Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ 20th June 2011

14 Posts | Latest reply on 08/07/2011 20:10:34 by Bobsarny | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

'Ride to Work' Day - 20th June 2011   Each year, the motorcycle industry celebrates the benefits of motorcycling by organising 'Ride to Work' Day as a way of getting the message across that motorcycles are the best form of private powered transport for the daily commute. The day is an occasion when people unite to promote motorcycling, mopeds and scooters by getting active and vocal by holding events, speaking to the press, converting friends or just getting out on their bike.    I know most members of BM will already ride to work but it's not just members that read these posts.   http://ridetoworkday.co.uk/                                                                                                                                                                                 
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

If you’re in the South West on Monday 20 June why not stop by one of the Ride To Work Day Events?   Fowlers Motorcycles in Bristol, are joining in National Ride to Work Day by offering a free sandwich and hot drink* to any motorcycle or scooter riders plus their pillion passengers who turn up on a bike at their dealership between 7.30am and 3.00pm that day. These riders will also be eligible for a free entry to a prize draw to win a Weise Matrix jacket worth £159.99*. As an added bonus, any aspiring motorbike riders who book their CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) on the 20th June are being offered a discount of £50* by Ace Motorcycle Training. *Terms & conditions apply   If you’re in Devon, turn up at Torbay Motorcyles and show your crash helmet to receive a FREE Official MotoGP Patch (rrp £6.99) or Official MotoGP Track Day Flag (rrp £5.99)!! If you’re in the market for a new bike buy one on Ride to Work Day from Torbay Motorcycles and receive a FREE crash helmet!   Dave Death Motorcycles on the Isle of Wight is opening early from 8am on Ride To Work Day with FREE Tea, Coffee and biscuits for all those that stop there on their ride to work!    There are loads of events taking place, follow the link to find out what's happening in other areas.    http://ridetoworkday.co.uk/events/                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

From a professional point of view, I do personally believe that motorcycles and mopeds (or powered two wheelers to give them their official transport engineering term) are part of the answer to the congestion issues in this country.

For distances of between five and around thirty miles, they are the perfect answer in my opinion to the daily commute (less than five miles is cycle/walk territory and many would be put off by the thought of riding over thirty miles, twice a day, in all weathers).  And especially if that commute involves riding through a busy town or city.  And yet most people in this country have a commute of this distance and go by car, even if they have a bike in the garage.

I for one use my bike for most business trips.  Be this the daily commute, site visits, meetings and even the 400+ mile round trip to the head office that is required a few times a year.  However, I am aware that many would prefer the car for those longer trips or would rather turn up to meetings in a suit and I can understand perfectly why.

But if we are able to convince our biking colleagues to use the bike a couple of times a week, congestion could quickly become a bitter memory.  Plus the more bikes on the road during rush hour, then the more likely that car drivers will learn to look out for us, which in turn should help our accident statistics, drive down insurance premiums and making biking a much safer means of transport.

And we can do this by making sure that we all start using OUR bikes more often for work.  So get out there on the 20th for Bike to Work Day and why not try it on the 21st as well and the 22nd, the 23rd ....                                                                                                                                                                             
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Don't forget today peeps!                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
86% Karma86% Karma 86% Karma86% Karma

so come on who did it ?????????????                                                                                                                                                                              
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

I was going to esp as the M62 is closed but I've got no fuel and didn't fancy the chaos trying to get to the local petrol station so I've stayed at home and logged on from here. No congestion! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

i like your style Roachy lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

I thought about it, but couldnt find a way to fit my 27ft extending ladder, 16ft cat ladder, 20ft aerial mast, and all my tools on the bike, so I had to use the van again.                                                                                                                                                                             
anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport

Geta trailer Slidy Wink ( only joking  ......)
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

or a ruck sack lol                                                                                                                                                                              
kfoggy67's Profile
kfoggy67

In: Cheshire

Ive come to work on my bike today Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

I work 15 minutes walk from home and usually walk to work. Today, to support Ride to Work Day, I went by bike just to show solidarity. It did, at least give me an opportunity to do a bit of shopping so it did serve a practical purpose.                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

Cat any excuse to don the leathers i know lol                                                                                                                                                                              
Bobsarny's Profile
Bobsarny

In: Darwen

It must be a rare thing but its faster for me in the car because I dont do M/ways on the bike it squares off the tyres aswell as being dull and then the country roads call to me lol, one perk of working in Yorkshire and living in Lancashire ! I try to use the bike on Fridays as its early finish afternoon play time

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4688 seconds. There are 619 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption