Stalling when putting in gear on cold days

19 Posts | Latest reply on 02/02/2011 20:03:49 by GreasyTony | Go to original / last post
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

In: NA
0% Karma0% Karma 0% Karma0% Karma

Hiya. Can any of you mechanically minded amongst you tell me why my bike stalls on very cold days when I put it in gear. I start it up and leave it running for about 5 mins before I set off but doesn't help. The only way to get it into gear and keep engine running is to rev the thing to death and put it in gear at the same time. ThanksSmile                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

In: Birmingham
95% Karma95% Karma 95% Karma95% Karma

Only thing I can think is if the choke isnt working you may have the bike running but will have no power until it fully warms up                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Could be a sticky clutch test it by putting the bike in gear & rocking backward & forward before starting off (best to warm the bike then switch off first)   Or as jp says choke is not working properly   Other suspects not related to cold mornings are the cluch switch on the bars & the sidestand cutout switch   scoobs                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks for the info guys. Can't be choke though because it's fuel injected. Sounds like could be a sticky clutch                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

In: Camberley
20% Karma20% Karma 20% Karma20% Karma

How does it run for the first 10 mins or so after setting off. Especially pulling up at junctions etc and pulling away from junctions,  roundabouts. Popping, farting, general lack of power, attempting to stall even after a short time? Any or all of the above. Initially sounds like a fueling issue.                                                                                                                                                                              
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

Why can't it be 'choke' because it's fuel injected.?   On EFI systems the mixture is richened via different components as opposed to a manual choke lever / cable. The end effect is the same. Slightly increased idle speed and an enriched mixture.                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Pulls away great Tony once it's in gear, no problems with power etc but is prone to stalling again if I put it back into neutral and then back into first again.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Do you have clutch drag when cold if so could be as simple as wrong oil                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

What's clutch drag? Sorry I don't know much lol                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

when you pull the clutch in and engage 1st gear the bike trys to move when the clutch is STILL pulled in                                                                                                                                                                               
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

Clutch drag .. when you are sat at lights in first and clutch in, do you have any tendancy to 'creep' forward. If you were to engage first gear with clutch pulled in and engine off, what happens when you hit the start button. does the bike start easily or creep/lurch forward whilst the engine is turning over. assuming your system allows you start in gear? Once the bike is warm, do you have any issues, Is the problem still there, or gone away?                                                                                                                                                                             
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

jp it does lurch forward when I put it in gear but only when it's run from cold doesn't do it after it's been riden.   tony, doesn't creep forward and it won't start in gear when it's playing up but will under normal circumstances, ie if I've just been a numpty and stalled. I don't have this proplem when it's warm.                                                                                                                                                                             
JP's Profile
JP

Try holding the clutch in for about 20 seconds before going for a gear see if that helps

Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Will give it a go jp, thanks for the advice. Hope I wont have too many below zero mornings to have to try it lol.                                                                                                                                                                             
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

it won't start in gear when it's playing up but will under normal circumstances, ie if I've just been a numpty and stalled.   Confused as to why sometimes it will start in gear & not others??   Would sugest, as JP mentioned, the oil grade being checked, along with an inspection of the clutch set up, and properly adjusted as a starting point. Every thing else is, unfortunately, a stab in the dark.   Hope this is of help to you.                                                                                                                                                                             
WheelyNealy's Profile
WheelyNealy

In: Near Driffield

could it be a sticking side stand switch wich moves out with the vibes of high revs. try putting some 3 in 1 oil on it push it in and out a few times may help ? then start looking at clutches and chokes                                                                                                                                                                             
wheelbarrow's Profile
wheelbarrow

In: Cardigan

I would say that the clutch is deffo in need of adjusting,                                                                                                                                                                              
Deleted Member's Profile
Deleted Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try the side stand switch too wheely.                                                                                                                                                                              
GreasyTony's Profile
GreasyTony

Did you get any progress or a fix with this Lone ??                                                                                                                                                                             

Remove these advertisements                  Advertise Here
Biker Match is a UK social, events and dating website by bikers, for bikers.  All British motorcyclists are welcome to join our large and exciting community free of charge in search of ride-outs, motorcycling events & rallies, biker dating & relationships, motorcycle help, motorcycle forums, biking news, racing news, motorcycle classifieds or just to get to know other UK bikers.  Create your profile and upload your photos now completely free.
Website copyright 2002-2024 www.bikermatch.co.uk.

Page generated in 0.9531 seconds. There are 836 users online now.

Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerGuardian       Site tested and approved by McAfee SiteAdvisor      Site PCI DSS security approved      Site tested and secured by Comodo HackerProof       Site secured and validated using highest 2048bit encryption