Cleaning Brake Callipers

5 Posts | Latest reply on 13/02/2011 19:42:45 by Say_Ten | Go to original / last post
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Been so long since I made it on here, where the hell did January go anyway!

Anyway, one thing I've never got the nerve to do is pull my callipers apart and give them a good clean.  However I don't really have much choice now as the brake has bound to the disk over the winter.  Anyone got any advice, decent guides, local and willing to give me a hand?
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

I would try and push the pads back then spray plus gas or similar around callipers then pump out repeat a few times then clean and renew pads                                                                                                                                                                             
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Tools req

Tooth brush

Small stiff type artists type brush

brake cleaner( toolstation do this cheap so i usually buy in bulk)

red rubber grease

G clamps to hold pistons example if you have got 4 pistons 4 clamps req

copper slip,

The job.

Remove callipers,

remove pads

use G clamps to hold all pistons except one

push out piston approx 5 mm with brake lever ( easy does it )

clean piston with brake cleaner and tooth brush

repeat with other pistons

now that calliper and pistons are clean paint a light smear of red rubber grease onto pistons

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE ANY OTHER LUBRICANT ON PISTONS OTHER THAN GREASE RECOMMENDED FOR BRAKE SEALS, AS IT WILL CAUSE THEM TO SWELL.

work each piston in and out a few times, to make sure moving freely
you may need the spare G clamp to help with the first push back
whilst holding others in place with other G clamps  ,

TIP, when the piston is pushed out it should move backwards very slightly when pressure is released, this shows piston is totally free.

Grease all calliper sliders pins etc with copper grease.

Give the back of the pads a LIGHT smear of copper slip avoiding the friction surfaces .

GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
19% Karma19% Karma 19% Karma19% Karma

Marsey's reply is both accurate & comprehensive ... Although I would add, take care not to damage the dust seal around the out side of the caliper piston.   But before you go to all that trouble, Give the caliper body a few sharp taps with a RUBBER or HIDE mallet, as its possible it's only the pad that has stuck to the disc. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES use a metallic hammer / mallet.   If this is case & the pad then becomes free, a few journeys with VERY LIGHT pressure on the brake lever should clean up the disc, bearing in mind you may need a new pads.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Say_Ten's Profile
Say_Ten

In: Solihull
32% Karma32% Karma 32% Karma32% Karma

Thanks for the advice, as it turns out the rubber mallet trick worked to free it up.  The bike is due a service anyway and I was planning on getting the brakes overhauled anyway, they get very spongy in use.  Just couldn't get it to the garage.  Although, I freed it up and then didn't get a chance to take it out and use the light pressure to clean up the brake disk, not enough hours in the day!

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.2188 seconds. There are 684 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption