So Sad

19 Posts | Latest reply on 01/07/2011 17:55:58 by JP | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Yet another biker dies from the stupid actions of a car driver.. Unhappy

A motorcyclist who died on the A31 in Ropley has been named.The collision between a Suzuki Alto car and a Harley Davidson motorbike happened at about 1330 BST on Wednesday.Ian Kingham, 54, of St Helier, Jersey, suffered serious injuries and died at the scene, between Four Marks and Winchester.The 21-year-old car driver, from Alton, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless drivinghttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13895434RIP Ian Unhappy

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

'My dad fought cancer, only to be killed by a careless driver' THE distraught family of a motorcyclist who was killed when a car driver turned into his path say they will never forgive the woman who caused his death. Roy Smith, 61, was on his way from his home near Rotherham to visit his elder sister at Skegness when motorist Lesley Raynor failed to see him as she made a right turn. Mr Smith suffered multiple injuries in the collision on the A631 at South Elkington, near Louth, and died later the same day at Lincoln County Hospital. On Friday, Raynor, 43, of Wilton Avenue, Chapel St Leonards, admitted causing death by careless driving on July 29, last year. She was given 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £350 costs at Lincoln Crown Court. Judge Michael Heath, who banned Raynor from driving for a year, told her: "The motorcycle was there to be seen and you didn't see her. "Why you didn't is a complete mystery. "There was no drink involved. There was no excess speeding and there was no hurry on your part. You knew the road and you drove carefully that day except when you came to make this right turn. This was a case of momentary inattention." Phil Howes, prosecuting, said Mr Smith, who had worked as a dispatch rider, had his headlights on and was clearly visible on his 125cc machine. "It would have been hard not to see it," he said. Raynor, who was on her way to work at a children's centre, stopped immediately after the collision and after contacting the emergency services remained at the scene to ensure Mr Smith was not hit by any other vehicles. She later told police she did not see the motorcycle. David Eager, defending, said the careless driving occurred in just a couple of seconds. He said Raynor would live for the rest of her life with the knowledge that she had caused the death of Mr Smith. Mr Eager added: "She apologises to the family of Mr Smith." Mr Smith, who was a motorbike enthusiast from an early age, served in the army and later in the fire service before working as a long distance lorry driver. In his later years he was employed as a dispatch driver. He was a father and grandfather. The father of two overcame cancer when he was in his late 30s fighting back from the disease to return to work. His elder son Shaun Smith, 42, said: "I can never forgive Lesley Raynor for killing my dad. She needlessly cut his life short and took him away from his family. "He fought and survived cancer for 22 years only to be killed by a careless driver. "Dad loved motorcycling. He started riding bikes at 16. Motorcycling was his passion. He was a careful rider and instilled that caution into my brother and me. "The only comfort is that dad was out doing what he loved when he died."                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

can someone change the colour of this so we can read it please

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Your wish.......... as they say x                                                                                                                                                                             
clarkee's Profile
clarkee

In: Stockport
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

Yep, it really does make you sad and angry, that this keeps on happening time and time again. RIP                                                                                                                                                                              
drobess's Profile
drobess

In: Bedworth

Cry makes me realise how lucky i was after a blind driver took me out when she was turning right
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Asked a copper why they don't check eyesights at an accident. He said , cos they weren't qualified as optricians so wouldn't stand up in court.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

They are not doctors but they will check your breath..... surely there is a machine hell there is a simple chart that a medic is allowed to use in the military so why wouldn't a cop be able to do it then if they are in doubt they could refer for a proper eye test as they do with the breath test....ie run it with a properly qualified person back at the station or take blood from the duty MO
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

too much paperwork...                                                                                                                                                                             
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria

You Know what really pisses me off

1 Bikers life =banned from driving for 1 year,

THE LAW IS A F@CKING ASS

gixergal's Profile
gixergal

In: North East Linco
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

....causing death by careless driving on July 29, last year. She was given 200 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £350 costs at Lincoln Crown Court.
Judge Michael Heath, who banned Raynor from driving for a year, told her: "The motorcycle was there to be seen and you didn't see her...."
She got off too lightly. The victims family have the sentence as they will never see him again.

nitro70's Profile
nitro70

In: Huddersfield

So in other words, a life is the same as being just over the drink drive limit .. Same sentence .. similar fine .. Bloody P****s me off too If it happened to a politicians or a coppers family member .. i`m sure something would be done about it The law is a total ass in this country ..                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Same old problem. Driver looked to see if a car was coming. Brain said 'no'. ie bike just not registered. Whammee!                                                                                                                                                                             
gixergal's Profile
gixergal

In: North East Linco
12% Karma12% Karma 12% Karma12% Karma

Banned for a year?... they are having a laugh as she can apply to do the 'Reform'  course that reduces the length of a ban to 9 months                                                                                                                                                                             
Contradiction's Profile
Contradiction

In: Rotherhell

Instead of the community hours they should have made her get a bike licence.                                                                                                                                                                             
Gloom's Profile
Gloom

In: Southport

While I agree that failing to see someone on a bike with their headlight on is just careless if there is no other factor such as speeding or talking on the phone then it is an accident and although the loss of life can be disastrous for the family of the victim it is still an accident so the sentence seems appropriate to me.
If there are contributing factors in the control of the driver then I'd like to see it treated the same way as they do in the states and class it as manslaughter.

On the eye sight bit. There is no requirement for the officer to be trained, the highway code is very clear on the requirement. Read a new style number plate at 20 meters. All it needs is a police car and a tape measure. If you can't read it then you shouldn't be driving  and if you do it's an offense and a contributing factor in the control of the driver.  During July Merseyside Police will be testing eye sight to raise awareness of the law and warning drivers. So it they can do it for a month they can do it every time at an accident and it will stand up in court.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

I bet some smartarsed lawyer would claim his client was partially concussed / dazed, and thus his vision was affected at the time of the test. Maybe even permanently.   I hope Merseyside police publish their results.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

If they cannot check your eye sight at the scene of an accident ... how come on out driving tests we are asked ... can you read that numberplate over there ? 

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

ok eye test at the time would be as said my client was under stress after the incedent. so you get a 5 day notice that you must get an eye test and report with it to the local police station                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9043 seconds. There are 1972 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption