Help, i need my sidestand shortened.

23 Posts | Latest reply on 27/05/2011 09:31:18 by loving it | Go to original / last post
loving it's Profile
loving it

In: Bradford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hi, i've lowered my er6 and the sidestand could do with
lowering as the bike is too upright when i park......one good gust
and it will blow overShocked.

I've looked at getting an adjustable  stand but they are too
expensive so i'm looking for a cheaper alternative. Any welders
about?

Thanks, Linda.

JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

Do you have any small engineering companys near you its only a small job or a blacksmith a back street bodyshop could do it                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted User's Profile
Deleted User

In: NA

Or have a chat with your local dealer and see if they have a smaller one they can swap it for?                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

can you just not just chop some off the end ???? there must be plenty of engineering places around you, if not get it off post it to me and i will get it sorted for you !                                                                                                                                                                              
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

Have you considered removing a little bit of the stop? It is literally a two minute job with an angle grinder and has the effect of allowing the stand to swing further forward, effectively shortening it.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

are they not just a flat plate on the bottom now Geoff, i think she has the same stand as my versys, it would be chop some off and re weld the plate or am i misunderstanding what you mean ???                                                                                                                                                                              
Ninja Lou's Profile
Ninja Lou

In: Swadlincote
22% Karma22% Karma 22% Karma22% Karma

Had mine shortend yesterday as I had the same problem and I had to push the bike over to the right to take off/on stand which wasnt very good for my small frame.  I had inch chopped off and plate re-welded and jobs a good n. So take JP's advice it shouldnt cost much or ask about your mates you never know they might no someone who can !
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

No Ian, I'm talking about the little stop on the stand bracket that stops it from swinging too far forward.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

gotya geoff !!!!                                                                                                                                                                              
loving it's Profile
loving it

Thanks for all the advice everyone.....I was thinking of having some chopped off and it re-welded  like it's been suggested Ian and yes i think it's like your Versys, which by the way how's it going with your new bike?   Geoff i'll have a look to see if i know what you mean.....i'm brilliant at diy but when it comes to anything mechanical i'm a bit useless. After saying that, i did fit the lowering braket with my sons help which i was very pleased with. Clap Ideally i would love to take a basic bike mechanic course but can't find one......oops sorry going off trackErmm   Ninjalou, i've pm'd you about details.....thanks.   Any welders out there who could do the job.....and the cheaper the betterWink                                                                                                                                                                             
Minnie the Minx's Profile
Minnie the Minx

In: Cheshire
3% Karma3% Karma 3% Karma3% Karma

There are no bike mechanic courses where I live but my local bike school runs ad hoc courses on request cos they know it's a problem for new riders. Might be worth investigating whether any of the bike schools round your way do that                                                                                                                                                                             
loving it's Profile
loving it

Thumbs Up Thanks Minnie, i'll do that.

Pleased to say i,ve found a lovely welder in bradford who'll do the job for £15.....only problem now is i've got to remove the sidestand.Confused

So if there is anybody local to me with experience of doing this i would much appreciate your help........pretty pleaseBig smile

Just to say though i have no garage to work  on  the bike in.....although i could take it in the kitchen again. It did look soooooo nice in there.

Thanks, Linda.

JP's Profile
JP

You can do it with the stand still on the bike would be a better way so you dont shorten it to much he can cut the plate off the bottom then take a bit off try and when the right angle is there place base under the stand and weld in place                                                                                                                                                                             
loving it's Profile
loving it

You can do it with the stand still on the bike would be a better way so you dont shorten it to much he can cut the plate off the bottom then take a bit off try and when the right angle is there place base under the stand and weld in place

Thanks JP but the welder chap said he would rather shorten it when it's off the bike and as the bike lowered an inch when i put the bracket in,  it proberbly just needs shortening that much.........oooooo i like this writing, very nice.Smile

JP's Profile
JP

Its only 1 bolt that holds it and a spring lean the bike against a wall in gear remove bolt when take off spring done                                                                                                                                                                              
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
90% Karma90% Karma 90% Karma90% Karma

Has the bike been lowered front and back??

If not and only by the back then it only needs adjusting by roughly half inch apparently, Something to do with geometry !!!

Dont shot themessenger i am only asking what somebody else just asked lol

I know nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

loving it's Profile
loving it

Thanks JP, i've just put it away so i'll have a look when i get it out tomorrow.

Hi Jackie.....yes it has and it runs lovely. Unfortunatly though i could only
find the bracket for the rear suspension in America.....and then i had to pay import tax on top Shocked!!!!.......now doesn't that writing look pretty.....small things please small mindsWacko......and somebody with too much time on their hands!!!

Phil blade's Profile
Phil blade

I can pop round with my toolkit and remove your side stand for you. All I ask for is a cup of tea (milk one sugar) as payment LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Dont forget the rich tea bickies                                                                                                                                                                             
loving it's Profile
loving it

Thumbs Up Thanks Phil, i;ve sent you a pm.....

and i promise to offer biscuits JP Smile                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.7500 seconds. There are 1108 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption