3 Points for Having a Cold?

20 Posts | Latest reply on 20/01/2011 16:53:12 by Deleted User | Go to original / last post
Sandi's Profile
Sandi

In: Huddersfield, W
67% Karma67% Karma 67% Karma67% Karma

Police have warned that driving with severe colds or flu could lead to motorists losing control of their vehicles and facing prosecution for dangerous driving.With the country in the grip of widespread outbreak of flu, doctors warn that symptoms such as severe congestion, coughing and sneezing can have a serious impact on our ability to drive. While there are no official figures for accidents caused by sneezing and cold or flu symptoms, university studies using a laboratory simulator showed that drivers who are ill suffered a loss of concentration and had slower reaction times, putting them at risk of being involved in a collision. They were a third more likely to hit the roadside kerb. Research compiled by car accessory and leisure retailer Halfords shows that 21% of motorists are currently suffering from colds with the most severely affected enduring frequent bouts of sneezing. As it is impossible to keep your eyes open when sneezing, cars owners are often driving blind. Around 2.4 million (8%) drivers admit to looking away from the road when searching for a tissue. The danger of driving while feeling unwell can be made worse when combined with medication or feeling tired. Professor Ronald Eccles from the Cardiff University Common Cold Unit, said: “Colds and flu vary in severity from mild to life threatening and severe colds and flu may affect ability to drive and make it risky. If you are suffering from a mild head cold then driving is probably OK. If you are feverish and feeling ill then do not drive.” Added to this Police warn that drivers getting behind the wheel while suffering from a heavy cold could be prosecuted.                                                                                                                                                                             
marsey's Profile
marsey

In: South Cumbria
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Who's job is it to think these up. Wacko

Anybody who has the Flu is incapable of getting out of bed let alone driving.

I wonder how many traffic cops have driven their cars while under the influence of a cold, a large percentage me bets.

anneka56's Profile
anneka56

In: Stockport

That's true, I have just got over flu and couldn't even drive my body from one room to another let alone drive a vehicle  Confused                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA

And my designated driver had flu all over Christmas and New Year so I had to do all the driving.  He couldn't negotiate his way off the sofa.                                                                                                                                                                             
julie j's Profile
julie j

In: Harrogate

it is true that you are impaired with a bad cold but the same goes for if you are tired or have the dreaded PMT or a car full of kids or just have taken some medication for whatever reason, it will be the same in summer with so many people on antihistamines,trouble is no one will admit it to themselves!
DynaToon's Profile
DynaToon

In: Consett

As it is impossible to keep your eyes open

I sneeze with my eyes open Clap I can do the impossible

Boodyblues's Profile
Boodyblues

In: york

i had the flu virus 5 days before christmas ,,thought i was on my way out!! drive?? i couldnt even stand up,,temp103 was soooo not funny.                                                                                                                                                                             
Rattay's Profile
Rattay

In: Bedworth
16% Karma16% Karma 16% Karma16% Karma

My absolute fave is sneezing into the full face helmet without the time to lift up the visor.   It's absolute yummy, and a little bit messy Tongue                                                                                                                                                                             
bandit lover's Profile
bandit lover

In: Birmingham

Dead Rattttttttyyyyyyyyyyyy
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

My mum ( god rest her soul ), always said 3 days getting a cold, 3 days having it, and 3 dayd getting rid of it, i always think of that when i get one....

Cataraptor's Profile
Cataraptor

In: Redditch

As marsey said, who thinks these things up? The nanny state has to make hard and fast rules about everything and not leave it to individuals' common sense. I had a flu-like episode a week before Christmas and the last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed let alone drive. Why don't these evangelical 'experts' and self-righteous cops just bog off and leave the rest of us to live our lives as we see fit. [Perhaps this should have gone into the random rant thread.]
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

.                                                                                                                                                                             
mungybear's Profile
mungybear

In: grantham

its not just "who thinks these things up" , but to think they actually get paid for it ???????Angry WTF? the world has gone crazy!!!                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
93% Karma93% Karma 93% Karma93% Karma

yep my boss will be pleased he now has to pay me for having man flu as I dont wont 3 points                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Yep who thinks this rubbish up,, and who in there right mind would want to get out of bed with the flue never mind driving!!!!

Being a girl it really does have to be flu to stop me, the kids still need to get to school etc.  Unhappy

Thinking Ill try man flu next time !! LOL                                                                                                                                                                             
Wills's Profile
Wills

In: New Brighton
71% Karma71% Karma 71% Karma71% Karma

I can see the spin doctors at work hereEvil Smile
The original piece starts off by saying that if you're so sick you can hardly drive, it won't get you off a charge if you have an accident. What's wrong with that? It's always been so.
By the time it gets to the end, the story has grown in the telling to the point where it's claimed you might be at risk for even taking the wheel with a snuffle, FFS!
Erm, I don't think so, somehow.                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

ouch shaza....below the belt that one !!!                                                                                                                                                                              
6ypsy's Profile
6ypsy

In: Clay Cross
9% Karma9% Karma 9% Karma9% Karma

Professor Ronald Eccles from the Cardiff University Common Cold Unit, said: “..If you are suffering from a mild head cold then driving is probably OK. If you are feverish and feeling ill then do not drive.” Thank god for expert advice, heaven forbid anyone ever has to make a common sense judgement!                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Your right marsey with who thinks all theses things up,lets hope these spending cuts with town halls n quangos get the chop sooner rather than laterCensored                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Hehe Sory Ian was I having a moment !!!!!!!

Big smile

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.6719 seconds. There are 883 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption