forks

9 Posts | Latest reply on 05/05/2011 18:47:25 by WheelyNealy | Go to original / last post
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

im looking at having my forks revalved by Maxton  to cure diving under breaking and patter over rippled roads has any one had this sort of thing done and does it work Question   i really like my triumph but the front end drives me mad so is it gonna be worth spending £400 on them                                                                                                                                                                              
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

I fitted aftermarket progressive front fork springs to my 94 Triumph Trident 900. I made some 15mm thick spacers to tighten them up a bit as there is no front fork adjustment on my model bike. They made a massive difference to the handling and brake 'diving' and cost £85 inc p&p. I also put in a thicker oil than was recommended. I don't think that will probably help you WN as you're talking about revalving that I have no experience with! For anyone else though who has a front suspension problem on an 'old' bike, this was a relatively cheap fix for me and it looked as though the springs taken out were original so had been in 17 years! I got great service online from Bits4MotorBikes.co.uk where they ensured I got the correct springs after I made a mistake when ordering and I received them through the post in 2 days!                                                                                                                                                                               
Weirdoraptor's Profile
Weirdoraptor

In: Brough, E. Yorks

If it's an old bike, you could always look on ebay for a set of forks from a similar but better, maybe more up to date type of bike.  you could maybe get a complete front end for less than a re-valve job.  Aren't there any Triumph forums where members have already dealt with these issues? It may be a simple fix.
I re-worked my forks last summer, with progressive springs (£95), new seals (£15), lighter oil (£15), and hours and hours of messing about.  There's no adjusters on my forks so once the job was started it was trial and error with airgaps and stuff.  I got there at the third combination of oil viscosity, airgap, preload etc. and it was well worth all the effort, but whilst in the middle of it all i was wishing i had found some sorted adjustable forks to just bolt in.    Maxton are brilliant, but the cost vs. the value of your bike has to be an issue.                                                                                                                                                                              
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

rattay weirdo cheers guys i have thought about progresive springs im told the standard springs are too soft and rebound damping is insuficient  allso that bump damping is usless wich is the corse of the patter . now im allso thinking time and effort here too i rebuilt bikes in the past but ive had time to do these things, where as i dont seem to get so much nowdays so im just wondering if it mite be easyer to let the guys in the know do there thing and i can just enjoy the rewards Big smile  spoke to a chap tonight at catfoss who had done this to his old gixer he seamed to think the results changed the bike much for the better although it was expensive as weirdo says . im in no rush to shift this bike though as it fits me very well , so looks like im gonna be saving up my penny's                                                                                                                                                                              
Weirdoraptor's Profile
Weirdoraptor

In: Brough, E. Yorks

Glad i could help, mate.  Just in case you fancy D.I.Y., i got my springs from Norman Hyde (cracking fella),  it may be worth talking to him anyway, i believe he has a small amount of experience with Triumphs lol, and for the cost of a phone call he could put you on the right track. 
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

The original springs I took out were a lot shorter than the aftermarket progressive springs for my model and the original spacers removed were approx 80mm long. As I said I replaced them with 15mm length spacers. The guy who advised me to put in 15mm spacers and the oil, at first watched me sitting on the bike with the new springs fitted but no spacers, putting weight on the front end, to see the amount of fork travel. He then watched me riding and braking and then advised the new spacer size. Beyond my experience to do that and it would take a lot of fiddling to get it right on your own. It only took us  half a day to sort though, with the experienced suspension bod advising.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

Forgot to say I rode for a week or two with just the new fork springs and oil fitted. It took a while to sort the spacers from an engineering mate. The bike was fine without the new spacers in and even better once they were fitted (A ten minute job with the help of a friend!)                                                                                                                                                                               
geoffb2005's Profile
geoffb2005

In: Leeds

I've had the forks done on my CB and the difference was startling.

As standard it was very soft when braking and the damping adjusters didn't seem to do anything.  Now the forks seem more compliant than before over the bumps, dive far less and in a more controlled fashion and they've installed new damping cartridges so the adjusters actually adjust things!

Well worth it I think.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

thanks guys looks like they defo be an inprovement to be made then ! Rattay as you said you had the expert watching you and assessing it so although you put em in you didnt really set them up wich is why im thinking let the pro's do there thing they did say the spring would be set up to my weight and riding style (fat n frantic) so itll be interesting to see what a diffrence it all makes                                                                                                                                                                              

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.3438 seconds. There are 560 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption