Ethanol in petrol

15 Posts | Latest reply on 11/07/2011 21:09:56 by Rooster roo | Go to original / last post
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

In: Nottingham for n
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Have heard that an EU directive to put more ethanol in petrol to supposedly cut emissions  can be damaging to some motorcycles and classic vehicles as reacts with certain metals. Does anyone know anymore on this or experienced any problems using certain petrol suppliers?? Full article on this link http://www.jawaczownersclub.co.uk/technical_advice13.htm   Some concerns have been raised recently about the use of ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, in petrol.  The product added to petrol may also be called bio-ethanol to link its use with non-fossil derived or renewable buo-fuels.  Bio-ethanol has been used at times over the decades, but its recent use is linked to EU directives to increase the proportion of automotive fuel derived from renewable sources, in order to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Ethanol has been blended into petrol in recent years by, among others, Tesco, who use it in their premium 99 octane unleaded petrol blend.  Ethanol has a very high octane quality, and so is a valuable blending component for use in the production of high octane unleaded petrol.  Its use in this application is limited to 5% volume and is acknowledged by a label on the pump according to the Tesco help line, although this may not always be the case.  Although the EU is believed to be considering the mandatory use of bio-ethanol in petrol in the future, at present it is to be hoped that classic vehicle owners would not encounter the blended product without some form of pump marking.  If any owners have concerns over using petrol containing 5% ethanol, it would be useful to check fuel before purchase by inspecting pump labels. Concerns expressed have centred on possible water contamination, degradation of plastic and rubber seals and possible negative effects on foams used in racing tanks to prevent fuel fires and explosions.  The position on these issues is not straightforward and is still being investigated in order to establish an accurate understanding.  Also, as the proportion of ethanol in the blend is increased, so any difficulties are more likely to become apparent. Although the 5% ethanol blend can give higher octane quality, volatility is also likely to be higher for this blend of fuel.  Some owners are already troubled by driving problems associated with high volatility (vapour lock, fuel starvation, bad hot starting etc. in hot weather), so using a 5% ethanol blend could make such problems worse.                                                                                                                                                                              
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I thought all petrol already containe 5% ethanol, and its due to go up to 10% but not sure when, and yes it is likely to affect some vehicles as stated in the OP.                                                                                                                                                                              
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

Is this a ploy to get more classic and old vehicles off the road I wonder...                                                                                                                                                                             
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria

think this is the reason Rooster

Reduced harmful exhaust emissions
Sustainable energy source
Reduced dependence on foreign sources of oil and gas
Biodegradable with no toxic effect on environment
Does not contribute to greenhouse effect due to growth / burning cycle
Cheap method of achieving high octane fuel
Many cars are already capable of running on ethanol with no modifications
Can reduce levels of disease causing emissions from petrol blend.

marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria

i quite like the stuff, beer and wine would not ne the same without it Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

Not wanting to open the fuel v food debate here , was just wondering if anyone experienced any problems using certain brands of petrol. Thumbs Up Prefer it in the beer n wine Marsey with you on that Beer                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

The biggest problem I have come across with older bikes is the issue of tank sealer due to the ethanol desolving the coating and clogging up the fuel system there has been talk of the resin in fiberglass tank being desolved aswell                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

if you get a chance have a look at this months vintage motorcycle club mag ...yep find an old git and borrow his ... they have been following the problems with eth for a while now if nothing else it can easily corrode your carb while your bike's laid up and it just loves to attack any tank sealant you've had put in .
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

ooppps sorry JP you just said that ...but the scary bits are the pics of eaten away float chamber etc                                                                                                                                                                              
Mr_GSXR's Profile
Mr_GSXR

In: Coventry

Hi all - thought I'd stick my penneth worth in as I've had a bit of experience with ethanol fuels. I'm a development engineer for engine management systems and recently I've done some work on flex fuel cars which run on E85 - 85% Ethanol / 15% Gasoline. All fuel in the UK will contain around 3.5% Ethanol regardless of make! This will increase over the coming few years but is strictly controlled by legislation. All newer bikes ( fuel injected ) will run happily with up to 10% Ethanol. Older bikes should run OK with up to 5% Ethanol tho some might need carb adjustment or 1 size bigger main jet as E5 runs slightly leaner. The big issue on older bikes as you have already mentioned is that Ethanol attacks rubber, solder ( so anything with an electric fuel pump ) and Aluminium. Replacing fuel pipe with modern good quality hose as fitted to injected bikes will help and draining fuel before laying up for the winter. However the probelm of tank repairs wont go away and is likely to get worse with time. Unfortunately - that's progress!                                                                                                                                                                             
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

Cheers Mr_GSXR is there any additive I can add to the fuel to combat the problem at all. Thumbs Up

Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
61% Karma61% Karma 61% Karma61% Karma

i'm building a new bike with an alloy tank GSXR have you done any test on tank sealants

Mr_GSXR's Profile
Mr_GSXR

Rooster Roo - I've not really got experience of additives as OEM's don't recommend them. I used to use RedeX in my younger days with no problems and it can't do any harm on older bikes. Don't use on anything with a catalyst tho!! Nothing can really stop the effects of the Ethanol.                                                                                                                                                                             
Mr_GSXR's Profile
Mr_GSXR

Bikerbill - Best people to speak to are the manufactures - they will advise!                                                                                                                                                                             
Rooster roo's Profile
Rooster roo

Cheers thanks for the info Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 999 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption