Continuous Insurance for vehicles kept off road.

12 Posts | Latest reply on 23/05/2011 18:31:17 by geoffb2005 | Go to original / last post
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

I just found this in one of the papers and wondered if anyone else has heard of it.  From next month 'Continuous Insurance Enforcement Rules', will make it illegal for owners to keep their vehicles, (it didn't specifically mention bikes, but they'll be included I bet), off the road without being insured, they say (over winter or while the owner is on hols).  I dunno about everyone else but I've allways got a 'long term project' thats in a billion bits and would never even fit on a trailer to take for a MOT,... a skip maybe.  It says that its to 'crack down on the 1.4 million vehicles used while uninsured'.  I wonder which delightfull person though this little money maker up over his/her corn flakes!                                                                                                                                                                              
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

This only applies if the vehicle isn't on a SORN. If the vehicle is on a SORN & off the public highway then you don't need insurance.                                                                                                                                                                             
Paj1369's Profile
Paj1369

In: Pickering (York)
13% Karma13% Karma 13% Karma13% Karma

There's no mention of the SORN thing in this article, strange that the papers mentioned it then?                                                                                                                                                                             
Holmfirthgirl's Profile
Holmfirthgirl

In: Larkfield

From the DVLA website:   The continuous insurance enforcement scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. This will apply to vehicles that are not declared as being off the road through SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and not insured. Continuing offenders will risk having their vehicle seized and destroyed. Where a motor vehicle isn't used on a road or other public place, there’s no requirement to purchase insurance cover for 'on road risk' as long as a SORN declaration has been made. The continuous insurance enforcement scheme is expected to come into force during 2011.     I would assume that the fact the papers haven't mentioned this bit is to stir up trouble (IMO)                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

i thought this was already in force!! maybe it was just mentioned and i didnt check the dates!!   personally i think its about time that teh scro**s who drive wi no insurance dont get away with it,,, but all they will do is get very minimum insurance and it probs wont cover when its needed if you get me... there is alwyas loop holes that peeps who want to get away with know how to.....                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

i dont know really how they work insurance out, i think its the style of bike and how they think your gonna ride it, for instance, my gsxr750 K7 750 cc cost 268.00 fully comp, my VZ 1600cccoasy 113.00 fully comp yet the engine is twice the size, and the new bike i am getting is worth more yet cheaper again ??? i think i will visit www.confusedtohell.com  lmao
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york

never heard of that before ill have a word with my dad he has a bike in the garage in pristine standing condition which never goes on the road now, (honda 750 f2) .im sure he will have declared it as off road to the insurance bods tho.                                                                                                                                                                             
Roachy's Profile
Roachy

In: West Yorks

Sounds like I would have fallen foul of this recently had it been in force. My MOT and insurance expired within a week of each other at the beginning of April. As I recovering from an operation and knew I wouldn't be riding I didn't bother sorting either out until mid May...the bike remained tax throughout.                                                                                                                                                                               
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

with this insurance thing i once asked about third party fire and theft insurance but found fully comprehensive cheaper, how does that work

Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

MCN in one of their advice columns did say that there was an exception to the SORN requirement. That was for older bikes that had been taken off the road before SORN was introduced. They, if not insured don't need to be insured either. That's just as well since I have a couple of bikes like that myself.
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

The DVLA are going to be sorting this out, so only law abiding folk who make a mistake, or forget will be done. The idiots who think they dont have to pay, will just not register the vehicle in their name.                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

The problem with the system is the fine of £100 isn't realistically going to encourage the gits purposely without insurance to go out and get some!

If they've been quoted over a grand (which isn't uncommon) for insurance, what incentive is a possible £100 fine going to be to pay it? It's ridiculous.

If I ruled the country, I'd give anyone found guilty of not having insurance seven days to get the lowest quote they can. Then their fine would be their lowest written quote (on letter headed paper), plus 25%, plus the £100 for court costs. And if the vehicle was found on the public highway it would be seized as well and impounded, at their cost, until they pay the fine.

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.4844 seconds. There are 291 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption