Chat Room Abbreviations

51 Posts | Latest reply on 05/01/2013 04:39:14 by Sandi | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
68% Karma68% Karma 68% Karma68% Karma

I know this thread is an old one but folk still ask 'what does Y W mean?', or 'what does LOL mean?'. Two very commonly used chat room abbreviations/acronyms.   If you'd like an A - Z list of *STANDARD abbreviations PM me an email address to send it to and I will.     By *STANDARD I mean commonly used abbreviations/acronyms that are used on most forums /chat rooms, not ones folk make up themselves and no one else has heard of /seen.                                                                                                                                                                                
Wannabe's Profile
Wannabe

In: Dartford
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

not ones folk make up themselves and no one else has heard of /seen.   What.... like HMRC? LOL Wink I swear I didn't make that one up - honest! They're very very real... and a complete PITA Stern Smile                                                                                                                                                                             
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

do you want me to create an acryonym database for BM like i did for BikeChat?  We can add as many as we want to the list, I'll make it so that all staff can add new ones if u like.  Or u can email me lists and i'll import them.   Let me know if this will help, I can put a link into the chatroom for it.                                                                                                                                                                             
LINDAJ's Profile
LINDAJ

In: STOCKPORT

Good idea matt, but if you don't know there is an abbreviation how can you look it up?  Personally think a list is a better idea.                                                                                                                                                                              
Matt's Profile
Matt

In: Veldhoven
100% Karma100% Karma 100% Karma100% Karma

there's thousands linda, literally thousands.  I have about 5,000 in the BikeChat database already.   It's for when someone uses an acronym that you don't know.                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Yea but most folk don't use thousands Matt. Long-term users will know the most commonly used ones, but newbies don't and regularly asked in the chat room is 'what does LOL / BTW / BRB  mean?'   My list is alphabetical and only has the most comon ones in it. They are ones I have learned, and are used in most chat rooms and forums, over the past 11 years. The list doesn't include made-up acronyms, they are internet standard ones, and there aren't any Americanisms.      I've had 3 requests for the list already.                                                                                                                                                                               
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

thx kwak L8Rs                                                                                                                                                                             
Brummie Jackie's Profile
Brummie Jackie

In: Hobbit HQ
92% Karma92% Karma 92% Karma92% Karma

* mmmm feel a challenege coming on to find one thats not on Aunties list LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Y W Nealy   Niecey lol there are hundreds, probably thousands, that aren't on my list but that's cos they aint used in the chatroom.                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

B.U.M.P                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

n' grind ooops sorry wrong threadEmbarrassed                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Nearly 6 years later and still very much needed   Would you like an A to Z list (just one page) of acronyms, aka chat room / text message abbreviations?   PM me an email address then I can send a list to you, of the most commonly used ones.                                                                                                                                                                               
kaycat's Profile
kaycat

In: radcliffe Manche

well wtf  not seen this before ffs cant peeps just ask there bbf or the cia if they need to no and really dilligaff it will be snafu befor the day is out 
but still it made me lol and  lmao rofl 
it good to no your asl  atst it really dosent  matter afain  aitytb i like bm bykt
bw im awol scnr sete
xxx

Sandi's Profile
Sandi

What?!! Confused    LOL                                                                                                                                                                              
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Would you like an A to Z list (just one page) of acronyms, aka chat room / text message abbreviations?   PM me an email address then I can send a list to you, of the most commonly used ones.                                                                                                                                                                              
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Err Ermm   Isn't PM'ing email addresses against site rules Sandi Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

Technically yes, Em, but I'm not a spammer or in need of a British passport, so I think folk are safe giving me their email addys so I can send them a list of acronyms. I've been doing it for years.   You must have been away when we had the discussion about email addys.   Matt got fed up with trying to sort out aggro, that members found themselves in by giving out their email address to folk they didn't really get to know, and then being bombarded with crap email.   Matt decided enough was enough and put a blanket ban on it; tho I'm sure when he sees an email address he will look and see in what context it's being sent and act accordingly.    I don't ask members for their email address for any other reason than the acronym list.   I do suggest they create a new email addy if they don't want me to have their regular one.                                                                                                                                                                                   
Emzed's Profile
Emzed

In: Pickering
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

Aha, I see Geek   Well that clears that up then Approve   Thanks for the info Sandi Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

M P Em Thumbs Up                                                                                                                                                                             
Bikeabill's Profile
Bikeabill

In: Hull /Hessle
64% Karma64% Karma 64% Karma64% Karma

Sandi could't you just send them a list in a personal PM on here                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.5313 seconds. There are 721 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption