Herniated lumbar disc

43 Posts | Latest reply on 20/05/2011 16:29:43 by Brummie Jackie | Go to original / last post
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

slidy, slipped disc is indeed what they used to call a herniated disc (same thing, but terribly inaccurate name for it).  Glad yours is all good now still, sounds like the had the op i'm considering going for.   The reason for this topic is to do my own "stats survey" to see how many have had it done and who has had complications.  I've done enough research now and know pretty much everything.  But, one thing I find when Googling is that it's only those who had complications from it who post in the forums online.   People don't start forum topics online if the op actually worked for them - they just continue on in life and put it all behind them.   Picko - STOP SMOKING!  It stinks and people should know better in 2011.  Smoking is my pet hate.                                                                                                                                                                             
picko's Profile
picko

In: wirral
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

lol im goin to tyr mate after me op,coz i goin to try to get bak in the jim again,cos i put weight on cos i bin off work for 12 weeks so far and another 6 to 8 weeks after me op.i wud go for op if i was u mate,now days its only a minor thing,not as intrusive as it used to b in old days.i no loads ov people who av had it and r fine now.
pinkstorm's Profile
pinkstorm

In: Chester

Mark, stop talking like that and STOP smoking - its yukk y and costs loads SickSickSick                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

I still use the gym for 2 hours every day (well mon-sat).  You just have to be careful what you do and how you do it.  Was swimming last night for an hour and I'll be using cross trainer again tonight for an hour.   Is your disc herniated or just bulging?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

Just to add Matt, I agree with Picko's description of the op. The surgeon told me before that he was just going to 'shave' the bit that was sticking out. Im glad I had it done now, couldntve carried on in that much pain!! I was lucky i had the long suffering mrs there to fetch frozen peas to put on my back at 4am, roll oops sorry . . GET me a pain killer so i could get back to sleep, put my socks & shoes on for me in the morning etc.   I only personally know 2 other people who have had it done, and they're fine too. One around 10 years ago, and the other just over two years.                                                                                                                                                                             
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york

i whole heartedly agree with the use of copious quantity's of ganj to alleviate pain,i had prescription drugs that made me sick and jittery, dont be afraid to ask your GP, he/she may even agree with you  Ying Yang                                                                                                                                                                             
superglider's Profile
superglider

In: hastings

Hi Matt.              Just for your research I also had the herniated disc problem. The joints involved were L2/3 and L3/4. After the surgeon that I was seeing done a shaving job at the same time as a posterior soft stableisation The pain was still extreme although slightly less. That I had to bear for another two years until he decided that op wasnt a real success. after lots of phisio and hydro therapy. I was adviced to go for a two level anterior fusion. I went for it. The pre operative pain was so bad that my cardiologist thought that was a major factor in my having a heart atack aged 38 (forgot to mention that little episode) Since I had the fusion op in 2000 I have got my life back. I would estimate that I am virtually pain free for 90% of the time as long as I remember to look after my back as we all should anyway.                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

glider - That's terrible!  Fusions are really the last resort and are a major thing.  Doing 2 at the same level puts huge strain on the others above and below.  They're quite rare places to get a hernia L2-L4, what was the cause do you know?   Welcome to the site by the way, let me know if you need anything                                                                                                                                                                             
superglider's Profile
superglider

In: hastings

Hey Matt. the cuase of all my problems was a pickup truck cutting across my path. I tboned it just behind the cab(some say lucky for me ?) Flew Over the bars and cleared the truck (guess thats the lucky part LOL.) so I suffered a whiplass injury. the pickup drove off at high speed and nobody got his number. I was left unconcious in the road about twenty metres away from the impact site. O yes I could only afford third party cover at that time so it was a total loss for me. That was the end of my Bonnevile 18 months old and a wreck. Still that was back in 84 it meant that I had to leave the bike riding alone for quite a time but never dampened my want at all. All is good now as far as the back goes. Going to hit the big 50 this year so i'm expecting other bits to start failling soon Hahaha!!!  I do hope it all goes well for you fella I will never forget what that pain felt like for the rest of my days  Best wishesThumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
picko's Profile
picko

hi matt,erm i have a prolapsed disc,its sticking out a bit i think,so hes going to shave it away.the pain has eased a lot since i been off work,but symptoms av changed to pins and needles in my legs,knee,feet,toes etc,....before that it was like a knife stiking i nme arse lol.agony.im still bent fwad a bit ,cos i think im jus stuk in that position.,from muscle wastage.   i no wot ur goin through and av my full sympathy,but i wud av op if i was u,u got nowt to lose,it will prob fix u,as long as u have good surgeon.pity u cant get it dun in liverpool,cos its the best place apparently,in country,see us scousers r gud at sum things lol....
picko's Profile
picko

just thawt matt,wud ur bike b betta for u with renthal bars on it,a more uprite position,i dun me busa and av always been able to ride it ,even tho i have sore bak,leg.streetfighter store do a conversion for about 300 pounds.mite b worth avin a look into it ?
Matt's Profile
Matt

hey mate, yea i have the knife sticking in ur arse feeling every couple of seconds.  Left side.  Also like tooth ache in my shin.   You need to really look into the operation because there's no such thing as "Shaving it off".  The disc is like a big donut with a hard outer shell (material like a rubber bouncy ball) and a soft inner 'nucleus' (like a thick putty/jelly).  He will be ripping out some of the jelly nucleus.  It would not make sense to take away any of the outer bit, that would just weaken the disc and you'd end up needing a fusion.   My bike is a good position, i just dont wanna risk riding it to be honest.  I think it would be ok tho.  The car is worst, really badly designed seats with no back support.   How do you know how good a hospital is for the surgery??                                                                                                                                                                             
picko's Profile
picko

well im still goin to av it dun matt,i no theres risks,i not sure how u tell a gud hozzy,word ov mouth i suppose,but i no a girl who is a secretary to a cancer surgeon in clatterbridge hozzy ,which is on the wirral,and she says walton neuro is world renowned for spinal work and brain ops etc.wen i was in there other week the nurses were fantastic,lovely.
Matt's Profile
Matt

I'm allowed to go to any hospital in europe, everyone has private health insurance in holland,u have to.

But, it's the after care, getting home and having someone to look after me.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
91% Karma91% Karma 91% Karma91% Karma

I had a prolapsed disc which trapped my sciatic nerve, causing me 2 years of agony and walking around like an old woman lol

Difficult to explain th epain, closest i can get, think about when you jump out of bed in the morning with cramp in your calve muscle, now times that by ten and imagine it down your whole leg from buttock to insole ..... not nice i can tell you lol

Had the op to shave and release it back in 2007 and all i can say is so glad i did, virtually pain free, get the occasional twinge, life resumes to have fun.

Big decision to make though, as with any surgery there is always a risk.

Sometimes you have to weigh up the thought of life long pain and disability to the chance of normal existance.
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

i had back problems after i had my first child,, apparently ligaments soften up to move easily in labour,, when i had my second child i had severe pains and lost the feeling in 1 leg and i totally locked up solid,, i had a steel support corset made for me to ease the problem,, it didnt do a lot i must admit, i found my own way of dealing with leg numbness and constant pain with ganja and swimming,, the prescribed drugs often made me sick and jittery also very sleepy and vague,,.

having read peoples experiances on here it seems the fusion operations are very sucessfull, something to consider more matt,,xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

no no, fusion operations are about 70% successful and are VERY VERY invasive!  It's a bad operation and a last resort.
Also must remember that if you fuse 2 together then it puts more strain/bend on the discs above and below also.                                                                                                                                                                             
Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

ah righty, well im sure youll get it sorted one way or another chuck xx                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

Wondering what the neurologist us gonna say tomorrow. Probably try talking me out of it again but I'm gonna push this time.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

You need to really look into the operation because there's no such thing as "Shaving it off".    Matt, so far you have two people telling you they have had an operation to 'Shave', and one who is about to. I know what my surgeon told me he was going to do before he operated, and what he said after i'd had the op. Perhaps its called something different now, but maybe just a bit more research needed.   Good luck, and I hope you get things sorted soon.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.8281 seconds. There are 652 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption