Insurance

22 Posts | Latest reply on 01/03/2011 20:25:48 by ayjay | Go to original / last post
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

In: north Wales
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

question ! Does anybody know whether you're still entitled to drive after being injured in a previous accident ? I've started to walk again now on a frame or crutches and I feel that I want to start driving again.   There's nothing wrong with my movements whilst sitting so I can't see that there's a problem. It's only when I put a lot of weight on the bad leg that I have pain.    Anybody been through this ?   I've looked at my insurance doculments and can't seem to see anything saying that I am or that I'm not insured.                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

Drobess is prob your best person to ask as she has just gone through the same thing.

My understanding is that you have to get the ok from your doctor befor eyu can drive again, i may be wrong though lol

Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

Taken the words out of my mouth, BJ. I'd think you're probably OK anyway, but if the doc gives you the definite go-head you're in a much stronger position if it ever comes to an argument with the law or an insurance company over your fitness to drive. One of my family was involved in a horrible crash a few years ago that left her right arm and leg a mass of metal plates and nails, and she was able to drive perfectly well even when she had to be helped from the driver's seat into a wheelchair for a few weeks.                                                                                                                                                                              
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

did she have to have a note off the doc ?  cos that in a way is where I am - plates and pins in my leg and wrist - I've been home from hospital for just over 9 weeks now and not a single doc has been to see me, not that I've needed one.  I look after myself as I live on my own with no help off nobody.  So in a way the doc doesn't even know anything about my progress to even have any idea of whether I can drive.   Probably another way of money making
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
96% Karma96% Karma 96% Karma96% Karma

You will need a note saying you are FIT to drive if you were involved in a RTA thay wont pay without it and you could find yourself with 6 points and a big fine.
If you drive a comercial vehical bus or truck if you are ever knocked out your bus/truck licance is suspended for 3 months                                                                                                                                                                              
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

I didn't have an accident in the car - I came off my mike in the dsa compound on the module 1 test.  I've not claimed for myself or the bike off any insurance company.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

I need to do more wrighting lessons lol If you drove a car tomorrow and had a bump your inc would not pay unless you have a fit to drive from the doctor as this was hospital treatment you may need to get it from the consultant surgon you were under. As for the dsa I would contact the heath safety officer for that area to make sure that the surface is suitable for tests and there is not a patten of candedates having falls                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
74% Karma74% Karma 74% Karma74% Karma

I think the commonsense approach would be to approach your doc. I presume you're in the middle of physiotherapy and all the rest: maybe the physio could help?                                                                                                                                                                              
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

I'm seeing the physio on Monday, which is ideal timing really.   I'm not seeing the surgeon for a month as he's in Wigan and I'm in North Wales so that's a bit more awkward.  This happened in November so I feel like I need to do things now.  Wouldn't mind if I'd been the type of person to sit back and not make the effort to do things and improve.  Think old doc Ferris needs a phone call off me :)
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

if i do get a note off doc Ferris, do I just file it away ? as the insurance company doesnt even know about this.  I've had no reason to say anything as i've not been driving and not claimed.

JP's Profile
JP

Pass dont know that but as long as you have a dated letter you are safe.
The DSA may have notified there ins so your ins is aware you had an off.                                                                                                                                                                               
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

hmmm you're probably right with the dsa bit - damned !!! Wonder if that will make a difference to how much I pay next year on my bike insurance.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

No if you dont claim thay have no reson to up your premium on hear say as far as thay are concerned no claim made                                                                                                                                                                              
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

hmm that's what I was thinking.  Think the first port of call is the physio on Monday seeing as I have an apointment with him.  whether I'll understans a word of what he says is another matter cos I havnt up to now.  Just guessed what he wants me to do :)   Then it's doc Ferris I think.   I'm so eager to get out that I tried the surgery a few mins ago, forgtting it's saturday :)                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

lol its Friday today lol                                                                                                                                                                              
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

bloody hell it is too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Jeez I'm losing the bloody plot here.   One day is so much like the next when you've been housebound for so long                                                                                                                                                                             
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

Now Im well pissed off - doc Ferris was working but now he's finished. So I've got doc McCabe phoning after - not the best so not good. Hmmm will be interesting me thinks. !                                                                                                                                                                             
fem-cbf6's Profile
fem-cbf6

Result !!!!!!!! Doc McCabe not so bad after all.   don't need any for of medical certificate to drive.  He says that providing I can work the controls and move my head to reverse and the hands with the steering wheel etc etc then there is no reason as to not drive :) roll on tuesday :)................or Monday, or Thursday...........                                                                                                                                                                             
BOBKAT's Profile
BOBKAT

In: Burns Country

Don't know about the insurance side but hope you have a speedy recovery Handshake.                                                                                                                                                                               
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
69% Karma69% Karma 69% Karma69% Karma

I'd still get it in writing, that you're ok to drive, then you're covered if you should be involved in another accident.   Hope you heal very quickly.                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6406 seconds. There are 884 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption