Spain 2012

44 Posts | Latest reply on 16/05/2012 17:40:44 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
fronkey's Profile
fronkey

In: Wigan
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

TongueJust to give you all a heads up on a spain trip i will be running so people can get questions in early and start saving.   This will be an 8 day trip   Day1 ride down to portsmouth (do your own route make it a good one) Day 2  ferry accross to santander Day 3 Arrive in santander drop kit off in bilbao and head in to the mountians Day 4 mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 5 mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 6 Mountian routes - back to bilbao in evening Day 7 Pack up day riding ending at santander ferry port to catch ferry home Day 8 arrive in old blighty   Hotels tend to be Ibis double or twin rooms and the ferry is based on 4 people sharing a 4 berth cabin - keeps the prices affordable.   Any questions ask if you have never been abroad before this is great for you i have lots of tips hand help ive been in and out of spain for the past 10 years.   fronkey   http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/events/event_details.asp?event_id=1787                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. Cheers Stella Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Stella

There are a number of very beautiful cities in central Spain, several of which are World Heritage sites.

One of these is a walled city called Avila which can't be that far of your route if you're going from Santander to Marbella and is pretty much half way as well.  I'd look there if I was you.

Another option, although this may be too far south and too out of the way is Merida, which is one of the most amazing cities I've ever been too.  If you decide on this though, don't book a hotel in the city centre, because it's on the top of a really big hill (there are outdoor escalators to get tourists up there ... I kid you not!) and all the streets are really narrow and cobbled.  However, there are a number of very nice hotels around the bottom of the hill in the New Merida area.

I've stayed in both of these cities and they're stunning, although my choice if possible would be Merida.  (You could even tie it in with a visit to Caceres to see the aquaduct running over the city.)

If you want more info, let me know.                                                                                                                                                                              
loving it's Profile
loving it

In: Bradford

This sounds like a good trip......need to get the carpel tunnel sorted though to be able to ride the miles!!!!

I'm a possible Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Big Al..'s Profile
Big Al..

In: Rugby

May be up for this - have to save me pennies                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

sounds like a great trip, and a good time of year.  Don't go in July like I have (here now) - it's painfully hot.  Ok I'm on the south coast near Morocco so I should have expected it really.                                                                                                                                                                             
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

its just a quick trip over to al mahreb morrocco as well while you in the vacinity ...

madrid is good (El prada) as is barcelona, (Gaudi) also has large outdoor excalatiors to get up gaudis park, valencia, oldy worldy, granada (great with the palace)gardents etc

Down through the centre as well the mountains houses etc all on the way to marbella
triple1's Profile
triple1

In: Preston

Fronkey,   Sign me up for this trip, getting time off no problem. Just let me have the details when you have finalised trip. Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
fronkey's Profile
fronkey

Sweet - I love north Spain the roads are amazing and so quiet also they tend to have shell grip on the corners in the mountains - grippy just doesn't do it justice.

The ferry crossing is cool to with a pool and cinema on the boat! I'll post some pictures of previous trips
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I've done the Plymouth - Santander and I concur, the Santander ferries are very good indeed, probably the best I've been on.

Indeed, on the return trip there was a small "band" travelling who took over the piano lounge (the resident pianist sat down and enjoyed the show lol) and it was a brilliant night.                                                                                                                                                                              
Bat's Profile
Bat

In: Warwickshire

Was thinking travelling to Spain next year, might be an option to go with you guys!!                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

could be a possibility for me but would't know till late on                                                                                                                                                                               
fronkey's Profile
fronkey

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. I once managed from santanger to fengorola in a day!! on an SV650 if you get the chance -dont do it lol. Try heading down via leon (turn figh out of santander) thats a good route hostels in spain are actually like motels and are all ensuite private rooms and very cheap.                                                                                                                                                                              
loving it's Profile
loving it

What sort of daily mileage are you thinking of doing?.....i only ask, because if i don't manage to get my carple tunnel sorted this winter i need to know i can keep up.                                                                                                                                                                              
fronkey's Profile
fronkey

actually not that bad 100-150 max if that. I ride an R1 and im happy enough but I well say some of the roads are very twisty and heavy on the brakes which means heavy on the wrists.                                                                                                                                                                               
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

so we're only having short rides then                                                                                                                                                                               
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Funny you should mention this me & Spesh are off to Spain in August, Going Portsmouth - Santander & then off down to near Marbella. Reckon it'll take us 2 stop overs to get down there (once in Spain), but not too sure whereabouts to stop so if you've got any advice on anyplace good to stay for the night we'd most appreciate it...not planning on going on their motorways though. hfg don't necessarily dismiss the A67, the motorway between Santander & Burgos...It's bloody amazing. What an engineering feat. We had never encountered gradients on a motorway like that before and the route through the picos de Europa mountains is stunning...this is a very wild and dramatic, and green part of Spain... I really envy you                                                                                                                                                                             
earthwind's Profile
earthwind

In: Liverpool

i tghink it looks good i wasnt able to go on the germany trip this year (lack of funds) maybe by next year i will                                                                                                                                                                               
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

Ooops think I made a boo boo the far out amazing spanish motorway I was thinking of is actually the A66 which is further west lol...but picos are definitely worth visiting if you can                                                                                                                                                                             
loving it's Profile
loving it

Could manage  that mileage Fronkey, no problem......Look forward to seeing the full plans.Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5938 seconds. There are 677 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption