We fans indirectly fund the sport by purchasing the advertised products.   How long will it be before MOTO GP, World super bikes and British superbikes take the same route. I am a fan of these also.   FROM A VERY PISSED OFF FAN WHO HAS NO INTEREST IN SKY TV. BUT IS PASSIONATE ABOUT F1.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Agree.

Its all about money, not fans.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Never could understand the fascination of FI, especially when compared to bike racing. Lotsa cars going round in circles, with very limited opportunities to overtake. Manic commentators, voices rising to a crescendo at the slightest 'event'. The only excitement being the inevitable crashes - how sad is that? Oh, apart from the pitstops - yawn, yawn. Will someone please enlighten me. Bored, XK                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

Thanks for posting a new topic, but please note that it's not allowed to post forum subjects ALL IN CAPS.  I will fix this one time.   Cheers                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Sorry Matt I did not realise about caps     XKLYBR I would not attempt to enlighten you as to peoples interest in F1 and how it works. There is a particular popular sport, which is very boring for me. However I would not slag it off. Each to their own sport.   The point of this thread is that SKY tv is getting the TV contract to F!and reducing the oportunity for many people to view.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

I agree David ... how soon will it be before the rest of sport goes ... isn't this how Sky ended up getting hold of the Football ?  Little bit 1st then it all. 

How long till the only thing you will be able to watch on TV is stuff thats made for telly, live stuff, sports, music etc etc will be pay per view?

Simon66's Profile
Simon66

In: Peterborough

When ITV gave up the rights to screen F1 Bernie Ecclesatone stated that he would never sell the TV rights to a company where the fans would have to pay to view the races. Thankfully BBC took the broadcasting rights back, not least because ITV coverage was crap anyway. The BBC have now said that they cannot afford to keep the contract for F1, and just two weeks after that statement when they've gone into a partnership with Sky they have stated that they have 10,000 extra viewers for F1 this year. They have also said that if they keep F1 they will have to stop BBC4, a channel which I have yet to find anyone who watches routinely, and they admit themselves is losing viewers. I don't have Sky, have no desire to buy Sky, and certainly wouldn't pay for a Sky package just for F1, although Bernie Ecclestone in his statement has said that there will be more viewers of F1 as a result. Personally I can't see that being the case, and I know many F1 fans who have said that if they can't see the full season they won't watch any of it. As a racing fan of many years, a former race license holder, and former marshall, as well as having relations who have been involved in motor racing at different levels in the past I am dissapointed and have written to Bernie Ecclestone and the BBC to air my views, both of which will of course be ignored. As Shell says, this is the start of the end of motorsports of all descriptions on free to view television.
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Nice one Simon66. I seem to be in the same boat as you. I have no intention of paying for Sky. Most of my friends are into football and have Sky, however they don't like F1. I don't know if this applies across the board, but if it is representative for the populous, then take away people like us and I am not so sure the viewing figures will increase. I hope they fall considerably and these greedy people get what they deserve. I know you are not likely to get a response from Eccelstone, but if you could give me the contact, I will try as well.                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

Sky's sports coverage is the best - BBC only showed it justify the licence fee and ITV was shoddy. Having 100% sports channels means they can invest in the quality. Football and cricket are good examples. F1 coverage will improve. Whilst it pains me to pay the £x per month, it is worth every penny. Best bet is to go to your local boozer or radio rentals, which will probably show it FOC
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Big Al Thanks for your comments. However I am not yet convinced Sky sports will have a better coverage, as it hasn't started yet! There will be a number of retired people who will not be able to afford to pay for Sky and are probably struggling to pay the licence fee. The current team of presenters (in my opinion) are the best we have had for a while. My local pubs are dominated by football and horse racing. The rule is the majority decide what channel is shown and I would be out voted. Do Radio Rentals still exist?                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

A brilliant result for the Brits: Jenson Button 1st, Hamilton  4th Di Resta 7th in Hungary                                                                                                                                                                              
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

Radio rentals was a blast from the past Embarrassed - Dixons will show it with all those TVs, but there may be no soundDisapprove Sadly - people who can't pay don't get a lookin in life.    The price of a test match ticket or a season ticket at Arsenal are a good example.   You realise that paying sky (as painful as it is) isn't as expensive as the real thing                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Big Al The price of a test match ticket or a season ticket at Arsenal are a good example. You realise that paying sky (as painful as it is) isn't as expensive as the real thing.   I take your point on these but I am not happy. Are you a Sky TV salesman?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

a great result in someways today - but it means that the young barron is pulling further away at the top.

Once upon a time, we all knew boxers - bruno because they had good exposure on the telly. then boxing went to sky and i am pretty sure that not so many folk would know joe calzaghe.

big mistake this - might mean more money but i am pretty sure it is going to marginalise the sport.
Stroggyman's Profile
Stroggyman

In: Liverpool

CAnt really say that it would bother me to be honest its all got a bit boring in recent years as its more to do with stategy than actual racing ant is more of a procession than a race these days Thumbs UpThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Stroggyman  Thanks for your input, but the subject is not about liking F1 or not. Its not having access to freeview F1 and many other sports. some of which you might be into. Such as Moto GP or superbikes.                                                                                                                                                                             
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
26% Karma26% Karma 26% Karma26% Karma

I'm not really into F1 but I know some people that are and they're less than impressed by the sell out of the BBC in this regard.  To me it's another thing that just looks like the ultimate monopolisation ofsport to Sky at the detriment of the fans.  I can't see how moving it to a subscription service can increase viewers at all, it's a completely nonsensical statement.

As has been said, it just stinks of greed with the stinking rich just getting more money they can't take with them!
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

Sky TV salesman - Censored                                                                                                                                                                             
davidneale's Profile
davidneale

Say Ten Thanks for the input. As you can read in earlier post it my feelings also.   Thats a good name you have and the picture is in line with the name. I hope that was the intention. If not apologies Handshake                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 1.0313 seconds. There are 1771 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption